Start by marking “Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb” as Want to Read:
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Illus. in full color. A madcap band of dancing, prancing monkeys explain hands, fingers, and thumbs to beginning readers.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published January 20th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Calista
Another beginning book about monkeys and drums and hands. The monkeys are funny here and got laughs out of the kids. It was a fun book had by all. The nephew gave this 4 stars; the niece would not read it.
Matt
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a hiatus, Neo is back to do some reading aloud. He’s chosen some of the ‘Seuss-themed’ books, helping him with his rhyming words and also allowing him to be a tad silly. This book, quite popular in its own right, has a handful of monkeys working on drumming and humming while using their fingers and thumbs. While there is no real theme, the story builds with more activities and more monkeys, until a million or so are out and making what can only be presumed to be a massive racket. Neo loved ...more
Mariah Roze
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
An easy starter book for kids.
Dustin Luke
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted to like "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb." I'd heard the mumurs. Read the hype. EVERYONE has been talking about it. While it wasn't bad, it doesn't deliver on the hype.

I started off enjoying the book just fine. The first act is solid. Meandering a bit, maybe, but I was with Mr. Perkins. (Yeah, Perkins. Not Seuss. We'll get to that.) But then I get a little lost. The narrative thread is weak. As soon as you get to know one monkey they bring in another. Now, I'm not opposed to having a large
Aileen
Apr 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I actually really enjoy this book.
Its rhyming is fun, repetitive and catchy and a little bit silly which all means my son has loved it ever since I started reading it to him (probably when he was about 6 months old) and aged four he still loves it (and knows it off by heart).

The reason it gets such a low rating is because the pictures, although great, are obviously of chimpanzees. Chimpanzees are not monkeys they are apes.

It annoys me every time I read it.

I do not believe in the primate nested
Jim
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember this one so well that I had to chant it aloud with a smile on my face. It's been a while. I got a couple of the dum ditty's & hum ditty's confused, but not bad after 20 years. I guess I read it A LOT for most of a decade. Cute pictures, too.

Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. I had to read them first. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear.
Suzanne
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
27 years later my kids can still recite the verses. My husband always found the last pages a disturbing image ....millions of fingers, millions of thumbs, millions of monkeys drumming on drums. A classic.
Becky
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First sentence: Hand hand fingers thumb. One thumb one thumb drumming on a drum. One hand two hands drumming on a drum. Dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum.

Premise/plot: What starts out as one monkey joyfully drumming ends with millions of monkeys jamming away on their drums. Perkins' book is a jazzy treat that delights readers old and new.

Favorite quotes:
"Hello Jack." "Hello Jake." Shake hands shake hands. Shake! Shake! Shake!

Hand in hand more monkeys come. Many more fingers. Many more thumbs. M
J Austill
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book deserves 5 stars just from the sentimental value. It was one of two books that I bought for my daughter while she was in the womb and it was the very first book for her to become infatuated with.

It is a very simple book, with a great rhythm. It's about drumming and the words perfectly mimic drumming. For target ages, my daughter still loves it and she is 4 but she started liking it pretty much immediately after birth.

So, this is a great first book.
midnightfaerie
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
With Dr. Seuss like illustrations, the best part of this book was the rhyming rhythmic poetry that made the kids repeat every page. They added their own drumbeats by beating on the table and loved the bring colors that accompanied each page. One our whole family could enjoy.
R.
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1974-2002
The biological limitations of anthropoids. A hand, and another hand. Fingers on each. The thumb; the opposable thumb. An anatomy lesson for your little tommy, your little leslie and, ultimately, a primate primer, a reminder, por vous.
Kellee
Trent loves this book so much, and we read it over and over, so I really should want to give it 4 or 5 stars, but.... GOSH DARN IT, THOSE AREN'T MONKEYS! THEY ARE APES! I'm sticking by my convictions and giving it only 3 stars!
Sean Gibson
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gets bonus points for being my son's first favorite book (granted, he was all of 12 months old at the time). This tome's got rhythm, though--I'll give it that...
Kaethe Douglas
The favorite board book at our house. It has a great rhythm. I do wish they'd make a version that has the complete text from the non-board version. I was shocked to discover there was more.

I fully expect to be able to recite this when I'm 102.
Bam
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
My grandson loves the repetition of sounds.
Books Ring Mah Bell
Jul 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidsbooks
hands play fiddles zum zum zum. hand in hand more monkeys come!

I hope someday my son will appreciate all the books I read to him.
Cat
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What child or adult can resist reading this rhythmic story? Love all the monkeys drumming! great rhyme, great illustrations!
Ella
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Would be good to use alongside a music lesson, lots of repetition and children could join in with actions.
Julie Mesquita
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it since I was 8 months old. Mommy sings the words like a song and I keep tapping the book with my hands or thumbs accompanying the story. I don't read it often anymore, now that I am 2 and a half, but I sure loved it for a while.
Tanya
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just wasn’t thrilled with the words in this book!

Dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum, I just felt kids really don’t need this word anymore with all the bullying. Time to abolish it. And I’ve yet to figure why the handkerchief and blow blow blow was brought in to a drumming session.

Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - A monkey and his pals use his hands fingers and thumb to drum
Annotation - This book has a great amount of repetition and introduces body parts.
Age appropriateness 3-8 years
Connection to six early literacy skills
Vocabulary - This is a good way to introduce body parts.
Opinion - This is an average story but kids might like the visuals with the many monkeys drumming.
Candice
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was little. This one along with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a great way to read w/rhythm. My boys have all loved it as well.
Julene
Apr 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This one is way fun to read to kids. It has few words per page and is really rhythmic. Funny pictures. Love it.
Dehlia
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wee-ones
We read this over and over, sometimes with our drum and tambourine and sometimes without. Great rhythm!
Brittany
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alistair (15 months) drums along to this one and wanted to read it 3 times in a row so despite myself I'm giving it a 4.
Michael Fitzgerald
More tail-less "monkeys".
JoAnn
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another of Thomas’s favorites. He likes to come up to us and hand us the book to let us know he wants to hear it. He probably has asked for it six or seven times today alone.
Brianne
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, books-2016
Haven't read this one in years. So cute!
Netanella
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Cute rhyming book, but not a favorite.
Meghan Douglas
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is my toddler son's absolute favourite book. The rythm is intoxicating, the story simple, and the illustrations engaging. Recommended for every toddler under the sun.

• Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • The Eye Book
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • Boats
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Quiet Loud
  • All by Myself (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • A Fly Went By
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.