Start by marking “The Law of Happiness: How Spiritual Wisdom and Modern Science Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  287 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Drawing from the latest scientific and psychological research on the quest for happiness, The Law of Happiness reveals that the spiritual truths of the Bible hold the secrets to the happiness we desire. As Dr. Cloud unpacks these universal, eternal principles, he reveals that true happiness is not about circumstances, physical health, financial success, or even about the p ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Howard Books (first published December 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Law of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Law of Happiness

Teresa
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a spiritual person, but not a religious one. The subtitle of this book is what caught my eye, along with a recommendation from a friend who is going through some trials and tribulations in their life and who has gotten some help from this book. I do believe there is a gray area in some places that science and religion merge. There is definitely good advice and practices in this book. Mostly I like that we are in charge of our own happiness.
Anastasia
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an amazing and eye-opening book! If you've ever felt that there is something missing in your life, or wondered what the secret to true happiness is, then this is definitely the book for you! Every single person needs to read it, it has so many wonderful truths that will change the way you think forever.
Brandon Lamm
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual

I found the research in the book along with the simple explanations to be very interesting and useful. As a Christian who has struggled with the concept and pursuit of happiness for years. I am very excited about implementing these ideas into my own life.
Clare Cannon
Cloud combines good psychology with genuine spiritual values in this simple but wise book that could be helpful for anyone with goodwill (not only for Christians, though he does mention God). It is like Jacques Philippe's Called to Life for beginners, and deserves wider notice than I've seen it given so far.

He starts with the premise: 'We are wired to experience happiness, but we keep hitting the wrong buttons in our efforts to turn our happiness on.'(2) We look for more money, that special some
Gail Welborn
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
***Cloud reveals the close link between Scripture and science...***

In the “Law of Happiness” Dr. Cloud mixes scientific research with Scripture to define what happiness is and how it can be found. He was surprised to find while reading the new research on “positive psychology,” it felt like he was reading the Bible. It was like someone took the research data “…laid the Bible on top…” and they fit together almost like a hand in a glove.

That “perfect fit” made him feel as if he were on a “spiritu
Clair
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, heaven
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. I absolutely loved this book, as the author said it is basically the law of attraction applied in a christian manner. This book can change your life if you let it. it is a definite read. I also have picked up some other books by Dr. Henry Cloud as a result of this book and I can't wait to read them. Funny thing is, I read the Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews right after this book and it was as if Andy Andrews took this book and turned it into a fictional story for his book. ...more
Shane
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone dealing with depression or bitterness
I enjoyed Dr. Cloud's book "How to Get a Date Worth Keeping." I enjoy his straightforward and simple writing style. "The Law of Happiness" was recommended to me by a psychologist. Dr. Cloud does an excellent job showing how recent research in the positive psychology movement confirms the eternal truths of the Bible's prescriptions for happiness. It's a quick read, but contains profound bits that are helpful to meditate on.
Liz Fischer
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. Actually the first chapter "The Science of Happiness" was the most helpful to me. It revealed the way we often search for happiness that eludes us and why we do it. Then it gets into what makes for sustainable happiness. It's a bit physcological (written by a Christian psychologist), but very Biblically based as well, and very insightful.
Damara
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great wisdom

Another life-changing book for me. The basic spiritual wisdom, simple facts, and very applicable. I have several books from Cloud/Townsend resources....everyone of them have read at a point in my life when I needed wisdom. I apply to my personal and professional life, and share with others through mentoring and coaching. Thanks for great reads!
Adrena D.
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author gave practical biblical principles in our pursuit of happiness. You are brought to the conclusion that happiness is not about your circumstances or what you have, but who you are in God and what you believe about Him.
  • How to Reach Your Full Potential for God: Never Settle for Less Than His Best
  • Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • The Adversity Advantage: Turning Everyday Struggles Into Everyday Greatness
  • Off Balance: Getting Beyond the Work-Life Balance Myth to Personal and Professional Satisfaction
  • Who's Pushing Your Buttons?
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • The Secret to True Happiness: Enjoy Today, Embrace Tomorrow
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Anger: Handling a Powerful Emotion in a Healthy Way
  • The Work: My Search for a Life That Matters
  • Prudent Advice: Lessons for My Baby Daughter (A Life List for Every Woman)
  • Vital Friends: The People You Can't Afford to Live Without
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • The Good Girl Revolution: Young Rebels with Self-Esteem and High Standards
  • How Successful People Lead: Taking Your Influence to the Next Level
  • How We Love: Discover Your Love Style, Enhance Your Marriage
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian Live Seminar: Participant's Guide: Communicating Your Faith in a Style That Fits You
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
More about Henry Cloud...
“Happiness comes as a by-product of the “life well lived.” And” 0 likes
“Here is what the scientific research is finding about happiness: we are wired to experience happiness, but we keep hitting the wrong buttons in our efforts to turn our happiness on.” 0 likes