Start by marking “La guerra de la pólvora (Temerario, #3)” as Want to Read:
La guerra de la pólvora (Temerario, #3)

La guerra de la pólvora (Temeraire #3)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  21,108 Ratings  ·  1,068 Reviews
El capitán Will Laurence, Temerario y toda la tripulación parten de Macao en un viaje fascinante, recorriendo la decadente ruta de la seda hasta llegar a Turquía, donde les espera su misión: recoger los huevos de dragón que el gobierno inglés ha comprado al Sultán. Pero el Sultán tiene con Napoleón una relación ambigua, y tal vez no le convenga que sus invitados abandonen ...more
Published May 23rd 2008 by Alfaguara (first published May 30th 2006)

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I read this book a week or more ago and forgot all about a review. See, I'm losing it!

I didn't love this one as much as the first two but anything with Temeraire & Laurence is still great ♥
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Be glad and rejoice, my Little Barnacles, for I am no longer going to write never-ending crappy non-reviews of all the books I read!

All you have to know about this book/series is:

It is light and cute and fluffy and I love it ergo my reputation is ruined but I don't give a shrimp what you Silly Arthropods think so there. QED and stuff.

Temeraire and Laurence are MINE. DUH.

Napoleon sucks.

Temeraire and Laurence are MINE. DUH.

Sneaking into Other People's Harems (OPH™) will always get you in t
Kevan
Jan 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was another foray into the foreign culture and politics of the Napoleonic era, this time exploring first Istanbul and the Turkish people and then moving north to the crushing military defeat suffered by the Prussians at Napoleon's hands.

I'm sorry to say I think the author fell prey to her own fascination with the military history of the time and lost sight of what the reader's personal interests might be. The second part of the book, the Prussian campaign, dragged considerably. The endless
Sofia
TEMERAIRE IS BACK, BITCHES!

So yeah, my worries about this series going downhill after Throne of Jade were completely unnecessary!

A few mindblowingly awesometacular things Black Powder War brough to this series:

-Tharkay. That is all. Tharkay alone is enough reason to read this series. Without spoiling anything about him, I can pretty much guarantee that you will find Tharkay, in and of himself, mindblowingly awesometacular.

-The trip around the world was way, way better executed in this book. It
Jack +Master Passion Read+
Sadly, the third book in the Temeraire series just wasn't quite in the same league as the two previous entries. Part of this is likely due to over-exposure, since I am reading them in succession with no breaks, and the other part is that this tale feels a lot like a transition piece (the pause, obligatory plate stomp, and then the windup before the pitch). Which is fine, as the journey to China took so very long in book 2, and to have a repeat journey on the way back in the very next book would ...more
Robyn
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A fascinating journey with a rousing finish. (Also amusing how easily one takes England's side; down with the tyrant Napoleon!)
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Kathleen
After reading the series, I've decided Captain Riley is incompetent, bigoted, and immature, and I question Laurence's people-reading skills in promoting him to captain. (view spoiler)

I'm learning more about the Napoleonic War from this series, despite the fictional dragons. It's a pretty decent alternate history, ro
RavenclawReadingRoom
21/6/2017
Trigger warnings: lots and lots and LOTS of animals get slaughtered and fed to dragons. Deaths by falling. War. Dragon masturbation. That one's not a trigger warning so much as a heads up because it's freaking weird.

Anyway.

I stand by pretty much everything I said last time. I think I found the pacing a little slower this time around? I liked the second half but I don't think I *loved* it?? That said, Iskierka is fucking fabulous and I love her.

21/5/2012
Plot summary: Temeraire, his ca
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I'm still enjoying this series, but I think the spark, that initial sense of magic and wonderment I first felt when I read His Majesty's Dragon, has faded.

I believe the ongoing war against Napoleon and the action-filled aerial dragon battles are meant to be the focus and highlight of these books, and that unique premise certainly sets this series apart from much of the other fantasy offerings out there. But if I'm to be completely honest, while reading this third book, I found myself constantly
Scott Sigler
This series is a goddamn delight.

