Start by marking “Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)

Silverwing

(Silverwing #1)

Shade is a young Silverwing bat, the runt of his colony. But he's determined to prove himself on the long, dangerous winter migration to Hibernaculum, millions of wingbeats to the south. During a fierce storm, he loses the others and soon faces the most incredible journey of his young life. Desperately searching for a way to rejoin his flock, Shade meets a remarkable cast ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Harper Collins Mass Market Paperback Edition, 272 pages
Published 1998 by Harper Collins (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Silverwing, please sign up.
Peter Yes. (Goodreads says "Sorry, your answer is too short. To post your answer, please add more detail.")

Start your review of Silverwing (Silverwing, #1)
Renee Godding
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not going to lie: I read these books as a kid at the library and absolutely adored them. In fact: I’ve remembered the story fondly for years but completely forgot the title and author, so I was never able to retrace this book. Until I randomly stumbled upon it at the second hand bookstore. And all the memories came flooding back in...

Reread planned soon
Denise
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I began reading this novel because my grandson in the fourth grade was reading it. He was enthusiastic about this book and I wanted to show interest in his school work. The areas of study are endless! (character studies, friendship, compare the various bat characters with people you might know...leads conversation into bullying, deceitful people, friends vs enemies, creative writing and nature studies etc.) This is a beautifully written novel which gives descriptions and facts in an interesting
Crystal
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who writes a book about bats? Kenneth Oppel does! And he does it extremely well. The characters are all very realistic and I felt like I was watching real bats with the descriptions and actions. One of my favorite things that still blows my mind about this book is that the author admits to using only 'black', 'white', and 'silver' as colors in the book. I didn't even notice, but now that I know it's very amazing to me. Kudos to Kenneth Oppel and his great writing.
Silverwing is just amazing! I read it in just a day, and that's no small feat for me! It was just so capturing! It was quite fast-paced I found, but I liked that for a change!

It was just un-put-down-able!

The story-line is very original, which I loved, and is about bats! This is my very first bat fiction story that I've read, and it had made me have a taste for bat stories!

This is a flawless and exciting story {{I found myself cheering and wishing Goth and Throbb would just hurry up and die!}}
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.75

I saw this book recommended in a group recently, and it sounded like it could be fun. The fact that it fits an October month challenge, along with the fact that my local library actually had it in the shelves, pushed it up the line a bit.

It was a cute adventure story about a runt silverwing bat who is smart and curious and questions things, when most of his colony goes along with the status quo out of (justified) fear. His biggest adventure happens when, during a storm, he gets separated
Nina
A message from my 10 year old self: This is an excellant book! It is all about the journey of a young bat, and what he encounters. I learned quite alot, not like it's true or anything (but it might!) and I didn't get bored. I read it in approximately a day. Bullies, friends, myths and lots more fun stuff is jammed into this great novel! Congrats Oppel!
Qt
Feb 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
Being a fan of bats, I was very pleased to find this new trilogy, with bats as the main characters! The hero's quest to find his colony, as well as unraveling layers of legend and mystery surrounding an ancient prophecy, was fun. I especially liked the aerial action scenes and the description of echolocation.
Stanley X_C2
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this book because it's full of adventures. I was really impressed by the author, as that he basically wrote a nonfiction book about bats into a fictional story. Besides from that, he descriptions are very specific. If you have read the book, you'll notice that he didn't use any colors to describe except for black and white. I recommend this book to people who enjoy adventure stories.
Kaitlyn Mae
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book EVER. Kenneth Oppel is an amazing author, and this fantasy is nothing short of AMAZING. Although, the characters and emotions are so realistic, I can hardly believe it is a fantasy. Bats are my favorite animals, so you could see why I loved the characters. But the characters' personalities and emotions will catch anyone's interest, even a person who doesn't like bats. A mixture of adventure, friendship, and thrill, this novel left me hungry for more, so I went on to read ...more
Andrew
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-books, a
I read this book a long time ago and a few of the concepts in it stuck with me... I liked the idea of the echo-chamber that houses all the knowledge of the bats, just like we have books (or now the internet).

It's a one-star because the characters are bland, the theme is boring, and the 'message' is too weak even for a children's book.
Julia
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
for some reason i remember this being one of the first novels i read in grade 2-3? wow, memories. i also read it out of order. the more you know. firewing, silverwing, sunwing. yay.
Anna Sobczak
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it, it was a inspiring story of a small bat who's bravery is anything but small and determination of a fierce character. The story is wonderfully written and beautiful.
Deborah Pickstone
Charming animal fantasy for children, readable for adults.
Rick Dobrowolski
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was excellent! Animal fantasy using bats as the main characters - you have to be creative to pull something like that off. I forget where I saw a recommendation for this series, but, initially, I thought, no way. Then I saw it at a used bookstore for cheap and bought the first two books. Partway into the first, I realized that this series is special. There's some odd relationships going on in the book, but I'm assuming that Oppel is laying out the immaturity of the main ...more
Jack Michael
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Abigail G
Jan 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy the book even though it was a nice storyline as it had way too many weird religious ideas imprinted into the characters, especially for a children's book.
Erik
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book
Isaac Stechmann
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel is a really good book in my opinion. It is the first in a four book series. Shade is a newborn, he his smaller then the rest. Him and another named Bathsheba gets separated from their pack on there way to Hibernaculum, but goth, a vampire bat,is trying to hunt him down.

