Start by marking “The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)

The Bungalow Mystery

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #3)

While trying to help a friend out of a difficulty, Nancy has a perilous experience in and around a deserted bungalow, from which only her bravery and quick thinking save her.

Published September 30th 2009 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Bungalow Mystery, please sign up.
Roberta No, you can't read books in Goodreads. …moreNo, you can't read books in Goodreads. (less)
Gracie {_a_court_of_books_} Caroline Keen is a pen name of many authors who wrote the books over the years. Unfortunately the original authors has passed, but the newer authors c…moreCaroline Keen is a pen name of many authors who wrote the books over the years. Unfortunately the original authors has passed, but the newer authors could still be alive. You could find out who they are and research their upcoming events if they have that way. :) (less)

Start your review of The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
Sheri
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book starts off with heart pounding action, as Nancy and her friend Helen are caught out on the lake in a thunderstorm. Will they reach the shore through the blowing winds and treacherous waves? Luckily, a young gal, Laura, hears Nancy's cries for help and rescues the two. After introductions are made, Laura rather cryptically responds that she may need Nancy's help some day soon. What mystery will find Nancy tracking down clues?

Another sound mystery in the series. Love how each chapter end
Madeline
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will probably never get over my girl-crush on Nancy Drew, and this book just confirms that fact. Which is not to say that the series is flawless and beyond criticism - kinda the opposite, really. One thing I've learned from re-reading some of these books as an adult is that whenever you start one, you have basically a fifty-fifty chance of ending up with 190 pages of dated, stupid crap. But this time, I was lucky. This book rocked. That being said, it doesn't escape from the flaws that personi ...more
Jeremy Preacher
This is a comparative review of the 1930s and 1950s editions of this book - if you get a chance to read them side-by-side, I very strongly recommend it.

Of the three books I've read comparatively, this one diverges the furthest. Points of difference include:

- In the 50s edition, the guardian is accompanied by his wife - which makes the whole thing much less sinister. They also don't behave nearly as villainously.

- The 50s version introduces an entire subplot where Nancy is helping with a bank fra
Juli
In this 3rd Nancy Drew Mystery, Nancy and her friend Helen are enjoying a trip out of town, when they have a boating accident during a thunderstorm. They are saved by a girl named Laura. Nancy doesn't realize at the time that meeting Laura will draw her into yet another mystery. This time, Nancy suspects Laura's guardians are stealing the orphan's inheritance. She just has to find proof!

I listened to the audio version of this story. Narrated by Laura Linney, the audio is just over 3 hours long.
Lisa
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who think story + context = synergy
It's so hard to rate these books. It's all about context. But which context? I read them as a young reader, age eight or so, in the early 1980s. They were written in the 1930s, rewritten in the 1960s to contemporize them, and in some cases, rewritten again. Oh, and then there were the ones contemporary to my era in the first place, though I don't remember those well. Carolyn Keene was never a real person...if I researched the context of author, how much more would I understand these books?

Part o
Mark Baker
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
While out of town, Nancy meets Laura, a recent orphan who is about to meet her new guardians. However, when Nancy meets them, she thinks that something is off about these adults. Meanwhile, Mr. Drew asks Nancy to help him figure out how bearer bonds have disappeared from a bank in town. Can Nancy juggle these two cases? Or is there a connection?

I can’t remember if I read this one as a kid or not, but I quickly got caught up in the fun as an adult. There is plenty of action. Some of the twists we
Kirsten
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying my trip down memory lane by revisiting Nancy Drew from the beginning. This is by far the best one. The addition of Laura Linney narrating makes them even better.

Though they are dated, you could imagine Nancy today. She is self-reliant and independent and an excellent role model for young girls. Her dad doesn't even spend the whole time telling her to get a young man and get married. He supports her and admires her "plucky" attitude.

