Start by marking “The Venus Conspiracy” as Want to Read:
The Venus Conspiracy

The Venus Conspiracy

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  413 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
How can a drug that makes people fall madly in love be a bad thing?

So thinks Professor Bacci when he inadvertently unlocks the biochemical key to falling in love, and develops a drug capable of creating emotions indistinguishable from the real thing.

Determined that the world should benefit from his discovery, he seeks funding and business advice from a private Swiss bank,
Published October 2nd 2006 by Corgi (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Venus Conspiracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Venus Conspiracy

Karen Brooks
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than the rather corny premise suggested. A Professor, named, appropriately, Bacci (kisses in Italian) creates a love potion. Not your ordinary fairytale kind either, but the kind that causes complex and permanent chemical and emotional changes in those who consume it. It's potential and danger is quickly acknowledged. Of course, while the intention behind the invention is benign, when a villain steals the formula and sets in motion a plan that will effect the world, ...more
Janet Bai
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
of the books I have read, I can say that this story indeed had left a great impression in my mind.
it still lingers after 4 years and somehow upon seeing the book cover, somehow I can still recall what I have read.

the storyline was awesome, particularly using science to explain on the theory of falling in love which is rather one of the world's mystery- particulary for me.

the story was well paced and kept in suspense, somehow when the protagonist finally win the war, somehow one will feel "yah,
Natazzz
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boring, crime
When I started reading this book I was hoping the book was more than the bad plotline decribed in the blurb, but now that I finished reading I wish I never bothered reading it in the first place. Talk about an unrealistic, over the top, unbelievable storyline! I also didn't really enjoy the way it was written- it bored me and I found myself skipping pages a lot. Don't read it, it's not worth your time.
Raine
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is my second book of Cordy's that I've read and I've noticed a few recurring cliches. The main male protagonist who has been through something traumatising and as a result is emotionally closed off, the female love interest who changes him and the evil father figure. Also, the scene where Max saves Isabell from a life or death situation and that supposedly being the moment where he started to feel something for her was a very "damsel in distress" type scene and that also stood out as in uni ...more
Geoff Battle
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's weak sci-fi, it's not particularly taut action, there's not much meaningful character development and the plot is rather far fetched. With those points aside, Cordy has created a quick, easy to read future-tech thriller which pulls reader from cover to cover. There's a maniacal madman, a ruthless killer with a buried past, a beautiful and innocent woman caught in the plot and a spectacular showdown in a remote locale - it's pulp adventure writing at maximum throttle. Slip you brain in to ne ...more
Shalini Meher
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Although the idea of the plot is preposterous. But the writing is good. The way the book has progressed will keep you glue to it.
Val Penny
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I read the back cover of this book I was not sure that I would like "The Venus Conspracy". However, my husband and I were on holiday and I had finished the other two books I had taken with me. So there I was, hundreds of miles from home in the Al Garve in Portugal staying at Clube Humbria. The resort is reviewed at https://hotelandrestaurantreviews.wor.... I have a book by an author I have never heard of and a book I don’t think I will like! However, I did enjoy the book and far more than t ...more
সালমান হক
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystry
I think Michael Cordy is a little bit underrated. As his novels almost in some points is equavalent to Dan Brown's. The Messiah Code lead me into reading this book. That one was an awesome read. But, this one is rather a light one, not to be taken too seriously.
As I am personal fan of thrillers which refer to different Biological terms, Genetics and Biotechnilogy, i liked the plot of this book that a drug that makes u fall in love. And there were scientific explainations of love, what happens
Dokusha
Ein italienischer Wissenschaftler entwickelt eine Substanz, die in der Lage ist, unsterbliche Liebe auszulösen. Er sieht das Mittel als Möglichkeit, die Welt in ein Paradies zu verwandeln, braucht aber Geld für die Vermarktung. Der Bankier, an den er sich wendet, hat allerdings völlig andere Ideen über die Benutzung des Serums.
Ein sehr spannender Wissenschaftsthriller. Die Geschichte ist gut erzählt, und obwohl man einen Teil der Pläne des Bösewichts recht schnell durchschaut (der Autor unternim
Joe Stamber
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
A scientist discovers a drug that makes people fall in love, a pretty scary thought. When a ruthless businessman hears of it, he sees its potential to further his megalomaniac ambitions. Of course, there is a fly in the ointment when someone discovers what he's up to as his plans unfold. The subject matter made a change from the usual thrillers, I found it enjoyable without being outstanding.
Joan
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I nearly didn't finish reading this book, put it down a few times because the content was obscene. The idea that a drug could cause 'love'. More like slavery. The villain -Helmet-was diabolical and so evil it made me feel sick. Thank God this is fiction.
Vivian
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Although the story seems rather slow at first (I do not like the long preamble), then it finally takes hold and transports the reader to the end. Not completely satisfied with this book, but definitely a nice one to read. Not really bad as my first impact with science finction.
Ian Evans
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought the novel was very well written and has an interesting story that flows quite quickly. Characters were well developed, although I did think the main villain seemed very comic book or Bond villain-esque. Quite a light read and not to be taken too seriously.
Jacqui Singleton
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
didn't think I would enjoy this book when I started reading it. But turned out I thot it was fab
Judy
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining thriller that improved as it went along. It was quite gripping in places. I enjoyed it!
Elena
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Definitely creative! I found it really slow at the beginning I almost gave it up, but then in gets a lot faster and entertaining.
Sharon Ludbrook
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
quiet enjoyed this book did not think I would but was a good read I like the idea of the bad guy turning good and his father what an evil b...ard
Berry
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Loved that book. It got me hooked right from the start. Great characters, it's total science fiction yet made believable. Come to think of it, it is kind of scary... Brilliant.
Adrian Wilding
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book, interesting concept
Winnie
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this and would have no hesitation in recommending any Michael Cordy novel - haven't come across a duff one so far.
Raju
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Felt like some of the Irving Wallace books.
stella yip
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michael-cordy, owned
this is a brilliant story book. it is packed with great characters and plot. and also, it talks a lot of biology.
Vidiiaa Bebe
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read
Jackie D'andrea
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good plot. The characters were set out well and there were always twists and turns to keep you turning the pages.
Kris Martinsons
It was OK-ish, but I had to force myself to read through the last 7 or so chapters.
I would recommend this book if you like Love-Stories and Sci-Fi.
Lizliew
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved Crime Zero so much I went looking for more of Cordy's books. Not too pleased with this one. Lacks depth I thought.
Pauline
Jul 02, 2013
Nigel & Linda Bazely
rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2018
Patricia
rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2008
Agnieszka
Oct 18, 2013
  • Trance State
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • Dead Man’s Gift: Today (Part 3)
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
  • Burial
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Relics (Brother Petroc, #1)
MIchael Cordy's first novel, The Miracle Strain, about the search for the DNA of Christ, was published in over twenty five languages and forty countries. It reached the top five in the Sunday Times Bestseller List and became a bestseller around the world.

Disney bought the film rights for $1.6 million.

Another five novels followed: Crime Zero, Lucifer, True, The Source and the latest THE COLOUR OF
More about Michael Cordy