Start by marking “Vegan Soul Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Vegan Soul Kitchen

Bryant Terry

Vegan Soul Kitchen

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  2,775 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Published August 28th 2010 by DIANE Publishing Company (first published March 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Soul Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Soul Kitchen

A. Breeze Harper
VSK isn't just a 'cookbook'. In his preface, Terry lets the reader know that it's about reclaiming the healthy roots of African American soul food. It's reminding brown and black folk, kind of what we already know in terms of 'eating better' and 'eating from the land'; reminding us that this philosophy of healthy good eating isn't "new"; that it existed before the big shift in the USA to highly processed foods that have infiltrated and become an 'every day' staple in many communities of color/lo ...more
Lisa Vegan
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Rachel
This is a wonderfully done vegan cookbook, and I love that it’s for vegan soul food. I’ve eaten very little soul food because most of it is very heavily animal meat based, and even when I was an omnivore I usually wasn’t a heavy meat eater. (There is a local vegan soul food restaurant but I haven’t gotten to it yet; it’s across the bay and I don’t get to that area often.)

This book is so creative, and very enjoyable to read. The book starts with a “thankful” blessing song, music included! Each r
Ethical Cannibal
Mar 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks
Recommended to Ethical by: library list
I was really excited to get this book from the library. Vegan food is a definite interest of mine, and seeing what someone else worked out to 'veganize' soul food sounded tasty.

The book does have recipes, some of which are good, but it was overshadowed by the story. Every recipe has a recommended song and movie. The author was striving so hard for a level of cool that I just don't have. I'm interested in food. Nothing else, but good food. All the rest of the stories, recommended music, movies,
Jessica
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, nonfiction
Because I am an omnivore and I have a soybean allergy, this cookbook was challenging for me. Because I cook for a very committed omnivore family with a strong dislike of coconut, it was especially challenging for me.

I made the Lavender Lemonade, the Banana Maple Pecan Cornbread Muffins and the Chocolate Pecan Pie.

The lemonade is definitely a keeper recipe...the kitchen smelled divine! The muffins were nothing special, and the pie was meh. I tried the coconut oil pie crust (since I was making it
Krysta
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't be turned off by vegan cookbooks just because you don't follow a strict vegan diet! If you enjoy cooking with and eating fresh, simple, healthy things, check this book out. I particularly like this one because it emphasizes ingredients that are naturally vegan rather than cram the thing full of pseudo-meats.

I realize not everyone reads cookbooks for fun (as I do), but this one actually has enough supplemental content in it to keep you entertained while you read the actual recipes. In fact
Mary
Ok, let me just say I am SUPER picky when it comes to cookbooks. This book is so refreshing in so many ways! Love how he has a song for each recipe! I also like little stories and history along the way. I am not a vegan nor do I have any desire to be one but I do eat healthy, tasty food. THis man is doing great things, coming up with good recipes and then educating and creating access to good food for everyone. What's not to like about all that?!
Maze Branch Oak Park Public Library
Our What's Cooking group was small this month (a snowstorm and Valentine's Day were intense competition!), so we weren't able to sample as many recipes from this book.

We had a mix of reviews...1/3 of us thought it was only worth 2 stars, 1/3 thought 3 stars and 1/3 thought 4 stars.

We thought the layout of the recipes was good (no page turning!), and we liked the suggested soundtrack to accompany the recipes. We would have liked more photographs (and closer to their corresponding recipes), and we
Jensownzoo
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, 2009-reads
This is one of those cookbooks where every single recipe makes you drool. The author focuses on using the freshest, in-season ingredients and less on calorie counts and fat content, but being vegan soul food, in general the recipes are super-healthy. Also, as an interesting twist in a cookbook, the author provides you with a song playlist and movie suggestion with almost every recipe to extend your experience of "soul" beyond just the palate.

A selection of recipes:

Citrus Collards with Raisins R
Jayme
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventurous cooks looking for something new
I can't say I really ate much soul food previous to this book so I can't compare these recipes to their more traditional ones, but I have enjoyed them so far.