This story involved embezzlement, kidnappi
Ashley
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I used to love Nancy Drew books as a kid, but I think I preferred the "newer" stories. This one wasn't quite as interesting or as exciting I hoped it would be. Still, it was fun to read as an adult to my daughter, who enjoyed the climax of the story. ...more
Olivia
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

While on vacation at Twin Lakes Nancy meets and befriends an orphaned named Laura Pendleton. Laura is there to meet her new guardians, Mr. and Mrs. Aborn. The Aborn's seem nice enough but when they begin doing strange things like demanding Laura hand over her inherited jewelry and lock her in her room, Laura decides to run away to River Heights in the hopes that Nancy can help her. Nancy begins to investigate the Aborn's which leads her to a strange bungalow in the woods and a giant mystery.

- Wh
Kavita
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy makes a new friend, Laura Pendleton, who rescues her from a wrecked boat in a storm. It turns out that Laura might need her services as a detective. The orphaned girl is wary of her new guardians and wants Nancy to check them out. Nancy is puzzled as to why her mother would entrust Laura to people who only seem interested in her jewellery and money?

Of course, at the same time, Carson Drew is bound to have a case that Nancy's helping him on that's bound to connect with Laura's problems. The
Moonkiszt
#3 of the ND challenge. . . .a near drowning, a careening storm-damaged tree that misses ND's car by inches in a storm, almost hauntings, skulking around bungalows (which are NOT houses), and stolen identities!

On the other hand: a bunch of new friends, Mr. Drew's mystery solved, Hannah's ankle healed, a male red-head nearly romanced but dismissed with a gentle laugh that conveys responsibility AND regret (No sign of the dependable and attrative Ned yet), a new and stunning aquamarine ring (give
Suhailah
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the third installment of the Nancy Drew series! This story began with a dangerous storm that instantly caught my attention and swept me away. Though the mystery was pretty simple to unravel, it was nonetheless still very exciting to follow. I have to say the bad guys hit an all-time low in this story, and there were lots of heart pounding moments!

Once again, our intelligent sleuth uses her strong optimism and instincts to save the day. Lots of new characters were also introduced
Elizabeth
Last of my ,loosely, Halloween/fall themed reads. Quick read. Reread endlessly as a child; one that i owned. Cost 75 cents for the hardcover “back then”. Later i remember they got up to $1.50.
Tabi34
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
In my quest to read (re-read) all of the Nancy Drew mysteries this year, I have just completed The Bungalow Mystery. I remember reading this one when I was a kid. Once again, it boggles my mind how dependent I've become on my cell phone. Every time Nancy goes off to investigate or sleuth as she calls it, I keep thinking - use your cell phone. Her car breaks down, today she'd be whipping out the cell phone and calling Triple A or using her GPS. Because Nancy doesn't have these modern day devices, ...more
Whitney
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
I highly recommend the 1930 edition. Nancy and young Laura take turns rescuing each other. And then Nancy rescues herself. And, wow, Mr. Carson Drew shows up to rescue everybody! As a prosecution attorney, or whatever he is, he sure knows his way around a car chase.

He advises Laura: "Get in the roadster with Nancy. If it comes to a battle, you girls can drop back and be out of range of the bullets." Sir, yes, sir!

This version also features a cunning and ruthless criminal named "Stumpy." Strikes
Prabhjot Kaur
Nancy and her best friend, Helen are on a boating trip but the girls can't catch a break as a thunderstorm hits and they are saved by another girl. But soon Nancy realizes that something is amiss and she is determined to find out what it is and right that wrong.

This is yet another fast paced book in the series. I loved the friendship between Nancy and Helen and also the girl power in this book. A must read for all mystery fans.

4 stars
Abigail
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle-Grade Mystery Readers / Those Who Enjoy Vintage Girls' Fare
That inimitable girl sleuth, Nancy Drew, returns in this third mysterious adventure, confronting all kinds of life-threatening situations with aplomb. The story opens as Nancy and her chum, Helen Corning, out for a expedition on Moon Lake, find themselves swimming for their lives when their boat goes down in a storm. Really, it's Nancy doing the swimming, valiantly towing the hapless Helen. When a girl their own age rows out to rescue them, at the risk of her own life, they make a new friend, le ...more
Jamie
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed thoughts on this one. It was more predictable every step of the way, yet also a bit more intense. From the storm and near drowning at the start to the kidnapping, knockouts and other violent acts. Nancy gets in a bit over her head in this mystery! I liked the edgier approach! And the dog walking bit was amusing! I still get confused when the housekeeper goes by first name one moment and last name the next. It had me picturing two different people at times.
Tarissa
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Nancy Drew mystery! I devoured it in one evening. The plot twists had perfect timing. I love that Nancy solves her own mysteries while assisting her father with his predicaments. An enjoyable read!
Elisabeth Ensor
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why have I waited so long to read Nancy Drew? I love mysteries, vintage books and classics! This story was so fun, quick and easy to read but the writer has an interesting way of adding in simple details that I liked. I will continue reading these mysteries!
John Yelverton
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another excellent addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
SheriC (PM)
Overall review for both the 1930 original story and the 1960 revision.

