Start by marking “The Carrot Seed” as Want to Read:
The Carrot Seed

The Carrot Seed

From beloved children's book creators Ruth Krauss and Crockett Johnson comes the perennial favorite The Carrot Seed, now in a board book that's perfect for little hands.

When a little boy plants a carrot seed, everyone tells him it won't grow. But when you are very young, there are some things that you just know, and the little boy knows that one day a carrot will come up.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published May 7th 1993 by HarperFestival (first published 1945)

Alex
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: baby-books, children
The plot of this one is, some kid tries to grow a carrot and everyone shits on him. "That'll never work," say his parents. "What a terrible plan," says his brother. But the kid waters it and - wait for it - it grows! Of course it grows, it's a fucking carrot. Do you know how easy it is to grow a carrot? It's like one step up from crab grass. So the lesson here isn't so much "Believe in yourself" as "You're surrounded by assholes," which is true but I don't know that my kid needs a book to rub it ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
A simple lesson on growth; both external and internal, and how faith can translate into action. Remember this book from my childhood...happy to come across it again.
Manybooks
Although I have most definitely enjoyed the main and fundamental messages presented in Ruth Krauss' classic picture book The Carrot Seed (and that although The Carrot Seed was first published over sixty years ago, in 1945, the concept of the little boy, the diminutive gardener, sticking to his proverbial guns, believing that his planted carrot seed will one day indeed become a carrot, no matter what the naysayers, no matter what his family claims to the contrary, is as important, as cheering and ...more
Ryan Collette
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is deep. It explores the complex nature of family and gardening technique. The obvious question when reading this book is whether the bumps on the boy's head is his hair or just a lumpy head. It's confusing because the lumps are the same color as his face. I don't know if I'm dealing with a boy or an alien. The other begged question is his landscape for planting the seed. Are we not seeing the whole picture or is he really planting a single carrot seed in a small patch of dirt? I would ...more
Vivian
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When sharing this story with children...
Introduce the author and illustrator.

Mention that Crockett Johnson also made the Harold and the Purple Crayon books and I wonder if the father in this story (turn to page that pictures the father) is Harold all grown up.

Stretch the story by miming the actions mentioned in the spare text.

Open one hand palm up and invite the children to do the same. Say there’s a tiny seed in your hand and it is black.

Close fist around the seed while using the other hand
Shiloah
Lamby (5) especially enjoyed this one.
Necole Penn
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-10-books, science
This book shows a lot of motivation and determination with this little boy trying to grow his own carrot. He was able to prove his parents, and brother wrong by keeping his plant well fed and watered that soon it sprouted. The Carrot Seed shows young children how to grow plants, how to feed them and to check on them daily for a good expected outcome. This book is great for a science domain in learning. Even when no one else has faith in you or your projects, you have to keeping moving foward and ...more
Elizabeth Gonzalez
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The storyline about "The Carrot Seed" is about a young child who never gives up on his seed. Everyone in his family tells him that the seed wont grow but that doesn't stop him. He keeps making sure his seed is well taken care of. One day the seed becomes a huge carrot. The book is allowing the children to think about never giving up even if people don't support you. The book gives hope and motivation. Children are able to do the impossible if they put their heart and mind to it. the book does en ...more
Cj Lee
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-reliance
The carrot seed was another learning experience for me as a parent. It taught me not to criticize or tell my children that something cannot be done. In the book the little boy plants a carrot seed and waits patiently for the carrot to grow. In the book his whole family tells him that the carrot would not blossom but with perseverance, the carrot finally came up from the ground just as he was expecting. I bet with the carrot growing as he was expecting, his self-esteem and confidence was restored ...more
RLL22018 Danielle Razo
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because the little boy stuck true to his convictions and ended up being right! The illustrations aren't super colorful, but the are very adorable. Most books have families that are totally supportive of their kids, but not this book, which is okay. The other characters were trying to be realistic, but the little boy was confident that a carrot would come up. The story line is easy to follow and the language is simple.

