Start by marking “The Fall (The Rift #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fall (The Rift #1)

The Fall

(The Rift #1)

The World Will Never Be The Same...

An ancient evil, trapped in the ruins of a lost Mayan temple for centuries, has been unleashed. It takes the form of a deadly virus, one that causes violent insanity in the living and the recently departed to rise and walk. It spreads around the globe, throwing the world into chaos and war.

As it progresses, those in the States who find th
Paperback, 1st Edition, 274 pages
Published April 21st 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall

Darkfallen
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-n-reviewed
Something you should probably know about me before we start this review here...My one true phobia in life is of the creepy crawly variety. Creepy crawly things you can see, microscopic creepers you cant...it doesn't matter. They both scare the bajeezus out of me. Like they scare me WAY more than say flesh eating dead guys?!

So what do you think happened when Mr. Duperre here mixed BOTH creepy crawlies (both microscopic and the crunchy kind) with flesh eating not at all 'Hi I'm a zombie'

But rath
Jaidis Shaw
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Fall: The Rift Book One by Robert J. Duperre is a terrifying and captivating tale of a zombie infested “end of days”. Mr. Duperre is an incredibly gifted writer, bringing his written world to life with vivid descriptions and close-to-home scenarios! The reader will find themselves identifying with at least one, if not all, of the very real characters within this book. The story begins with the discovery of an ancient Mayan temple. A ruin that was hidden away, meant to be forgotten. For Dr. K ...more
your word of the day is gratuitous.

gra·tu·i·tous (gruh-too-i-tuhs): being without apparent reason, cause, or justification.

that's your buzzword for this book, kids. after reading it, i'm not even sure what audience it's aimed at. explanations and writing style lean toward YA, but remember our word?

gratuitous violence? check.

gratuitous sex? check.

gratuitous yet detailed and loving descriptions of decapitations, explosions, zombie slaying, bugs, up close knife work? check.

gratuitious language? ch
Jason
2 Stars

The Fall, The Rift book number one was not for me. I thought that I knew better than to venture further into the post apocalyptic genre. I am done with it, with zombies, and with YA end of the world scenarios. I simply loathe these stories now and I am not an objective reader or reviewer. I am more tired with zombies now than I was ever with the way over done vampire genre.

That being said I did read through most of this book. I enjoyed the writing of Robert Duperre and found the book to
One Pushy Fox
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I was immediately drawn in by how real the characters in this book felt to me, because that's how they're portrayed, warts and all. I love how even the hero, who we learn may have some greater, supernatural significance (stress on the "may" since this is only book one out of four), is filled with doubts about himself and others. There's no, "Oh, I'm the chosen one and I will save the world" moments in this book. Just a bunch of real people stuck in an INSANE world trying to figure out what comes ...more
Bewitched Bookworms
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: show-me-the-free
This is an amazing first book in a series. I was drawn in and I am definitely looking forward to reading the second book (which I purchased for myself about 10% into this book, it's just that good!). My only complaint is that I know I'm going to finish the next book far before the third and forth books come out. *sigh*

Read the full review here.
D.P. Prior
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Fall: An Undead Apocalypse.

Zombie apocalypse is not my usual genre, but I agreed to look at this book and was happy to receive a copy from the author.

I had mixed feelings when I began The Fall. I found the opening chapters difficult to engage with and tried to work out why. There was good writing and heaps of atmosphere, but something wasn’t working for me. After much deliberation, I realized it was the language. Not all the language, just bits here and there where the writing stretched and
Brainycat
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of boring, disjointed zombiepocalypses
Brainycat's 5 "B"s:
blasphemy: 1
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

I only made it through 32% of this book before I gave up on it. The pace of the writing seemed like it plodded along unchanged, no matter if the protagonist was unleashing demons from ancient tombs or eating dinner with his parents. The story is written in multiple third persons, I suppose to try and show the enormity of the unfolding zombiepocalypse, but none of the charac
E.J. Stevens
Move over old-school zombies, there's a new evil in town.

