Start by marking “Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)” as Want to Read:
Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)

Candle in the Window

(Medieval #1)

Lady Saura of Roget lives a lonely life of servitude—her fortune controlled by her cruel, unscrupulous stepfather. Yet it is she who has been called upon to brighten the days of Sir William of Miraval, a proud and noble knight who once swore to live or perish by the sword . . . until his world was engulfed in agonizing darkness. Summoned to Sir William's castle, the raven-

Published (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Candle in the Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candle in the Window

Start your review of Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
Lizzy
Could you imagine being blind in the medieval times? That’s the theme around which Christina Dodd composes her great Candle in the Window. I enjoyed the fresh perspective, its unique characters and the challenges they have to weather. It’s a romance, a mystery and a thriller all in one. I also appreciated reading, even if superficially, about that difficult period of England’s history.

Lady Saura de Roget was born blind and during her young life has struggled for independence despite her drawbacks,
LibraryLass
I liked this one. I didn't see any 'rape' scenes at all in this so am not sure where some readers are coming from. I enjoyed all of this esp. the hero being besotted with the heroine before she knew her feelings. This is pretty opposite to what most hist.romances do where the man is always the last to discover he is in love.
The chemistry was good and the heroine being blind worked really well. The only clanger for me was that sometimes Saura was confident and other times she was supposedly
Anna D.
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounded up...

I really do enjoy medieval romances, the highland men/warriors are of so deliciously big, muscular, and masculine! But then turn into putty at the hands of the heroines. Love that!

I would say that William is the standard medieval hero we love to love – a big, strong man with a bit of a temper that is never misplaced or abusive. He’s intelligent, clever, insightful, skillful (if not the best) as a warrior, rich, powerful, and loves his family – and
Natasha
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad-books
Candle in the Window by Christina Dodd is a mixed bag that ultimately is a failure as a book.

The first half of the book is a delight to read. Dodd masterfully adds historic facts from the earliest English history to her tale, giving a reader the feeling that the characters are not just in a historic setting, but living the history. Her characters are mostly simple, not drawing much depth and thus little attention from the reader – that, is, until we meet Lady Saura of Roget.

Saura is a wonderfu
Kathy
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Juliana Philippa
Good medieval romance with a strong, admirable heroine and a wonderful, sensitive hero (4 stars)

Setting: Medieval England, 1153
Sensuality: 7

I greatly enjoyed Candle in the Window even though I don't normally read medieval historical romances - I'm more into the regency/Victorian setting. I am a great fan of Christina Dodd's novels, however, so I wanted to read this earlier work of hers (1991).

Saura and William were a wonderful pair and I enjoyed the interactions and chemistry betwee/>Setting:
Regan Walker
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Medieval with a Blind Heroine

Set in England in 1153 (at the time when Stephen was King of England and Matilda’s son Henry vied with him for the throne, this is the story of Lady Saura de Roget, a wellborn but blind heiress who has learned to use her abilities despite the lack of sight. When Roger de Miraval happens to see how well she runs her stepfather’s castle, he sees her as the solution to his son’s blindness caused by a battle injury. Sir William de Miraval is wallo
Kristine
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christina Dodd is one of my go-to authors. I love her writing, although I admit that her older stuff is not usually what I read. Candle in the Window is the story of Lady Saura and Sir William. During battle William is injured, losing his sight. William's father comes to Saura asking her to come help William. Blinded since birth, Saura understands William's unwillingness to accept his new blindness and agrees to help.

When she arrives William is beyond surley. He's unkept and unkind. He barks at
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Well, sorry, that book started okay, but just got stupider and stupider as it went along till I couldn't stand it anymore. Did not finish.

(view spoiler) ...more
Susan Ross
I would have given this book 4 or 5 stars if the story hadn't seemed to drag towards the end. It's about 100 pages longer than The Runaway Princess which I also just read and I don't think it needed to be.

The plot is wonderful with the exception of the nepharious plan to destroy the hero, which I think took too many pages to resolve. I realize the author wanted twists and turns in the story but to me it was like a car chase in a movie that lasts too long.

The relationship between the
ARomanceLover
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When William is blinded in battle his father brings home a self-sufficient young woman who been abused by her stepfather for her blindness and lusted after for her beauty. She brings William out of his sulks but soon there are devious plots afoot that put them both in danger.

