Start by marking “Who Was David Weiser?” as Want to Read:
Who Was David Weiser?

Who Was David Weiser?

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  469 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
During the sweltering summer of 1957 in Gdansk, three boys and a girl fall under the spell of a mysterious classmate, David Weiser. A thin Jewish boy of few words, Weiser can hypnotize panthers, shoot a bullet through a Hitler stamp at a hundred meters, and even levitate. After staging a spectacular explosion with a hidden cache of old German munitions, Weiser and the girl ...more
Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published November 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was David Weiser?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was David Weiser?

Maciek
PL: Recenzja w dwóch językach - tekst angielski znajduje się pod polskim.
ENG: This is a bilingual review - English text is presented below.

PL: Weiser Dawidek to prozatorski debiut Pawła Huelle opublikowany po raz pierwszy w rok moich narodzin (1987), a zarazem pierwsza polska powieść którą przeczytałem po długim urlopie od polskiej literatury. Wybrałem "Weisera" przypadkowo; wstyd się przyznać lecz wcześniej nie czytałem nic autorstwa Pawła Huelle, a moja wiedza na temat jego twórczości była doś
Lorenzo Berardi
Another book about the Gdansk / Danzig region I read by coincidence in the same days I put my eyes on the pages of "Dog Years" by Gunther Grass.

"Who Was David Weiser" takes place between the 1950s and the 1970s with a massive use of flashback. It was uneasy to get into the mood of this book, but then I have to say how Pawel Huelle writes like no other novelist I read so far.
Sometimes I appreciate his style sometimes not (the metatextual references to readers, chosen terms and hypothetic editor
Ryan Horricks
Oct 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Still don't know who David Weiser is..but what I do know is this is one fantastic book..well written and compelling..you can't find this book in print, but I recommend you get on amazon and buy a used copy..you won't regret it..
Skip
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended by Maciek. Set in the late 1950s in Gdansk (Poland), this is a classic coming of age story. David Weiser is a mysterious Jewish outcast in a Catholic town. His sole defender is a girl named Elka, and over time, three other boys become fascinated by this seemingly worldly classmate. The book is narrated by one of the three, while they are being interrogated following the disappearance of Weiser and Elka, who are presumed to have died in a huge explosion detonated by Weiser. The consta ...more
Anna
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book absorbs all your attention and mind. I still don't know who Dawid Weiser was? But he influenced very strongly lives of people he was playing with back in late 1950s. Great, gripping and thrilling.
Paul
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the past year or so I have come to appreciate polish authors more and more. Mostly in the crime genre. So it was while looking for a new book to devour I came across this book. While not my usual fair I became intrigued by the premise. Our narrator now later on in his life recalling back to events of his childhood. What happen to the mysterious boy known as David Wieser. where did he come from and where did he go after the summer they spent together.

We are told this extraordinary tale from
Lórien
Zaczynałam lekturę tej książki od audiobooka czytanego przez Wojciecha Malajkata; audiobook zniknął niestety z Ninateki, ale głos Malajkata towarzyszył mi do końca. Ciekawie konstruowana narracja, kłamstwa przesłuchania i "rzeczywiste" wydarzenia, wspominana dorosłość narratora, która w jakiś sposób zaczyna dominować nad historią zniknięcia pewnego żydowskiego chłopca z jego dzieciństwa. Aura mistyki bijąca z opowieści snutej po latach chyba więcej mówi o tym, że w późniejszych wydarzeniach, zwł ...more
Piego di Libri
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romanzo poliziesco se vogliamo. Thriller intriso di suspence. Per quell'enigma che con l’andar degli anni attanaglia chiunque.
Roderick Hart
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story is told by a boy who, together with his friends Piotr and Szymek, had a good deal to do with Weiser before he disappeared. Since Weiser had been causing a series of explosions just before his disappearance, the authorities want to establish exactly what had happened to him. For example, did he blow himself up and, if so, why were no body parts to be found?

The ‘authorities’ include the headmaster of their school and an unpleasant biology teacher referred to throughout as M-ski. They int
Natalia
3.5/5 ☆ Nadal nie wiem, co się wydarzyło. Nadal się zastanawiam. Nadal wiem, że żadna z teorii nie będzie prawidłowa.
Ronald Morton
Does "I don't know" count as a review? I mean that not only towards the title of the book, but towards my feelings about the book itself. I'm truthfully puzzled by this book - I feel like I slowly picked at a lot of threads as I was reading it, but none of them ever really went anywhere, so now I'm just left with a handful of threads and a lot of confusion. I'm not sure if this book is just too enigmatic for its own good, or if I'm missing some unifying details somewhere in the book.

So I don't k
Hania Vandzillak
Dokładnie pamiętam dzień, kiedy postanowiłam przeczytać "Weisera Dawidka". Ta powieść była słuchowiskiem radiowej Dwójki, słuchając ekscytującego fragmentu o zaginięciu Weisera i trwającym w gabinecie dyrektora przesłuchaniu, spóźniłam się na umówione spotkanie.

Nie wiedziałam, kim jest narrator, tytułowy bohater, nie miałam pojęcia, o co właściwie chodzi, ale plastyczna narracja dziejącej się w rodzinnym Gdańsku spowodowała, że nie mogłam oderwać się od niej.

Lektura zaskakuje: widzimy magiczną h
Lada Moskalets
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Сумний повоєнний Гданськ, підлітки з робітничих родин і єврейський хлопчик Давідек, схожий своїми вміннями не то на чаклуна, не то на диявола. Оповідач через багато років намагається зрозуміти і витлумачити всі історії з зникненнями, зачарованими пантерами і левітацією, але раціональне пояснення, хоча й знаходиться, та все ж не те, що потрібно.
Дуже сподобалася ця атмосфера соціалістичної Польщі 50-х. Надприроднє з'являється то тут, то там, як Давідек, чи місцевий священик (який конкурує з партіє
Thurston
Dec 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hooded trolls desperate for attention
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Utter Crap. There's so much wrong with Weuser Dawidek that one might wonder how the universe did not implode on the day of its publication.

Maybe the universe doesn't give a crap about this latest turd
The whole thing is written with some of the most forced and dull prose I've read in years.

It's intrusive and annoying and tries too hard to be smart. Compile such deep moments with dumb dialogue and endless rants and you have the most souless works of fiction ever.

Crappiest crap ever.....
Kris McCracken
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book. We don't ever quite answer the question posed in the title, but the journey is magnificent. A tender, lovely work. Highly recommended!
Monika
książka wciąga i intryguje
Jessica
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The inconclusive ending left me feeling frustrated...
ufaflunic
  • Pierwszy krok w chmurach
  • Morfina
  • Zdążyć przed Panem Bogiem
  • Przyjdzie Mordor i nas zje, czyli tajna historia Słowian
Paweł Huelle (b. 10 September 1957 in Gdańsk, Poland) is a Polish prose writer.

Huelle studied philology at Gdańsk University, and later became a journalist. He worked for a time for the press service of Solidarność (Solidarity). He has also taught literature, philosophy, and history. He was director of the Polish Television in his home town from 1994 to 1999.

His literary debut came in 1987 with We
More about Paweł Huelle...