The Fall is the first book in the epic horror series The Rift. Duperre whisks the readers to an archaeological dig in Central America, but this is not your typical Indiana Jones adventure. Things go terribly, irrevocably wrong and an ancient undead evil is unleashed on the world. I should warn you that if you have any insect phobias you will be scratching away before the first chapter is over. That scene *still* gives me nightmares...and
Craig DiLouie
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
In THE FALL by Robert J. Duperre, an ancient evil, trapped in the ruins of a lost Mayan temple, is accidentally unleashed and takes the form of a deadly virus that causes the living to become violently insane, and the dead to rise and seek the flesh of the living. As the plague spreads across the world, Josh and Kyre, two average people trapped by their particular circumstances, are suddenly forced to assume their destinies as leaders. This book, subtitled THE RIFT, is the start of a series of f ...more
Jason
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Fall by Robert J. Duperre is the first book in a series about a mysterious medical condition that sweeps the globe after a researcher stumbles onto some hidden ruins deep in the Yucatan Peninsula. The story has the structure of those hit Hollywood blockbusters like Independence Day or Outbreak. It never takes its foot off the gas pedal, getting in close with no shyness about the grisly, horrific details.

Joshua Benoit and Kyra Holcomb are true products of a gritty, mundane small town, wastin
D.A. Schneider
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A mysterious curse is inadvertently released on the human race. The result is a mutation that spreads quickly over the face of the earth.

This is a great beginning to what looks to be an epic series. The story moved along at a quick pace, yet the author did a good job of creating deep and likable characters. The monsters are more than mere zombies. These things are quick and ruthless, creating carnage and gore in their wake.

This is the first book I've read on my phone using Kindle for Android and
Brooke
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Reminded me of The Stand!
Kolby Kappes
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The idea that a zombie apocalypse is being guided by a sentient, malevolent force is pretty cool. This book was one of the more entertaining zombie fiction novels I've read recently.
Sawyer
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: I really don't know, maybe 6 years old children.
Is this a book? Seriously?

This person, "Robert J. Duperre" is a good example for that anybody can be a famous writer in the US who is able to write 200 pages about something. This guy is totally untalented and a total amateur, beginner. I wouldn't ever call him a writer. How is that possible that people are willing to pay any money for his books? I don't know.

This book was so bad, I seriously suffered and struggled to understand the most basic sentences in it! I'm not talking about the story or
Helle
This book have zombies, horror, mayan mythology and it is about dark forces from the beginning of the time.

Sometimes you do not need to know what happened to a lost civilisation and when the warnings say stop you need to stop. Archaeologists from every World want to find out things, but maybe there is a reason to heed the warnings and stay away, this is the beginning of the horror mankind need to fight, but this also about someone that have the immune to not get changed like everyone else, about
Wanda Hartzenberg
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
An entertaining read with its own unique voice and a world that is all too real and familiar until it is not all of a sudden and even then humans can be as scary alive as dead.
The world building is exceptionally well done in this book. With numerous characters being introduced I was at first scared that the author would confuse me and that in my confusion I would start to miss the plot line. My fears were unfounded.
The author did a brilliant job in setting the stage for the characters, working
Mark
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Awful. maybe I shouldn't have read Tim Curran's The Devil Next Door before this one. I am glad I did tho. Curran's version of the end of the world is gritty, bloody and brutal. The story in The Fall is anemic and tame. It's a Zombie story without zombies, an Apocalypse tale with hope. Maybe it was supposed to be a Young Adult novel (or Young Young Adult), but if it's about a disease, I don't know the symptoms, if it's about some things worse than zombies, I haven't seen them yet, so I don't know ...more
David
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Oh dear. I didn't finish this. I got to the last 50 pages or so and I though "Zombies." "I am a little over the genre" That said I will still watch "The Walking Dead" for season 5 as I like the characters. With this book - they failed to get my interest especially when two of them have sex and are thinking erotic thoughts - I mean come on what is this some hollywood crap where two characters say "Hey let's have sex. I just killed my sister who I loved deeply and saw she ate my parents but hey I ...more
Teresa
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
YOUR TYPICAL APOCALYPTIC TALE: IN THIS CASE THE DEADLY TOXIN THAT SWEEPS THE WORLD IS RELEASED FROM A RECENTLY DISCOVERED MAYAN TEMPLE SOMEWHERE IN SOUTH AMERICA. AS PEOPLE FALL VICTIM THEY EITHER DIE AND BECOME ZOMBIES OR THEY SORT OF HALF-DIE AND TURN INTO ULTRA-VIOLENT, LOGICAL, PLANNING, FLESH-EATERS. LITTLE EMPHASIS ON THE ZOMBIES. AS ONE WOULD EXPECT, THE SURVIVORS ARE PITTED AGAINST THOSE NON-ZOMBIE CREATURES THAT NOW ROAM THE WORLD.

