Start by marking “The Discoveries: Great Breakthroughs in 20th-Century Science, Including the Original Papers” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In this captivating and lucid book, novelist and science writer Alan Lightman chronicles twenty-four great discoveries of twentieth-century science--everything from the theory of relativity to mapping the structure of DNA.These discoveries radically changed our notions of the world and our place in it. Here are Einstein, Fleming, Bohr, McClintock, Paul ing, Watson and Cric ...more
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Discoveries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Discoveries

Leandro Discaciate
Excelente livro, edição sofrível. Não é uma review do livro em si e sim da edição em português.

A versão em inglês apresenta os artigos científicos originais. Dá até para entender a ausência, tendo em vista a dificuldade de reunir todos os textos técnicos traduzidos. Infelizmente o texto várias vezes faz referências a gráficos, trechos, tabelas, figuras e equações dos textos originais. É frustrante ler essas partes do texto em que ele discute objetos que não está disponíveis (em alguns casos são
Kevin Spicer
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My brain is like a food chopper mostly, nothing really exits in the same way it entered. So as I write, much of the scientific discoveries in this book are in the process of getting mixed up in the great beef stew of my mind. But if you expect to become a master of theoretical physics and molecular biology by reading this book, well, I'd call you crazy as a quark!

But despite the complexity of the theories and experiments described, Alan Lightman is great at providing simple images that unscienti
eric
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as the title suggests, this book is an excellent review of major scientific discoveries that occurred during the 20th century. the fields of research included physics, physiology, astronomy, molecular biology, biochemistry, and others. i would highly recommend it for scientists and non-scientists alike as lightman does a great job of describing the breakthrough.

each chapter consists of two parts: the original published manuscript describing the work in the scientists own words preceded by a sho
Greg
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science
This was pretty good. I think it is easy to forget how much that is now considered pretty basic scientific knowledge, such as hormones, were pretty much unknown at the beginning of the 20th century. In general, despite being highly cut down, the actual papers were a bit too technical for me to do more than skim (though that was usually interesting), other than for the biological papers, but the difference in styles was something that struck me, especially as there is so little variation in moder ...more
Natale Cozzolongo
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People continuously fascinated by the world
Shelves: science
I have an ever increasing respect for Alan Lightman's talent and how he applies that talent. This is the kind of writting that, if framed correctly, could turn a whole catagory of people onto the world of science because he humanizes it so brilliantly. I wish my highschool physics and chemistry teachers had taught with this book.

My only complaint was that as a layman, reading through this a little less than rigourously and without a teacher, it got somewhat technical at times, even in Lightman's
Pedro EVHS Cuevas
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very descriptive and full of knowledge. Many of the items we use today could be used because of the inventions mentioned in this book. I really enjoyed how the author included the original papers of the works of the scientists. It gives insight as to what they were thinking and planing..
Ken Rideout
May 12, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Lightman's intro to the papers are better than the papers themselves. Anything by Lightman is worth reading. I may or may not actually read the papers themselves. Just the choices he had to make are interesting.
Carrie Watson
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good! I loved the insights the author gave before presenting each original paper. Really gives insight into the minds of some of the most important discoveries through time. I recommend it to any scientist or anyone who is interested in learning the history of science.
Keir Thomas
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me half a year but I finished it! While a lot of the science was above my head (despite the author's best efforts to make it accessible to the layperson), I found the process of discovery fascinating. Well worth the read.
Jeff Jacot
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it!
Brian
Jan 07, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
science in it's original form...a couple dozen fundamental ideas with their original papers included and explained.

I pick it up and read a bit now and then.
Aaron
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a nerd book, but not over your head. Very insightful and interesting
Beth Shields-Szostak
Jun 22, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
1st edition, signed by author
Helen
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really great. It had the introductions and current happenings of the scientists that led up to the discoveries. Reading the original works was also really amazing.
Lauren
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone interested in science! I know understand the biology bits better and have a passing knowledge of the physics papers.
Brian
Jan 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
original text of the most significant science publications, but it's tough, technical reading
ateedub
Mar 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A collection of some of the most groundbreaking and ultimately important scientific papers in the past 100 years. Definitely not a book to read cover to cover but to peruse when you have time.
Z
Aug 27, 2008
Dallas
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale, and How a 19th-Century Admiral Turned Science Into Poetry
  • Present at the Future: From Evolution to Nanotechnology, Candid and Controversial Conversations on Science and Nature
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2004
  • Corrupted Science: Fraud, Ideology and Politics in Science
  • Why Things Break: Understanding the World By the Way It Comes Apart
  • Tycho and Kepler: The Unlikely Partnership That Forever Changed Our Understanding of the Heavens
  • The Secret Life of Germs: What They Are, Why We Need Them, and How We Can Protect Ourselves Against Them
  • The Plausibility of Life: Resolving Darwin's Dilemma
  • A People's History of Science: Miners, Midwives, and Low Mechanicks
  • Time, Love, Memory: A Great Biologist and His Quest for the Origins of Behavior
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • Biology as Ideology: The Doctrine of DNA
  • In Code: A Mathematical Journey
  • The Calculus Gallery: Masterpieces from Newton to Lebesgue
  • The Night Is Large: Collected Essays, 1938-1995
  • The Fly in the Ointment: 70 Fascinating Commentaries on the Science of Everyday Life
Alan Lightman is a physicist, novelist, and essayist born in Memphis, Tennessee. He is an adjunct professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the author of the international bestseller Einstein's Dreams.

More about Alan Lightman...