It's very rare for me to read more than one book in a series, simply because I have lots of author friends and I want to experience their works. Usually I read book one and move on to the next, simply because of time limitations (I will grow old and someday die with a huge to-be-read pile sitting on the nightstand next to my death bed, because people are rude and keep writing good books). Novik's Temeraire series, however, has taken over my iPhone for running, w
Stephen
3.5 stars. Book three of the excellent Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. The world Novik has created and the special relationship between Temeraire and Laurence make these books a lot of fun to read. Add to that the fact that Novik can write very well and you have all the makings for a really good series. Recommended!!
Otherwyrld
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, historical
Book 3 of the series sees Temeraire, Captain Laurence and their crew on an urgent mission - to go from China to Istanbul to pick up three dragon eggs. The author wisely does not spend a huge amount of time on the first part of the journey, though at times I wish a map had been included to chart their journey. I must admit that I also could not understand why the journey was through the deserts of Eastern China, rather than going south and across India. Nevertheless, this part of the journey is e ...more
Athena
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans, dragon lovers, Regency era fans
Black Powder War, in which we follow Laurence and Temeraire through the intricacies of the Napoleonic Wars, out of the Asia of Book #2 via the mysterious, mostly unmapped, largely desert overland route back toward besieged and beleaguered Britain. I got thirsty, sand-blown and a bit sunburnt in this read!

Once again Novik has done a brilliant job of portraying place and circumstance: actions, relationships, dialog, all seemed very true to their time.
"Justice is expensive," Tharkay said. "That i
Book Haunt
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the heels of a harrowing diplomatic mission to Peking, Captain Will Laurence and his dragon Temeraire would like nothing better than to get back to England. But alas, it will not be quick or easy.

Their new assignment takes them on a difficult journey by land from China to Istanbul to retrieve three valuable dragon eggs and bring them home. As they travel via the Old Silk Road they will need a guide. This comes in the form of a new character named Tharkay, a toughened Nepalese/Englishman whos
Kaethe
I never would have guessed that I could be this fond of a series about the Napoleonic Wars. This volume has Temeraire and Laurence and crew traveling back overland from China. The action is just intermittent enough for us to take in the scenery, the privations of each leg, to really relax and catch our breath before BAM! we're right back in the thick. My world history is sorely lacking, so I asked the Spouse to fill me in on some of the background. I love these books, and the burgeoning rights o ...more
Marijan
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vidi se da se autorica potrudila smještajući svoje zmajeve u kontekst povijesnih bitaka. usprkos svemu, i dalje navijam za Napoleona.
Leseparatist
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2015
I liked this volume more, in spite of the more developed military sections - Tharkay & Iskierka make for great additions to the cast of characters. I'm much more excited to continue the series (though I still plan to take a break and read a few different books first).
April Sarah
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
3.5
Stefan
May 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, library-loan
The first book of this series, His Majesty's Dragon, is an enjoyable alternate history fantasy in which the Napoleonic Wars are changed by the addition of an air force, comprised of domesticated dragons. It's an enjoyable and tightly written book, well researched and written in (what appears to my layman's eye) a historically accurate style. I enjoyed the story of Laurence, a naval captain who accidentally captures a rare dragon's egg and becomes Temeraire's - the dragon's - captain and companio ...more
Katy
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forest_2017
Another enjoyable installment in the series. I like to see that Laurence is beginning to better see things from Temeraire's view -- interested to see what happens next.
YouKneeK
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Powder War is the third book in the Temeraire series. I enjoyed this one at about the same level as the previous two books. I was particularly happy when the story didn’t quite go in the direction I had expected it to based on the end of the last book, as described in more detail in the below spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Lark
I am seriously becoming progressively more disenchanted with this series the longer I continue reading. The faults seem to magnify and the good points seem to dwindle the more I read.