HALFWAY THROUGH THIS BOOK I WAS THINKING ABOUT DELETING
Kay
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book but found myself getting a little bored with parts and switching off slightly, with that said I enjoyed the book, want to find out what happens to the characters and have already purchased part 2! Just hoping I enjoy part 2 more and don't get bored with it! I found some of the characters boring and unlikeable, not unlikeable in the love to hate sense but more in the, useless time waster, just hurry up and die character.
LadyCalico
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
These are not stand alone books. Although they contain some new twists on the usual old fashioned Zombie Apocalypse stories, they dragged on too long for my taste and ended in cliff hangers. I can appreciate the author's talent and efforts, and that there will be many people who love these books. The story was original and the characters realistic and sympathetic, but it dragged on too long with too little closure for someone as impatient as I am.
JenniferJ
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a really tough book for me to get into and I really don't know that I ever did. It did indeed have zombies in it which I love but they were just kinda weird and the insect factor was just ewwww. I just don't think this was my kind of zombie story. Now if it was made into a movie I bet I would LOVE it but just had a hard time reading it.
Jett Cat
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this a while ago, and ran accross it on amazon didn't recognize it dowloaded it and at once remembered that it was a book I wanted to read the rest of the series. It is action packed and smartly written. is that the right way to describe it? hm... the characters are rugged and effective, but also intellectual. I love a thinking persons apocalypse!
Karolina
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I gotta say, this is probably the best zombie book I've read. it was perfect, down to last gruesome detail. seriously, if you've got a weak stomach, don't read this book. this book was definitely gross, and sick, and twisted.... but scary? personally I thought it was a bit lacking. except the beginning, with the bugs and the first victim and creepy ruins.... anyway! great book
Jamie Eastman
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad

Not bad

I got lucky and read this re-edited version, I heard the first was a mess, but I digress, this book was good, I felt involved with the characters, cheering them on, hoping for the best for them, I'm definitely going to be reading the others, I have to know what happens.
Karl
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Another zombie apocalypse, but with some interesting twists.
Decent characters, and I'm willing to care about what happens to them.
Being the first book in a series, the end is more like the end of a chapter, but I'm reasonably interested in reading the next book.
Elizabeth
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not sure on this one. I bought the the series, books 1-4. Not too crazy about the writing style but stayed with book 1 to the end out of stubbornness. I'll go on to another book and then try book 2. I really don't want to give up on this; I like the story too much.
Carol Costley
Jul 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am currently reading this book. I am having issues early on with it because it feels like the level of writing is far below what I had expected. As it sits I give it one star. I will update this when I have actually reached the end of the book.
Kay
Could not read this, maybe 25 years ago but prefer not to read this type of novel. Nothing against this genre, just not for me.....

• Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Sven the Zombie Slayer
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Sunrise (The Daylight Cycle, #2)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • The Z Word (Apocalypse Babes, #1)
  • Onslaught (Last Hope #1)
  • Blood Soaked and Contagious (Blood Soaked #1)
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Tales from Harborsmouth (Ivy Granger, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5, #5.5)
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Sleepers (sleepers, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Life Among the Dead
Born on Cape Cod and raised in northern Connecticut, Robert Duperre is a writer whose main ambition is to create works that defy genre. His first novel, "The Fall: The Rift Book I" is now available in paperback and for the Amazon Kindle.

Robert lives with his wife, the artist Jessica Torrant, his three wonderful children, and Leonardo, the super one-eyed Labrador.

The Rift (4 books)
  • Dead of Winter (The Rift #2)
  • Death Springs Eternal (The Rift #3)
  • The Summer Son (The Rift #4)