Jump to ratings and reviews

Above All

Above All is a lighthearted action-adventure set in the waning stages of the Vietnam War which pits a consummate warrior against the political strangulation that rendered our armed forces virtually incompetent. It is a comical but sordid tale of a roguish gunship pilot and his nemesis, a petty commanding officer, who loathe each other at first sight. As fierce adversaries, they encompass the chaos of that era accompanied by a coven of nurses and a clandestine army of misfits who portray the best-and worst-of our country during that painful event. Their saga is one of love and lust, hope and despair, valor and cowardice, awash in a deluge of demoralizing apathy as they face the bitter ending of the conflict.

406 pages, Paperback

First published June 26, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

John W. Huffman

8 books15 followers
John W. Huffman was born in Hemphill, Texas, attended elementary school in Pineland, Texas, junior high and high school in Jasper, Texas, and graduated summa cum laude from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University.

John enlisted in the Army Airborne in 1966 and served two tours of combat duty in Vietnam, the first as a private, and subsequently a sergeant, with Alpha Company, 1/27th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division, in 1966-67, the second as an officer/aviator with the 120th Aviation Company in 1972-73. John retired as a major in 1986 with three Purple Hearts, three Bronze Stars, sixteen Air Medals, one Army Commendation Medal, two Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry Medals, and various other service and campaign ribbons.

Upon retiring from the military, John launched a real estate sales and management company, SouthCorp Properties, Inc., and previously owned and operated seven speedways in five states, created an automobile racing and sanctioning body, the American Racing Association, and developed three touring series.

John has received Seven National Book Awards for A Wayward Wind, The Baron of Clayhill, Tiger Woman, Above All, America's Diplomats, The Road To Attleboro, and Eyes of the Blind. His latest releases include Cold Hearts Burning and Searching For Leah. John is currently working on Witches' Hollow and When A Rebel Comes Home.

John resides in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina, with his wife Misty, and has three sons and four grand daughters.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (4%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Barry Parham.
Author 14 books31 followers
July 17, 2010
Don't let it end!

A book reader knows he's received a gift when he gets to the final page and wants more - when the reader stubbornly wishes to linger in the story, to remain in the company of the characters, just a bit longer.

I can think of no better compliment for an author and his book, and I can think of no better gift for a fortunate reader.

Author John Huffman has that touch, and 'Above All' is that type of gift. In each of his previous books, Huffman consistently ferries his readers through the most human of stories, and he does so again with this solid tale of courage and cowardice, humor and honor.

Hop in. Buckle up.
Profile Image for Whitney.
5 reviews
April 8, 2011
This Huffman novel unfolded to me like a slow sipping whiskey. I had a shot before bed each night, savoring the taste, the feel and the warmth of each scene. John W. Huffman brings to life the vivid and very human side of war through a wildly colorful cast of characters that you will love and laugh with, cry and honor...and never forget. When Above All came to a close, as does every good bottle of slow sipping whiskey, I found that I was tempted to tip it to my mouth, and search for one last drop!
Profile Image for Javier Robayo.
Author 4 books50 followers
March 8, 2012
Above All gave touched every emotion from beginning to end. The characters are so memorable. The story shows quite a different side from everything I've come to know about the Vietnam conflict. An entertaining tale, irresistible, I couldn't put it down. I've read it several times and it is still a joy to read. Wonderful, wonderful story
Profile Image for Jeannie Walker.
Author 10 books567 followers
May 20, 2012
I thought this was an extraordinary novel by an extraordinary man. He writes from the heart and tells it like it was. I would highly recommend this novel and his others to everyone.
Profile Image for Royalreader.
8 reviews1 follower
April 11, 2012
This was so well written and exciting read. Mr. Huffman is definitely a good author. No wonder he has won so many awards.
Profile Image for Jaime.
7 reviews
May 20, 2012
a war tale with a lot of humor, able to captivate me, as a reader, until the end.
101 reviews2 followers
May 13, 2017
That's Why They Call It Fiction

This was a fun book to read, by I never had to remind myself it was fiction. However, it correctly characterizes the Vietnam War.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.