Bryant's book covers everything starting with drinks all the way through the meal to desserts. I love that the first section is actually his own six personal favourite recipes. I plan on trying all of them! Some of the recipes I can't wait to try are 'Citrus Collards with Raisins Redux', 'Lavender Lemonade', and 'Fried Green Tomatoes' (cau
Shawna
May 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, nonfiction
I guess I'm just not into soul food. None of the recipes in this book sounded interesting so I didn't make any and took the book back to the library.

Nothing about the book made me feel passionate about anything in it. Knowing Terry used to be vegan and has since changed his eating habits bothered me, but it's his life and I wish him luck, but that information tainted everything for me, but it's nice that he was honest about the change in his lifestyle instead of trying to come off as something
Shanae
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine is the second cookbook I read cover to cover (both by Bryant Terry). Completely intriguing, Terry's recipes are new and exciting...he mixes combinations I never would have dreamed of and I really really like it. The recipes are very refreshing, just perfect for these upcoming summer days and nights. I'm excited to get start experimenting with the recipes.
Deirdre
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best cookbook for vegan food. Absolutely the best tasting food you wouldn't even know it's vegan. Just tastes fantastic!
Sieara Delone
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
beautiful book
Meena Menon
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one isn't as interesting as his Afro-Vegan cookbook but it's good.
Jenn
Dec 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new vegans, inexperienced home cooks
In a culture where the number who people cook or eat meals at home is on the decline - and awareness of the impact of what we eat on the environment is on the rise - there are a LOT of vegan cookbooks out there. A lot of them are very "entry level" -- many new vegans are also new cooks, having previously depended on prepared foods and eating out for their nutrition.

Bryant Terry's book helps those new vegans who crave a certain kind of delicious food that is reminiscent of what they ate as childr
Melissa
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost wanted to weep after stumbling across this book.

I am an African American vegan, I was born and raised on soul food- sweet potatoes, collard greens with bacon fat, macaroni and cheese, pork chops smothered in savory gravy. Although we only indulged in these rich staples several times a year such as at Christmas and Thanksgiving, they were very much a part of my childhood and my ethnic identity.

After going vegan, I often felt left out. While my parents chowed down on pan fried pork-chops
Angie-Leonie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Great book in the kitchen section, which will ACTUALLY get some use for once.
Hafidha
Mar 31, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegans, experienced cooks, fancy black folk
Interesting cookbook. Many recipes call for some hard-to-find ingredients, and the more filling fare requires a lot of work. These are not 'throw something quick together' dishes for the family, but are probably intended for people who love to entertain and are experienced cooks. I want to try some of the beverages, and then I'll come back and rate those. Felt like too many drink recipes to me, but again I'm thinking this was for people who throw a lot of parties.

Quote: From page xx: While I tr
TBML
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great addition to your vegan cookbook shelf! Bryant Terry has created mouthwatering recipes that are almost entirely created from whole food ingredients readily available in most grocery stores/farmers markets. I would deduct a star because a portion of the recipes are rather involved both time-wise and pots-and-pans-wise (although the pay-off seems delicious). The sections on beverages and condiments offer a wealth of new recipes that are just right for the blistering summertime heat.
The boo
Deb
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just pulled this book out again and realized how much I like it. A great resource for vegan cooking and especially healthier soul cooking where every recipe sounds delicious. I have made a couple of drinks from the book in the past--like his Sin-Ger Thirst Quencher (a gingery hibiscus drink. This time I made the Crispy Okra Strips with Lime-Thyme Vinaigrette and served it with the Creamy Celeriac Sauce. Although I will never love okra, the flavors were all delicious.

Here's a link to the Okra
Andrea Paterson
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
This is a cookbook written by someone who clearly cares about food as a ritual. Recipes are accompanied by suggested music, art, and films. All the food is made from fresh, unprocessed ingredients. You won't find much soy, gluten, sugar, or processed oils in this book so it's suitable for most diets. There are a ton of recipes here and all of them look fairly simple to prepare and sound absolutely delicious. As someone starting out on a more plant based diet this is a cookbook I'll be going back ...more
Starlight
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this cookbook. Recipes that include sound tracks, movie clips, delicious ingredients and delightful presentation. A great approach to soul food and vegan recipes - I full on loved this cookbook and its semi autobiographical manner of writing.