These books seem more like a historical recounting rather than story. Before, in the other two books, the focus was more on the characters and the world. But now, the main importance seems more about political ideologies and the war between France and the world. Perhaps it is because I don't habitually enjoy histori
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

Welcome back and let’s get a recap of the game so far. In the all black we have Temeraire and let me tell you this dragon is awesome. Two languages right out of the shell, a roar that destroys anything it’s path, and a captain that will do anything for him.

Facing the mighty Temeraire and his British crew are the French, led by their captain Napoleon. The Frogs have picked up a great free agent signing, strategy master Lien, the only other Celestial active in the Europeon war.
Marina
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star, own
To be honest, I don't know what to think of this series.

I knew based on it's reputation that it was basically the Napoleonic Wars plus dragons, which sounds awesome, and it's popular enough that I gave it a chance. But I didn't realize just how heavily on military engagements and politics it would be. Some of it is really fascinating and a couple of the dragon battles were so fantastic I nearly cheered, but some of the slower movements and lesser engagements get so boring, that I end up skimming
Roberta Jayne
Throne Of Jade was pretty terrible. It made me think twice about wanting to read any more of this series, but I gave it another chance. (Seeing as there are nine bloody books in this thing.) Thankfully, Black Powder War was an improvement, but it didn't manage to match the quality of the first book in the series.

The pacing of this book was great. It began with Laurence, Temeraire and the crew swiftly having to leave China in order to collect a handful of dragon eggs waiting for them in Istanbul.
Alex
Sep 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little more meandering than the other two, but she hasn't dried out her well of interesting ideas. There are several interesting new characters and the plot actually does move forward.

The dragons are again brilliant characters, who bring a unique perspective that differs not just from our own, but also in interesting ways from the point of view of the human characters. These conflicts form the moral center of this novel and are what really elevate it to a four, instead of just a t
Tracey
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last read Feb 2008 - listening to audiobook Jul 2011

The third in the series - Temeraire, Laurenec and crew are sent on a mission to retrieve 2 dragon eggs from Istanbul, and must cross the width of Eurasia to do so. Along the way they endure privations, clash cultures with Middle Easterners, meet a band of feral dragons and (once they reach Europe again) become involved in military engagements.

I would have liked to have seen more of how the Arab culture dealt with dragons; tho with Laurence &am
Megan Baxter
I have defended the previous books in this series. Without ever really loving one of them entirely, I have argued that they're entertaining, and for the last one, that it's an interesting variation on the naval novel, just with a dragon. But you know what? I've read this one, and although there's nothing that upset me about it, nothing particularly wrong with it, I think I'm done with the series.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforceme
Jim
It might have been just my mood, but I felt this was pretty boring. I had to force myself through the last half, because I found I really didn't care what happened to the main characters - no suspense. I knew they'd be OK. Those who die are bit parts, rarely thought of before hand & quickly forgotten afterward. The story line was rote. I actually guessed the route they'd take before they got there & I'm not that much of a historian.

It was probably as well written as the previous novels,
  • Dragon Avenger (Age of Fire #2)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #2)
  • Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (The Cardinal's Blades #2)
  • Lord Darcy  (Lord Darcy, #1-3)
  • The Mirador (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #3)
  • A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)
  • Passage (The Sharing Knife, #3)
  • Stars and Stripes Forever (Stars and Stripes, #1)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more
More about Naomi Novik...

Temeraire (9 books)
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)

“It is quite uninteresting; that is why one comes out."
— Temeraire, on being inside an egg
67 likes
“I will see you bereft of all that you have, of home and happiness and beautiful things. I will see your nation cast down and your allies drawn away. I will see you as alone and friendless and wretched as am I; and then you may live as long as you like, in some dark and lonely corner of the earth, and I shall call myself content.

-Lien, Albino Celestial (Dragon) ”
45 likes