I enjoyed the book very much but if was pretty lengthy. I loved all the historical detail and the warmth and humor in many parts. It almost made me tear up in parts but not quite so I couldn't give it 5 stars. Overall, I lo
Miranda Davis
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh perspective and characters with unique challenges. I was glad I delved into a romance set in a much earlier time. Gracefully done a pleasure to read.
Zoe
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was young and thought I liked it. I have been trying to re-read it. can't really get past the 50% mark. this book didn't age well for me.
Brianna
This wasn't bad, but the characters really got on my nerves, the heroine in particular. Saura was really stubborn, and seemed to change her mind about things really quickly. Plus, I hated how worthless she felt. I get insecurities, but that was just ridiculous. I liked how she stood up for herself though, and she knew how to do things on her own. The hero, William, was interesting. I was intrigued by the premise of having two blind main characters, and I found his journey a bit unsatisfying, but ...more
JiMina Heart
I can't finish it really... I liked the first half if it but as I was in the middle I started to get boring for me. idk what makes me feel bored but I did and I really feel sorry bout it, I liked her other books and I really tried to continue reading this one but I always drop it after 2 or 3 pages... T. T
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Overall Rating: 4.05 // Action: 3.0 / Emotion: 3.5 / Romance: 3.5 / Sensuous: 1.5 / Suspense: 3.5 // Historical Flavor: 4.5 // Laughter: 1 / Grins: 2 // Tears: 2 / Teary: 1

Candle In The Window: 4.05:
Although this was not the most exciting and emotionally touching medieval romance, Candle In The Window, was a very enjoyable read that never let the reader's interest waver.

Hero: 4.0:
Sir William of Miraval: Even though Dodd failed to give William a multitude of layers to his personality, love/>:/>Candle
Missy
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read.

There are no raping scenes in this book just one besotted knight and a blind lady.

This is one of my favorites by this author. I just love these two. His dad and Maude are a hoot, her half brothers are amazing, his son is sweet, and Bula is a charmer.

Saura maybe blind and beautiful but she is also brave and caring. I like how she does not let her blindness stop her from achieving things. She does carry an emotional scar of low self worth in believi
Arlene
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read medieval stories in such a long time, a complete change from the books I've read since I started the 2016 challenge.
Joyce
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third time reading this book and I loved it
Erika Miller
There were occasional things that I liked about the book, but they are far outweighed by the things that make me cringe.

I liked how Saura does not give William pity to help him cope. Yet, this only takes place in the beginning of the book because girl got a magic pussy that cures blindness.
And Bronnie, MY HEART!

My love of Bronnie and Bula aside, the writing was choppy and disjointed. There was no build into the plot or the main relationship. William's change of demeanor with S
Jericho McKraven
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a long book drought I am so glad I found Candle in the Window!

Christina's writing is flawless, her characters are wonderfully flawed and the way she seamlessly wove real history into the beautiful medieval setting was just! Ahhhh!!! I loved it.

I adored Saura, and Raymond was almost completely believable. (I think he was a bit too wonderful for a real live man in that time period, but close enough).

Just, read it!!! Whoever you are, pick it up now and read
TinaMarie
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James C. Frese
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one sweat book. You laugh and wont to cry for both of them. Wish I could find more like that
Frances
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second reading of this book. I think it is such a good book that I’ll put it on the book shelf to be read again.
Sharon Eikenberry-Deary
As always Christina Dodd comes out with another good read. I have only read her mysteries but surely will be reading more books like this.
Lovetoread
SECOND RE READ OF THIS ROMANCE....ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH....
Theresa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Missing pages

I read this book as a paperback and enjoyed it. Bought for my Kindle and was very disappointed because of the missing pages. The story did not flow

Househippo
Meh. Early Dodd and far from her best work. And why so long?! No, thanks.
Cici Edward
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First half of the book was great--a five. Second half slowed down a bit for me.
Sandra Walker
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot, It had everything, mystery, love, personality differences, fighting....... I will find more books by this author, she writes a good and well detailed novel.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 2 Jan 15, 2016 10:48AM

• Yours Until Dawn
  • Charming the Prince (Once Upon A Time, #1)
  • Only With Your Love (Vallerands, #2)
  • Suddenly You
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • A Fine Passion (Bastion Club, #4)
  • Summer Breeze (Keegan-Paxton #3)
  • Keegan's Lady (Keegan-Paxton #1)
  • Enchanted (Medieval, #3)
  • Defy Not the Heart
  • The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1)
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
New and now!
— STRANGERS SHE KNOWS: Cape Charade Full Length Suspense #3 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
— HIDDEN TRUTHS: Cape Charade novella https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
— WHAT DOESN’T KILL HER (had better start running): Cape Charade Full-length Suspense #2, now in paperback with reduced ebook prices! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Readers become writers, and Christina has always been a reader. Ultimately she discovered she liked to read romance best because the rel

Medieval (2 books)
  • Castles In The Air (Medieval, #2)
“I would. I could stand on my feet without you.” “And the tide would still go out without my pushing it. The spring will still melt the snow without my warm breath nagging it. You’re a person, all on your own, with hopes and thoughts and dreams completely separate from mine. Do you think I want a woman who needs to lean on me to be complete? I don’t, dearling, I want only you, as whole and self-sufficient and tender as you are. I want to know that if I die tomorrow, you can support my father’s grief and raise my son to manhood.” 2 likes
“Saura nodded, bemused by the code of ethics that allowed for murder and kidnapping but balked at a lady touching a lord outside of the state of wedlock.” 1 likes