Start by marking “A Subtle Thing” as Want to Read:
A Subtle Thing

Read eBook

A Subtle Thing

Raw, honest and relentless, Alicia Hendley's debut novel is a heartbreaking and uplifting journey into one woman's battle with clinical depression. Drawing on her experience as a clinical psychologist, Alicia has created a compelling portrait of what life looks like through the eyes of someone whose actions may otherwise appear inexplicable. A Subtle Thing is a must read f ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Five Rivers Chapmanry (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Subtle Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Subtle Thing

Start your review of A Subtle Thing
Steven Buechler
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book. For anybody who has dealt with mental health issues (and we all have) this narrative provides a great insight into the problems and solutions to the issues. If anybody wants to borrow this copy of this book, don't be afraid to ask.

From "A Subtle Thing" pg 20-21:
As I lie on my rank bed I realize that I've reached that stage. I can no longer recall there every being a time in which I wasn't in this thick, viscous despair. I know that such a time must have existe
Cydni Perkins
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads*
I really enjoyed this book. I originally wanted to read it because I am prone to severe depression, the book was written by a psychologist who specializes in depression cases. I wanted to see an outsider's viewpoint about depression and maybe learn something along the way.

And I did. The story is basically a bittersweet character study of a very realistic person who struggles with occasional episodes of major depression. I felt th
Elena (ReasonstoRead)
I think it was good to be opened to such a book, even if at some points I was doing more skimming than reading. It is written by a PhD in psychology. It's a very modern day portrayal of how we treat and cope with depression in our day and age, unfortunately, through psychologists, psychiatrists, or other forms of escapism. I felt sort of irked that she was so dependent on her psychologists to guide her through it all. I have a different perspective in dealing with person difficulties that aren't ...more
Heathercheryl Stevenson
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Heathercheryl by: This was a Goodreads complimentary copy
This book was a Goodreads complimentary copy that arrived before Christmas. Beginning this book two days before Christmas, I wondered if I would be able to handle a book on depression during the holidays. After the first chapter I was hooked!

This is not a novel “about” depression, it is a novel about a wonderful, intelligent and courageous woman named Beth who struggles and manages her life with this incapacitating disorder. A Subtle Thing is a gritty and raw novel that hits the reader in a pow
Kathleen Grant
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and insightful novel! I don't usually enjoy these kinds of books, but this one really captured my attention and drew me into the dark world of someone who suffers from depression. I gained new understanding and empathy for anyone or any family who is touched by this horrible illness! Highly recommended! Alicia Hendley
Lynda
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I won this book on Goodreads firstreads. I found this book to be interesting, speaking about one form of depression. But, as I know myself everyone is different when it involves this disease, and the way it shows itself is different. I think the character in this story was lucky as she had people who knew she had a problem and even though some got tried of dealing with it they were aware. Everyone suffering from this needs to talk to someone, there is help!
Lesli
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I couldn't put the book down. It was very well written but would have loved to see more in between Kate being two and four. It seem like it happened all of a sudden. The descriptions of the feeling were great, actually real. I would say its a must read for anyone who has been depressed or family and friends that are dealing with someone who is depressed.
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked this book because the author works at the university I attended - in the counselling department. It wasn't bad - she got the medicine right, the therapy right, the family dynamics mostly right... just the plot of the story was a bit unbelievable at times. Still, I'm glad I read it.
Caz Ward
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book draws you in and keeps you hooked to the end. A compelling read, that leaves you feeling a little more insightful towards the world of depression without being depressing in itself.
Gord Higginson
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! very moving, fast paced and entertaining. A skillful look at a contemporary problem written in a contemporary fashion.
B.
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Very eye-opening look into what it is like to feel depressed. After suffering from depression from many years myself, it was good to read another view of the debilitating disease.
Clare Diston
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Read my review on my blog:

Nate Hendley
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A powerful novel about a very depressed young woman. I strongly recommend, and not just because the author happens to be my sister.

-Nate Hendley
Morgan
Hilary
Earlene Glasgow
Jul 14, 2010
Alicia Hendley is a PhD in clinical psychology, and when not writing is a psychologist in the counselling centre at the University of Waterloo where she primarily works with young adults.

Her debut novel, A Subtle Thing, releases July 1, 2010."