I think kids would love this book because it encour
Quintin Bostic
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Carrot Seed was an excellent book! I used this book in my classroom when discussing with children the developmental cycle of a plant. By using hands on lessons and fun filled activities, this is definitely a book that all children will remember.
momma.hailey
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Faith & Perseverance....two traits I hope to instill in the hearts of my children. Love this story but the illustrations hold me back from a 5 star rating.
Mary Lou
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simple. Faith. Persistence. And that's all it takes. Great lesson.
Woodland Animal
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I planted so many carrot seeds!
Kathryn
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Simplistic, crisp illustrations, timeless story. Written 1945.
Natalie Pietro
Nico made me read this book to him three times in a row. He would have read it all night if I didn't make him go to bed. Great classic children's book.
Beverly
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-food-drink
I first read this book long ago. It is a classic picture book for a reason: it has a deceptively simple story and deceptively simple cartoon illustrations. The story basically teaches children to persevere in the face of adversity and to believe in oneself. And of course, this little boy's perseverance results in an oversize carrot. The colors are muted and somewhat drab until the page with the bright green carrot top and the page with the bright orange carrot. I expect it will remain a classic ...more
Colby Sharp
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Yup, this book is AWESOME!
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Cute book about believing in something even when family tells you it's impossible.
Ellen Sun
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first book I borrowed from the library.
I love the little boy who believe in himself.
Huda
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: en-pic-books
nothing special , really!
all his family thought his carrot seed wont grow but it finally did
I guess the author wanted to tell how important it is to stand for your own believe, that's all
Michele Stalmer
A classic! Great way for kids to learn about patience, faith and believing in yourself.
Mateo Lopez
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kristin
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Both my boys know this story nearly verbatim by now...it is so hard to wait until something actually comes up in our garden!! Patience and persistence are the gentle gardening (and life!) lessons in this classic book.
Betul Kilinc
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love love loved this book very much! It teaches kids perseverance and a little bit about science and how stuff grows, but mostly to never give up on what you believe will happen and I just love that message. The illustrations are very plain and sweet in this book but I love them, I feel it just feets to the story and I think every child needs to be read this book, it's simply AMAZING!
Nareida Zamora
I love everything about this book .It reminds me of old times. I think children will respond supper good having a great picture book with a couple of words and the children can relate to plants in the summer time. If i ever read this book out loud i would make sure I get the kids involve a lot asking them what they see and just making sure they know how food can grow.
Pam Jones-Nill
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Carrot Seed was part of a workshop I attended in August 2017. I certainly do not remember reading the book some eons ago myself. The simplicity of the book and message of believing in one's own abilities and faith inspired me to do the same. Continue to, believe me, my abilities and my goals. Doing so will yield rewards. What a positive message for our children in today's world!
Shawn Thrasher
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
The moral of this story is "keep on keepin' on." Or, "don't stop believing." Or "illegitimi non carborundum." Or "the power of positive thinking." Or "fuck off." Or "don't trust anyone over 30." Or "don't let the man keep you down." Or "I think I can, I think I can." Or "patience is a virtue." Or "Well done is better than well said." Or "the scorners delight in their scorning." Or "hope deferred maketh the heart sick, but when the desire" - or the carrot - "cometh it is the tree of life." Or "ho ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 4/17/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 4/4/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 4/4/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 4/5/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Alex Furlong
The Carrot Seed is about a very brave young boy that shows determination. In this story, despite his family telling him to stop, he pursues his goals in having this seed grow. The book teaches children not only how to grow plants, but how to have patience. The boy could of easily given up and stopped watering the seed; however, he did his job every day, and one day a carrot appeared. Children can read this story and be taught that things worth having do not always come easy.

• Ask Mr. Bear
  • Flower Garden
  • Play with Me
  • George and Martha
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Whistle for Willie