Start by marking “The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  125,561 Ratings  ·  8,583 Reviews
A brave mouse, a covetous rat, a wishful serving girl, and a princess named Pea come together in Kate DiCamillo's Newbery Medal–winning tale.

Welcome to the story of Despereaux Tilling, a mouse who is in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of a rat called Roscuro, who lives in the darkness and covets a world filled with light. And it is
Audio CD, 3 pages
Published April 12th 2005 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Despereaux, please sign up.

Leea Johnson We listened to the book on tape every night before we went to bed when I was a kid. :)
Amariah Dixon You may have already read it, but, yeah. It has a sweet ending.

Claire Greene
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
I picked this book up on a whim in the Barnes & Noble because I liked the look of the cover and the jagged edges of the paper that gave it a "classic" feel. I was looking for a new bedtime book to read to my children - 2 and 6 at the time. We like to read a bigger book, one chapter each night - for bedtime stories. I read the description and thought it sounded like a good idea so I went ahead and bought it (which is REALLY unusual for me - I can be a cheapskate!) It is by far some of the bes ...more
Camille
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK, so now that I've thought about what I really think about this book, I'm changing my rating from 3 stars to 2 stars. There was more that I didn't like than I liked. After hearing a lot good reports about this book, I think I was expecting something different. I liked the idea of the light versus dark. I liked the unlikely friendship between the mouse and the princess. I liked the forgiveness. And I liked that it ended up "happily ever after", for the most part.

I started out reading this book
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo
The adventures of a mouse named Despereaux Tilling, as he sets out on his quest to rescue a beautiful human princess from the rats. The novel is divided into four "books" and ends with a coda. Each "book" tells the story from a different character's or group of characters' perspective: Despereaux, Roscuro, Miggery Sow, and finally all of them combined.
عنوانها: موش کوچولو؛ ماجرای دسپرو؛ قصه ی دسپروکس؛ دسپروکس؛ نویسنده: کیت دی کامیلو؛
عنوان: موش کوچولو؛ نویسند
Jason Koivu
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I remember reading books like this or having them read to me as a kid. It was always a frustrating experience, because I never liked when the author would stop the story in order to go back over something. "Yeah, I got it the first time," I would think to myself. Learning, teaching and making sure the kids get it is important, but so is keeping them engaged.

The story itself is only okay. It's nothing terribly exciting and honestly not a lot happens. There's an unusual mouse and he wishes to sav
Kelly
Absolutely enchanting. Full of compassion, sweetness and dreamers, with exquisite word choice and delicate rhythms. The narrator's voice is like a comforting but sharply intelligent grandmother, pushing you to both see and feel with the best of yourself. I started to read this this this morning for work purposes, I finished it because I couldn't put it down.
Apokripos
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids at heart!
Recommended to Apokripos by: the "Voice"
Seeing the Light
(A Book Review of Kate DiCamillo’s The Tale of Desperaux)

Despereaux Tilling is the most unusual mouse you’lll likely meet. Conspicously small with considerable large ears, he has always been seen as different, an outsider among his own — a mouse drawn to music, fascinated with stories, and breaks the strict rule of their kind by falling in love with a human, the Princess Pea.

Roscuro leads a normal, rotten rat life in the dungeon, his is a world of utter darkness. Until one day, w
✿KathEryn✿
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
3 stars

I remember reading this as a child and enjoying it, though I'm sure it wouldn't be as good as when I'd read it at eleven. Therefore, 3 stars seems good enough.
Debbie Zapata
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturday
I never knew this was a book. I saw the movie of it on one of my bus trips north. Or maybe it was on the return trip south. Or even both, because I know I saw it twice. I thought the movie was wonderful, but as I say, I never knew it had been a book first. I just stumbled across the title while browsing at my favorite online used book seller one day and thought 'Oh, I have to get this!'

And the book was every bit as wonderful as the movie. Actually better, because I loved the way DiCamillo would
Gloria
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older children, younger teens
Recommended to Gloria by: Teacher
Shelves: young-adult
This book left me with the feeling that this story may not appeal to all readers. There were several important themes addressed in the story, yet little emotional attachment to the characters. The only character that many might relate to is Despereaux himself. He is ‘different’ both physically and emotionally from his peers which at first mostly works against him, though ultimately these unique qualities eventually save the day.