After making a few of the recipes, I have realized that I prefer to take a heavy hand with modifications to some of these recipes. For example, the Spicy Mafe Tempeh needed quite a bit of additional fixing up to get it to the authentic Senegalese flavor
Cindy
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I was turned on to this book by an online recipe for buffalo tofu strips. It refers to this cookbook as the best way to prepare tofu. Bryant Terry suggests freezing the tofu (in the package) for 24 hours then thawing it for 8-10 hours. This did give the tofu a chewy texture that I really enjoyed. The recipes in the book are all straight-forward and use ingredients that are natural and found in most stores. Each recipe includes servings, ingredients, directions, a soundtrack to play while cooking ...more
Jodie Kraatz
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good recipes I just need more practice...I don't judge the recipes as everyone has own taste. To says a cook book is not good is not fair just because you don't care for the food that is in it. I do not care for all of the kinds of food in this book but that doesn't mean they are not good. To each his own. Having said that...... The book is very well excuted.
Chavonne
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Healthy Soul Food Cooks
Shelves: food
What an interesting concept--one can enjoy soul food without meat! There are such things as greens without ham hocks or turkey legs! My mind is still spinning with the interesting recipes in this book. This book is a collection of vegan recipes of the 'Afro-Diaspora'. I can't wait to try some of these out (I have a vegan soul food dinner in mind already!). I'm not a huge fan of the amount of sugar or white flour that's in his recipes (or liquor, since we're not drinkers), but I can't wait to try ...more
Laurie
May 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: delectable
A super-creative, fun and funky cookbook. So many of these recipes sound delicious, but they are composed of one or sometimes two other recipes. A lot of things look more time-consuming than I like for a quick weeknight dinner. I really liked everything I did make, but I am reserving extra stars for when I make more recipes.

So far I've tried:

~Garlicky Creamy Vinaigrette 4*s
~Mixed-Herb-Marinated Grilled Summer Squash and Bell Peppers 5*s
~Red Beans and Brown Rice with Red Wine-Simmered Seitan 4*s
~
Peacegal
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-gifts
I first learned about this book when an African-American member of my vegetarian group brought the Citrus Collards with Raisins dish to one of our potlucks. I was blown away by the wonderful flavor and had to know the recipe. She directed me to Vegan Soul Kitchen.

Not very many cookbooks are fun to read, but this one is. It's filled with personal stories, informational asides, and even music! It is my hope that, once this book is on the shelves of our library, it will continue to inspire more peo
Sps
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Chipotle black-eyed peas were marvelous, collards remix was delicious and so far I've made it twice (though with broccoli raab because I can't find collards at the market) and the Jamaican patties were worth the time and effort. Next time I'd make a double or 1.5 batch and freeze some. And maybe add beans or crumbled tempeh to up the protein.

The book is also just fun to read and sort of makes me want to track Mr. Terry down and be like "what is UP, neighbor, let's get some Souley Vegan and talk
barbecube
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
He tried. This is a well-intentioned book with good ideas.

However, it's poorly crafted, in terms of actually working. Several recipes we tried simply didn't work. We attempted the Black-Eyed Pea Fritters multiple times, by the book, and every time they decayed instantly into a cloud of bean crumbs as they were immersed in the oil. This is just the most vivid of the failures we encountered as we experimented through this book.

If Mr. Terry can collaborate with an author who's more technically comp
Wade
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first cookbook I read cover-to-cover. I've made several of the recipes already, and to great reviews!
The music (and art and book) suggestions also enhance the fun of making the recipes (and I was secretly gratified that my taste matches Mr. Terry's on a good number of songs).
The book itself is a bit small on the protein section, but it makes up for that with vegetables and inspiration. I'm inspired to make my own vegetable stock, and to figure out of canning is realistic.
This is an e
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Vegan Yum Yum Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For—From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Lunch Box: 130 Amazing, Animal-free Lunches Kids and Grown-ups Will Love!
Bryant Terry is an Oakland-based eco chef, food justice activist, and author of Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African American Cuisine (Da Capo/Perseus March 2009). For the past eight years he has worked to build a more just and sustainable food system and has used cooking as a tool to illuminate the intersections between poverty, structural racism, and food insecurity. His inte ...more
More about Bryant Terry...