Start by marking “A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)

A Place of Peace

(Kauffman Amish Bakery #3)

Take a trip to Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, where you’ll meet the women of the Kauffman Amish Bakery in Lancaster County. As each woman’s story unfolds, you will share in her heartaches, trials, joys, dreams … and secrets. You’ll discover how the simplicity of the Amish lifestyle can clash with the “English” way of life—and the decisions and consequences that follow. Most ...more
Published December 19th 2010 by Zondervan (first published December 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Place of Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place of Peace

Start your review of A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
Sherri Myers
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jealousy and misunderstanding caused them to break off their engagement. Will their love have a second chance when she returns home?

Twenty-three-year-old Miriam Lapp had left the Amish community she grew up in behind after she broke up with her beau, Timothy Kauffman, four years ago. Now living as an Englisher in La Grange, Indiana, with her cousin Abby Johnson, Miriam is happy working in a pediatrician's office. But then one fateful day, she gets a call informing her that her beloved mamm has
Dianne
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this wasn't an Amish Romance -I would have thought that this was a comedy of errors. There was nothing funny about what was happening with Miriam and Timothy. It was sad, nearly to the point of tragic.

This was one of the most unrestful Amish novels I have ever read. The sub-plots were a bit more interesting than the main story line.

Essentially the story is about a woman who has left the Amish life due to several things, one a death of a child and two the break-up of a relationship. Now this
⚜️Trea
I enjoyed this book! I liked how it picked up a bit after previous books in the series and gave closure into the Miriam/Timothy Kauffman story. We got to reconnect with previous characters and get insights into their current lives. The story itself in this book was very engrossing, and it did have a good message about forgiveness. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author!
Lisa at Farm Fresh Adventures
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another winner from Amy in this series!
Tamsen
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love these Amish books about hope and fee and the importance they play in our lives. Mariam lap left Amish commit community several years ago and returns back after her mother suddenly dies. She faces heart ache from her past. She sees Timothy Kaufman the man she was engaged to and her wounds are reopened. Timothy sees Miriam and still has feelings for her but is in a relationship with someone else. A cute story about how love and God work together.
Natalie
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Such a sweet story! This is my favorite of the Kaufmann Amish Bakery series so far. I really enjoyed Mariam and Timothy's story and I liked how everything came together nicely.

I also liked the chapters from Jessica and Lindsay's points of view. I'll be interested to find out what happens to them in later books.

Oh, and reading about all the delicious sweets they make in that bakery was making me hungry!
Julie
Feb 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
The plot line was forced, and the book had so little character development that events in in the story kept taking me by surprise. The narrative was repetitive, and several plot threads were left just dangling at the end. It's been awhile since I read a book this poorly written.
Sally
Lots of misunderstandings in this novel and the ending exchange between Miriam and Timothy felt forced. Predictable happy ending. Plus is that family trees were included at the front and I referred to them more than once.
Mayda
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, christian, amish
Miriam left her Amish community four years ago, after a broken romance and before she joined the church. Content with the English life, but still feeling the pull of her Amish roots, she returns to her community at her mother’s sudden death. To her father and brother, she is unwelcome, and her younger sister scorns her, but her older sister and elderly aunt welcome her with open arms. This tale, the third in the series, follows Miriam as she travels the road away from the Amish and then back to ...more
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“When Miriam Lapp left the Amish community of Bird-in-Hand three years ago, she put the past behind her. But when her sister calls with news that their mother has died suddenly, Miriam swallows her pride one last time and travels back to Pennsylvania.
Miriam’s resolve to stay aloof from the Amish community falters when she learns that the rumors that broke up her engagement with Timothy Kauffman years ago were lies. Could it be that she threw away a chance at life and love, all
Brenda
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Miriam Lapp left her Amish community nearly four years ago, when she felt like she no longer belonged. She had been told that her beau Timothy Kauffman was cheating on her, so when an Englishers baby that she was watching dies from SIDS she feels as if everyone blames her and decides the best thing to do is leave. She heads to Indiana hoping for a fresh start. When she receives a call from her sister Hannah telling her that her mother has suddenly passed away she drops everything and goes home, ...more
Camille
A Place of Peace by Amy Clipston

This is the third book in Amy Clipston's series, the Kauffman Amish Bakery series.