I did really appreciate the way this author drew in the reader in a
Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Um, I really disliked this book. I read it aloud with my #3 and feel like a bad parent for doing so. Poor Miggery Sow- named after a pig, motherless, traded for next to nothing, abused, and then later described as lazy and fat. Crikey. And then there was the author's penchant for describing things to the "Reader" as an aside. Despereaux actually has a small part considering the continuous horrors of the story: evil rats, fair-weathered parents/siblings, the Queen's death, and the no soup decree. ...more
Helvry Sinaga
Buku ini saya beli karena covernya mencuri perhatian saya di toko buku. Lama sudah nongkrong di rak buku, akhirnya saya baca karena pingin bacaan yang lebih ringan dan bisa lekas diselesaikan.

Apa yang dikatakan oleh Anthony de Mello, SJ bahwa orang dapat menolak nasihat, tetapi tidak bisa menolak cerita, itu terbukti. Cerita tentang kastil dan kehidupannya. Tentang tikus kastil, keluarga dan komunitas tikus kastil, Raja Philip dan keluarganya, komunitas tikus got, serta sipir dan tahanan bawah t
Monique

Two words to describe The Tale of Despereaux : sweet and heartwarming. In fact, if I were to give it another title, I'd call it A Little Mouse in Shining Armor. ;)

The Tale of Despereaux is the combined stories of three unique characters. Despereaux Tilling is born small, but with huge ears. He is, however, no ordinary mouse, for he can read, he loves stories and music, and he eventually falls in love with pretty Princess Pea. Chiaroscuro, or Roscuro, is a rat who lives in the dungeon, but
Jon
May 19, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who appreciate overwrought children's books.
Some children's books are wonderfully odd. Others are just odd.

The story of Desperaux (a mouse who doesn't just want to be a mouse) is told through the eyes of several different characters. As the stories weave in an out of each other, they draw closer together until the predictably improbably ending.

Unfortunately, the characters in the world of Desperaux are all two dimensional; we are repeatedly told how bad the bad guys/rats are, and how good the good guys/mice are, and how clumsy a clumsy
Qt
I listened to the story on tape--the reading undoubtedly added to my enjoyment and appreciation of it.
Holly
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2017
Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform.

This is a cute and entertaining story about an undersized mouse with oversized ears who falls in love with a princess. Although this book is geared toward children, the plot and the writing are sophisticated enough that people of all ages should be able to enjoy it. I thought it was funny and heartwarming, and I loved the message behind it. My only c
nicole
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect combination of sweet and dark. Or light and dark, would be a more fitting description, I suppose. And by that I don't just mean that there were good deeds and bad deeds, right and wrong and everyone learned a lesson. Everyone didn't learn a lesson and some people/rats/mice were bad, cowardly, or just plain stupid. This is nothing like Roald Dahl, but they share a quality that I very much appreciate, particularly in children's lit: they let you dislike the unlikeable. Everyone is not ni ...more
Truman32
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for Kate DiCamillo’s The Tale of Despereaux. What could I not like? It was about a tiny mouse with big ears, ostracized from the other mice, who fell in love with the human Princess Pea. Armed with only a sewing needle, Despereaux bravely goes to battle with the devious rats in the palace dungeon who have stolen her.

I mean, it’s got to be great, right?!!! So I took it on vacation with my six-year-old son to read to him at bedtimes.

Sadly, the story is slow paced and doesn’t cont
Malbadeen
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Malbadeen by: Sarah
I love this book! I love, love, love this book! Which is something, because I don't typically love, love, love books and most certainly not books about mice. And I'm not a big reader of fantasy/fairy tales But this book: this book I LOVE!
I read the first few chapters of this book several times before actually reading it. I'd see it in the library (where I work) or at home (waiting to be read) or in a teachers classroom and I always felt compelled to re-read the beginning purely for the enjoyment
Suzanne
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roald Dahl fans
Recommended to Suzanne by: Laura Forde
I saw the upcoming movie previews and thought I should read the book. This edition is a slim volume with ragged edged paper and lovely charcoal illlustrations.
It certainly is an original work. Young Despereaux is the youngest mouse, born of a french mouse mother and father. He is the runt, small and undersized with big ears. He was born with his "eyes wide open". These ears allow him to hear things other mice don't hear and his eyes observes things other mice don't see. Thus the adventure beg
Dimitris Hall
Aug 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, anti-shelf

I was thinking the other day: what would you do if you had a negative (and I mean really negative) opinion on a book but by chance happened to come across its author? What would you tell them if they asked you what you thought about their book?

