Start by marking “Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book: Traveling & camping skills for a wilderness environment (Allen & Mike's Series)” as Want to Read:

Hilarious and practical information about the art of backpacking from two NOLS instructors.
Published (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book

Start your review of Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book: Traveling & camping skills for a wilderness environment (Allen & Mike's Series)
Angela
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: backpackers - both experienced and novice
Great book! Allen does a good job of not getting bogged down in details, but also in covering all the "need to know" stuff. The illustrations by Mike are funny and informative. Also has helpful resources in the back to give you places to go for further information on many of the topics he covers. He does not get into light backpacking a whole lot, so I would recommend this book as merely a starting point on that topic.

I appreciate one thread that runs through the book: "style". Style shows a bac
Chatharina
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-bookshelf
Many tips that are invaluable for rookies and veteran back-packers. Reading this book made me want to go camping, it also helped me realize why some trips were more fun than others.
Ian Galey
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very helpful guide especially for beginner backpackers. The illustrations add a visual aid to the reading and are usually really fun. Though this book gives a lot of straightforward and useful information, one can only get so far by reading. Go out and backpack and let this book be a conceptual guide to an actual experience.
Kevin L. McLaughlin
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Common sense approach to backpacking

A great and very informative read. Provides a good base of understanding for your upcoming adventures.
However, as I’m never going to backpack so light as to not take a chair I’ll just have to accept Alan’s disappointment for that. 😀
Jessica
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This is a great intro to backpacking book except that it’s not only a beginner book. There’s a bunch I skipped because of more advanced content. Otherwise it gave some good information for first time backpackers.
Natalie Warren
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my textbook for my Basic Skills (Rec Management) class at BYU Idaho and it was really a fun and engaging read! Lots of good info. I highly recommend.
Wendy Wagner
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hiking
This small book is cram-packed with information! But it does a great job not overwhelming the reader, and Mike Clelland's ridiculous illustrations help keep the reading fun. ...more
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this for my backpacking class. Really helpful and good information.
Myles
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information. Some facts I already knew but some tips and tricks for even experienced campers.
Patrick
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. My friend got it for me as a gift in middle school and I still use it to this day when I go backpacking.
Jen
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for any beginner to the world of backpacking. There were a lot of tips in this book that I had learned through hard fought experience, and the illustrations were absolutely adorable.

This is not a book for anyone with one or two trips under their belt, except maybe to check out from the library. Certainly not to buy. You likely already know all that is inside the book, already.

This is also not a book for anyone who religiously reads Whiteblaze (dot net) as everything containe
Dawn
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has some really insightful ways to get prepared for your hike. Day hikes or long term. Great information on gear and what works best in what environment. Great stories about how they learned the hard way, and some funny illustrations! One of my more helpful books. I learned how to pack light, and also stay warm and dry. Proper shoes and socks, and it all makes a huge difference when your out there and your not going to civilation for a week! I hope you enjoy this is this is also a part ...more
Laura Sheffield
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoors
Most of these books give the same information, but this one stands above the rest because it has more information and it's presentation is far more entertaining, along with illustrations that drive the points home in a memorable way! ...more
Andi
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really helpful as I needed to brush-up on some skills to direct a wilderness camp. Perfect read for those looking for some humor on the subject. Thorough and I LOVED the illustrations!
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for a class. The information is good, but I really can't stand the pictures in it. Perhaps it should have been titled "Allen and Mike's Really Horribly Illustrated Backpackin' Book". That would have made more sense--to me, anyway. ...more
Naomi
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoors
very helpful and funny
Kate
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2012
good reference book. the illustrations were wonderful!
Megan
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oddles of information. A great reference book for many years to come. Already bought the Lighten Up and Ultralight for further insight.
Awesome illustrations too!
Emily
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring backpackers
Great introductory lessons in backpacking with delightful cartoons to keep you interested. Written with the lay-person in mind, it's a quick and informative read. ...more
Timo
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for newbie hikers and backpackers and some good stuff for those with more experience as well.
Andria
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love the cartoons!! makes it fun and easy to read (and learn).
Caroline
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Funny. Full of facts and tips for not being a beater in the woods.
Maryanne
David Tyree
Nov 23, 2020
Jennifer Jango-Cohen
Dec 09, 2018

• Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping
  • Lighten Up!: A Complete Handbook for Light and Ultralight Backpacking
  • The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide: Tools and Techniques to Hit the Trail
  • How to Survive Your First Trip in the Wild: Backpacking for Beginners
  • Czy psychodeliki uratują świat?
  • Not All Fairy Tales Have Happy Endings: The rise and fall of Sierra On-Line
  • Lost in Startuplandia: Wayfinding for the Weary Entrepreneur
  • Living with the Monks: What Turning Off My Phone Taught Me about Happiness, Gratitude, and Focus
  • Too Old to Ultra: When a marathon is just not enough