I read the first book, A Gift of Grace, and you can read my review here. But I skipped the second and jumped right into the third. (Don't worry, I'll go back and read the second!)

In A Place of Peace, we meet Miriam Lapp, who left the Amish community before she was baptized. Even so, the rift between her and her family is so great she might as well be under the shunning...

Miriam is
Jackie Rogers
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third book an an Amish series. Is about lies, jealousy, anger and animosity. The Amish are just as human as anyone . Is a story of lost love and misunderstandings. A story of being lied to and believing said lies. Is a mess, but is God's mess. An enjoyable novel. Thanks to the public Library.
Cindy
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Book 3
Kauffman Amish Bakery Series
Amy Clipston
Publish Date January 2011
Zondervan
Fiction/Christian/General

Miriam Lapp, left the Amish community, heartbroken. Betrayed by her boyfriend, rejected by her family after the baby in her care died of SIDS. Leaving the Amish community and going to live in Indiana with her cousin Abby, seemed the only out that Miriam had. Four long years have passed and Miriam doesn't really fit in the English world, but her heart was so broken she was afraid she wouldn't
Lynda
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Miriam Lapp has left her Amish community due to a series of misunderstandings and made a new life for herself in Indiana with her cousin Abby. When her mother dies unexpectedly, Miriam returns home for the funeral and hopes to make peace with her family. After being rebuffed by her father and most of her siblings, Miriam is torn between wanting to stay and rebuild relationships and returning to her "English" life. Her choice is further complicated by her feelings for Timothy Kaufmann, her former ...more
Lindsay
This book starts out with Miriam in Indiana and living with her cousin. She get a phone call from her sister about the mother. She then rushes home to Lancaster. When she arrives there she and her cousin stay with their aunt on the back of her father property.

Miriam is struggling to make amends with her father and also with Timothy. She finds out that her sister made lies for she was jealous of her older sister Miriam. Her father and the rest of the community blame her for the death of a child
C Janet
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: amish-fiction
Its been a while since I wanted to read a book in one day. I did this one. I bought Vol 3 without having ever read Vol 1 and 2, I wasn't sure I would enjoy it. The book pulls you right in though. The setting is in Gordonville, PA which is outside Bird-In-Hand. Miriam Lapp had left her Amish roots for 4 years to live in the English world in Indiana with a girlfriend. Due to the death of her mom, she returned to PA. Coming back meant reopening and facing all the wounds and pain that she ran away ...more
Kate
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed getting to understand the storyline behind Timothy's upset over Miriam's betrayal which was hinted at in the 2nd book of the series, and felt for both Timothy and Miriam at something that could have been avoided had they actually TALKED to each other rather than just assuming something was true without confirming it with each other. One can only hope that they will both have learned their lesson in making assumptions so they can avoid that kind of heartache in the future.
I wasn't a
Larisha
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The third book in Amy Clipston's Kaufmann Amish Bakery series, "A Place of Peace" is a nicely done novel about lost love that is found again.