The third book in the series was perhaps the most exciting so far, with Nancy almost continually in peril and getting herself out of one scrape after another. As usual, the mystery depends heavily on coincidence and inconsistencies that don’t stand up to much scrutiny, but it gives Nancy plenty of opportunity to show off (modestly, of course) her smarts, her skills, and her courage.
There is a significant difference in storyt
Hannah
Hot as hell without power after Hurricane Flo, but Nancy keeps calm and carries on.

Read in tandum the original and revised editions:

Original
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3) by Carolyn Keene
Published 1930
25 chapters / 204 pages
Plot synopsis: Nancy sets out to help a young orphan whose legal guardian is not all he appears.

Revised
The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3) by Carolyn Keene
Revised 1960
20 chapters / 180 pages
Plot synopsis: Nancy sets out to help a young orphan whose legal guardians (a married couple) are not all they appear. An intersecting side plot involves a bank securities embez
Martha
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew, own-books
The Bungalow Mystery is number three in the Nancy Drew series. I am rereading each to see what my perspective is now at 64 (vs. 9 yrs. old). As I look back in my mind they were all 5-stars. Gee, maybe I should leave well enough alone and not mar the 5-star memory.

Nah. Rereading Nancy Drew is relaxing and frees my mind of troubles! I am surprised how much information is packed within these stories for kids. In this mystery, banks, securities/bonds are referenced. I surely hope kids are still rea
Missy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paid a visit to Nancy Drew today while going through a bit of a reading slump. As a child Nancy was one of my most reliable friends. Reading her today I still love her. However now I see her through different eyes than I did then. She is perfect. In every way. No one else shines quite as brightly as she does. Would I want her as a role model for my kids? Probably not. We learn from our failures. Character building and all that. And perfection is exhausting. But do I still love paying her a visit ...more
Tammy
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, classics
What a delight! This is the first Nancy Drew book I've read and although some of the language is somewhat outdated and old fashion I couldn't put it down!!! Suspense and action packed from the first page! Why didn't I start reading these earlier? It was grand! ...more
Shannon
Read for March Mystery Madness 2020. I haven't read a Nancy Drew in years, and was actually pretty impressed with her forwardness given the time. I do find the descriptions of meals all the time a bit weird, but maybe that's just a thing from the time as well! ...more
Gary Butler
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
95th book read in 2017.

Number 149 out of 659 on my all time book list.

Best in the series so far. Real villains and extra characters. Nancy can't do it alone!
Logan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good
Jaksen
Nov 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not the best Nancy Drew book ever written.

The writing in this one is sort of stale, and has the feel of having been written over, or revised, or perhaps was written by committee. If that's not the case, it's certainly how it seems.

Nancy sets out to help a girl who's suddenly orphaned, and is preparing to live with two new guardians. How does Nancy meet said girl? With Helen, another friend, Nancy is out on a boat on a lake and they caught in a storm and nearly drown. Of course they do
Around the Year i...: The Bungalow Mystery, by Carolyn Keene 2 19 Nov 03, 2016 01:31PM

• The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The House on the Cliff (The Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The Missing Chums (The Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (The Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #6)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • What Happened at Midnight (The Hardy Boys, #10)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Deception on the Set (Hardy Boys Adventures #8)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • Shadows at Predator Reef (Hardy Boys Adventures #7)
  • Mystery of the Phantom Heist (Hardy Boys Adventures #2)
  • The Secret of the Caves (The Hardy Boys, #7)
  • Into Thin Air (Hardy Boys Adventures #4)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #9)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #11)