Without the luxury of the internet or reviews or all the other ways we have of expressing a negative opinion on things without having to come into direct contact with their creator, we tend to be more insensitive with our criticism. The medium is the mess
Rina
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A talking mouse falls in love with a beautiful princess, and, armed with only a needle, vows to rescue her from the clutches of an evil rat and a dull servant-girl. Admittedly, it sounds a bit (okay, very) trite. That was my mindset too, even after the librarian had gushed on and on about what a wonderful book it was (did she think I was going to read some LITTLE KIDS' fairytale?).

But two years ago, I was waiting backstage during a piano concert, bored out of my mind, when I found The Tale of De
Nessa
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A award winning book about a mouse, a love, a rat, and some soup.
C.B. Cook
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not many books make me tear up, but when I got to the end of this one... yeah, I did. Mostly because it's a gorgeous ending, and the author note? Priceless. <3 Always one of my childhood favorites!
Nafiza
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If somebody had tried to tell me a month ago that one of my favourite books read in 2012 would have a little mouse as its protagonist, I would have laughed. I am not big on anthropomorphic characters. I mean, except cats that appear as characters. Those I love but mice and other talking things? Yeah, no, not my thing at all. However, Despereaux calls to mind something warm, something soft, defenseless. Like one of those pictures of kittens that are so plentiful on tumblr. How do you resist?

Anywa
Meagan
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started this two hours ago for the Bibliothon & finished it in one sitting. It's such a cute and entertaining read. I love it just as much this second time than when my mom read it to me years ago.
It is the story of a little brave mouse, a lost rat, a wishful slave girl, and a sweet princess. Their lives all become intertwined. I really liked how the author addressed the reader and told some good ethics to the readers. So when a young reader reads this they are getting a good message t
Beth
Lovely, excellent audio. Beautiful, convincing narration. The ending of the story itself seemed a bit abrupt, but I know I would have loved this as a child.
Faith/Florid Sword
Way too dark and depressing for a kids' book, and scared me out of my mind when I was younger.
Mathew
The first thing that I enjoyed about this lovely little story was a) the whole world revolved around the importance of a good soup and b) DiCamillo's use of authorial intrusion. A story of a literal battle between those in the darkness and those in the light, Despereaux is full of the author's wit and humour with the narrator herself perhaps being one of the funniest. I particularly liked the rich language she uses throughout - no dumbing down her for her readers. I imagine this being a lovely s ...more
Liza Fireman
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a charming book. I read it alongside with my daughter, and found it inspiring for it contains many different topics to further discussion. It does have a bit of too much light/dark and good/bad, but in the end DiCamillo does a great job to show that it is not always black and white (or dark and light). I would not try it with kids that are too young since it does have scary parts and meanness (so probably about 8 and up, unless your kids are brave).

A mouse (and a rat) that do not belong wit
Beth
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery
Confession: I finished this book in one day. Why could I read so quickly? Definitely not because of my speed-reading capabilities! It’s because, despite being nearly 300 pages, it is short. :-)

I wouldn’t say it’s a truly compelling read (though it did win the Newbery Award), but it held my attention even if it truly was a book written for children. I read a lot of children’s and young adult books, but plenty of them are meaty enough that I don’t feel sheepish saying I've read them. This one … we
Future Teachers, ...: Jennifer Gallagher- Review #1 1 5 Nov 16, 2016 05:41PM
Future Teachers, ...: Review 5 1 1 Nov 04, 2016 10:26PM
  • Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!: Voices from a Medieval Village
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • Toys Go Out
  • The Higher Power of Lucky (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #1)
  • A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2)
  • The Underneath
  • A Single Shard
  • Thimble Summer
  • Roller Skates
  • Gay-Neck: The Story of a Pigeon
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • Hitty, Her First Hundred Years
  • Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
More about Kate DiCamillo...
“There is nothing sweeter in this sad world than the sound of someone you love calling your name.” 922 likes
“Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark. Begin at the beginning. Tell Gregory a story. Make some light.” 422 likes