Clipston has created two believable characters, Miriam and Timothy, who are torn apart by circumstances beyond their control yet never forget each other. Miriam is the deeper of the two characters as she struggles not only with what she thought was Timothy's betrayal but a tragic incident that happened while she was babysitting, as well as her mother's
April Suter
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Miriam left the Amish community six years ago when she thought her family and boyfriend, Timothy, didn't want her. She returns when her mother passes away and finds her father and sister has not forgiven her so she returns to her English life. It is a struggle when you know the life of which you have been raised and when you are really not sure where home is. Should she discover why events happened like they did or except that time has moved on without her. And how hard is it to forgive when ...more
Karen
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Take a trip to Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania, where you'll meet the women of the Kauffman Amish Bakery in Lancaster County. As each woman's story unfolds, you will share in her heartaches, trials, joys, dreams ... and secrets. You'll discover how the simplicity of the Amish lifestyle can clash with the 'English' way of life---and the decisions and consequences that follow.
A classic boy meets girl, misunderstandings arise, boy loses girl; same thing again, and one more time. I think it was a little
Cheri Hoffman
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this entire series brings you up close and personal with the characters . You forget that this is fiction and its like you know each family . You cry and get mad and root for the best outcome...and it keeps you wanting more and looikng forward to the next book...as they build on each other.
Michele
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great story! This one has a couple torn apart by another's jealousy. But forgiveness and soul searching, plus a
little pushiness from relatives, puts the relationship back on the right path.
Tressa Jones
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the most amazing books I ever read as soon as I started I knew it would be good! It is so good to have something descent to read! This book was amazing and I highly recommend the Kauffman Amish Bakery Series to anyone who likes to read! It was awesome!
Shachi
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Typical of clipston books this is a nice feel good romance. However I would like to say the author's prose gets repetitive and boring which lets the pace slip. I was looking for a light read after reading Khaled Hosseini So it suited the purpose.
Judith
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Amish Christian

I like this author, but this book was a drag. The characters lacked “life” and the story dragged on and on. How many times does star crossed lovers get a chance? Hope the next one is better.
Dora Wagner
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-2015, series
In the third installment of the Kauffman Amish Bakery series, Amy Clipston gives a great story of forgiveness and love following hurt. Meet two "lovers" that allowed another to separate them and the gift of forgiveness and love that brings them together.
Cathie
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good story by Amy!!!

Amy has a knack for characters that come to life when you read her books. I know that this story is about Miriam, but I would have loved a little more about Lena Joy's trials. I felt that should have occupied more time in the book.
Judy Iliff
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
While I enjoy this series, this particular one got a little long - so I skipped the middle to the last 3 chapters. I'm pretty sure this had more to do with me than the plot. Jumping to conclusions and assuming you know what the other person is thinking gets really old after 50 pages or so.
Karen Carmody
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story. I really wasn't sure what Lindsay was going to decide. Amy Clipston did a great job of keeping the suspense going until the end of the book. I'm glad that Lindsay made the decisions that she did. I can't wait to start the 4th book to find out how this is all going to end up!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Falling to Pieces (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #1)
  • A Perfect Square (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #2)
  • Huckleberry Hill (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #1)
  • Plain Perfect (Daughters of the Promise, #1)
  • The Christmas Singing (Apple Ridge #2)
  • An Amish Christmas Love
  • Material Witness (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #3)
  • The Tattered Quilt  (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, #2)
  • The Tinderbox
  • The Healing Jar
  • Plain Pursuit (Daughters of the Promise, #2)
  • The Brides of the Big Valley: 3 Romances from a Unique Pennsylvania Amish Community
  • The Choice (Lancaster County Secrets #1)
  • The Amish Midwife
  • The Hope of Spring (Discovery, #3)
  • Murder Simply Brewed (Amish Village Mystery #1)
  • Listening to Love (An Amish Journey #2)
  • The Silence of Winter (Discovery, #2)
Hi, I’m Amy Clipston. I am an author of Amish and Christian fiction with HarperCollins Christian Publishing. Most of my books focus on the Amish community, faith, and love. I also write romance novels and young adult inspirational stories.

My books include:

Kauffman Amish Bakery Series
• A Gift of Grace (3/2009)
• A Promise of Hope (3/2010)
• A Place of Peace (2/2011)
• A Life of Joy (1/2012)
• A Season

Kauffman Amish Bakery (5 books)
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)