I think that anyone could get into this book because of his daring and exciting adventures. There are moments where they are in trouble. It is a good book that i recommend.
Kait
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Becky B
I'm wavering between 2 stars and 3 stars for this book. I think if I had read this as a child, I would have rated it higher.

A perpetually-curious outcast who has to overcome the odds, try to figure out some mysteries, avoid bad guys, make new friends, and manage to make his first winter migration without the rest of his colony. Oppel creates a unique world with the bats' perspective and varying mythologies/beliefs about how to solve the problems of their world. My one problem with the book was
Oscar Hardwick
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well this book was a pleasant surprise. Many years ago I read the prequel to this series by Kenneth Oppel and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said it was many years ago and this book was certainly intended for a younger audience and it showed in the brevity of the book itself and in the simplicity of the storyline. Aside from that I don't have any real complaints about this book.

The story whilst simple is well constructed and is always moving and keeping you interested as a reader young or old. It
Kathryn
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was initially hard for me warm to the idea of a book with bat protagonists (not that I don't like bats--I'm just not a big "novels about animals" girl) but I loved Oppel's "Airborn" series and was eager for more of his work. I'm very glad I gave "Silverwing" a try. It is an exciting and thoughtful adventure with a courageous and sensitive hero I ended up being very fond of--bat wings and all! While I don't think the overall story is quite as enjoyable nor the secondary characters as ...more
An Odd1
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"Silverwing" is a colony of small dark bats, migrating south, ahead of runt Shade. Swept out to sea by a storm, he meets older Marina, banished by Brightwings who thought her band was a poison curse. She asks to join Shade's colony, led by a banded elder. They believe bands are a sign of divine promise that bats will regain the day, against present owl law. Every stranger has beliefs that challenge and rock Shade's, reminding us to question everyone.

I don't like children who misbehave and
Lee Födi
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book will teach you a lot of things about bats, not the least of which is the distinction between the taste of mosquitoes and moths. Who knew? But that's what makes this book so delightful. Author Kenneth Oppel creates such a richly detailed animal kingdom, that before you know it, you are caught up on the updraft of adventure, following young Shade through the intricate worlds of bats, owls, pigeons, and all the rest. My favorite part is the echo chamber, where all the stories of the bats ...more
Steen
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't sure if I was actually going to be into reading a book about bats but honestly it surprised me. I've wanted to read this series for awhile but only finally picked it up. Quite a bit darker then I thought it would be but still pretty good.

Goth and his companion are actually pretty scary. I love that they have their own gods, their own superstitions and their own history of wars with other creatures.

I can't find the right words to express how impressed I am that you never forget
Yvensong
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvensong by: Neil
At first, it seemed to be a little slow, but once the story takes off, it becomes a real page turner. I liked how the author describes the world without using color. It's done so well, that I didn't miss color in the descriptions of what Shade, the protagonist bat, sees. Also, the author kept me engaged with the characters by describing the sights and sounds through the characters sense of sight, smell, hearing and more importantly, through echolocation.

Fun read and will probably read the next
Emily
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
Not what I expected. I chose this book to read aloud to my son because it topped a "best books to read aloud to your child" list, and it is about bats. Even the back of the book contained a review that said it was an otherworld as exciting as Narnia and Middle Earth. But no. Definitely not. The story was overall lame & weird, but the biggest disappointment was that I thought this was a kid's book. However, ruthlessly violent, cannibalistic bats offering bloody sacrifices to fake bat-gods is ...more
Charles
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A really fine and fun book. I'm an adult but when I saw this at a bookstore and that it was about bats I just had to pick it up. I loved it so much I immediately went out and got the sequel, which is also very good. I know there is another sequel to, which I've got on my list to buy.

As a kid I always loved stories that gave life and character to animals, and this is a fitting successor to the great works of Jim Kjelgaard and other such writers who did it for me.
J.T.
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Kenneth Oppel is the only author I know who has used bats as protaganists, and the reward to the reader is a unique glimpse into a bat's black and white world. (No colors are used in descriptions in the book.) The main character Shade's longings and affections are remarkably human and the bat rituals and culture are believable. Complex allusions to human behavior, religion and culture make this a story with legs and one I would happily read again.
Lindsay Wilson
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
2019 re-read: not as wonderful as I found it when I was like 10, but still a good kids' read. Shade came off as way more of an entitled little weanie this time, but that's probably pretty reasonable given that he's like an infant. I'd been wanting to revisit this one for a while, and I'm glad I finally got around to it.

• Fire Bringer
  • The Sight (The Sight, #1)
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1)
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • Fell (The Sight, #2)
  • The Secret World of Og
  • Into the Wild (Warriors, #1)
  • The Root Cellar
  • Lost Tales Of Ga'Hoole (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • Raven Quest
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)
  • The Taken (Foxcraft, #1)
  • Guide Book To The Great Tree (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Taggerung (Redwall, #14)
I was born in 1967 in Port Alberni, a mill town on Vancouver Island, British Columbia but spent the bulk of my childhood in Victoria, B.C. and on the opposite coast, in Halifax, Nova Scotia...At around twelve I decided I wanted to be a writer (this came after deciding I wanted to be a scientist, and then an architect). I started out writing sci-fi epics (my Star Wars phase) then went on to swords ...more

Silverwing (4 books)
  • Darkwing (Silverwing, #0.5)
  • Sunwing (Silverwing, #2)
  • Firewing (Silverwing, #3)