Start by marking “Better Than My Dreams: Finding What You Long for Where You Might Not Think to Look” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The story of everywoman's emotional and spiritual journey, helping her release stored up false hopes and preconceived notions by replacing them with the wonderful reality God is weaving into her life.

Every morning we face the day with a set of expectations about how things will or should be. Author Paula Rinehart says, "The oddest part about our mental images is that we do
Published October 16th 2007 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Better Than My Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Than My Dreams

Kristin
May 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women
Shelves: christian-living
This book was really good! I checked it out of the Jax library and I would like to buy this book so that I can re-read it and write in it. :) It would also be a good book to read and discuss with other women. There is a reflection and study guide in the back.

Some of the book reminded me of recent things I've heard from Beth Moore on getting out of the pit, on loving well and knowing/embracing God's love for me.

Some favorite quotes:
It takes faith to believe that if God says no to a good dream...i
Kari
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book about how life isn't always as you expect it to be. One quote, "...it's a lifelong challenge to live with a heart that remains open to God and alive to possibility - even in the face of disappointment. Yet a hopeful heart is absolutely vital to experiencing the richness and the wonder of the journey God has for you."
Cindy
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read every one of her books--she talks about how God offers a different sort of wonderful than the one we had in mind. Her books transform me...
Groups
Oct 21, 2010 is currently reading it
Shelves: needs-2nd-review
Per Gina Robertson:

Deals with disappointment & difficulties of life. Finding a closer relationship with Christ through this and learning to trust in God's love for you. Experience great joy when we discover where our deep gladness and the world's deep needs are met.

Can be fairly deep and slight counseling orientation.

10 weeks, 45 minutes per week
book with questions
shelves: intimacy with God
RF
Paula spoke this book at one of our summer women's gatherings - it led to some amazing conversations.

This book is ideal for people who are dealing with disillusionment- aka, life not working out at all as we expect...

Her book "Strong Women, Soft Hearts" made an impact on me in early twenties.
Laura Lou
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Husseyhousehold
Recommended to Laura Lou by: Alleyn (and Howard) Cole
An easy, day-trip kind of book with enough yeses and ah-has in womanly communion to make me want to read her other spiritually-inspiring works. It's not fine literature, but tasty enough for snacking fun.
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Paula Rhinehart's sincerity and wisdom. She clears knows God and has so much to offer to women with her deep insight and wealth of personal and professional experience. Some of the insights in this book were life-changing and powerfully encouraging. Highly recommend.
Ashley
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book that can be read as a devotional. Reading the book I wanted to highlight the whole thing! It was such an encouraging and insightful read about how God offers us a different sort of wonderful than the one we have in mind, and it is good.
Lauren
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this book for the second time. Great perspective on life's disappointments.
Christine
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great book that literally met my heart in a difficult season of life.
Beth
Oct 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful exploration of what's really important in life.
Shannon
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stop focusing on the vague idea of where you think you're going / what you deserve from life. Find where your great joy meets the great need of the world.

Amy
Nov 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
tremendous emphasis on self instead of God - not my favorite Bible study...
Amy
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those "life-changing" books. So many profound thoughts!
Kathy

It is my second time reading this book- this time with a good friend- such beautiful wisdom!
Amanda