Start by marking “العجوز والبحر” as Want to Read:
العجوز والبحر

العجوز والبحر

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  606,647 Ratings  ·  17,742 Reviews
It is the story of an old Cuban fisherman and his supreme ordeal: a relentless, agonizing battle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream. Using the simple, powerful language of a fable, Hemingway takes the timeless themes of courage in the face of defeat and personal triumph won from loss and transforms them into a magnificent twentieth-century classic.
Mass Market Paperback, 156 pages
Published July 1974 by دار الهلال (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about العجوز والبحر, please sign up.

Marilyn There are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the…moreThere are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the book.

Shiloh by Naylor
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Lad A Dog by Terhune
Lassie
Rascal (it's about a raccoon) by North

There is a great series about a pig named Freddy who has all sorts of adventures. Walter Brooks wrote his series in the 1950's. IF you can find any of them they are wonderful. Freddy becomes a detective, he writes a newspaper, he goes to school and plays baseball. He travels to Florida and also to the North Pole.
(less)
ანკა ლობჯანიძე This year I loved Hemingway very much.
This year I loved Hemingway very much.
For me, this story is about hope. Fish is a hope and happiness, and people are always looking for hope and happiness everywhere and always.(less)

Matt
Nov 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mermaids
Worst book ever.

Just throw the fucking fish back in. Fuck.
Sara
Apr 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anyone-fiction
Oh, my good lord in heaven. Cut your line, land your boat and go to McDonald's! Just as in the case of The Great Gatsby, I understand the book. Yes, I know it changed the way American writers write. I also understand that it celebrates the ridiculous American idea that you're only a REAL man if you've done something entirely purposeless, but really dangerous, in pursuit of making yourself look like the bull with the biggest sexual equipment. Get over it, already! Go home and clean out the refrig ...more
Stephen
hemingway-1-1 v2

My very first time reading Papa and I absolutely LOVED IT. Sometimes the experience you have with a book can be effected by many things beyond the narrative itself, and I think that is certainly the case here. While I believe I would have loved this story regardless, there is no doubt that the stars aligned themselves perfectly to make this a singularly special read for me.

Let me explain...

Last year, I was in Napa with my wife and two of our best friends celebrating my (oh shit!!) 40th birthday
Matt
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I read this as a young man and was disappointed. It didn't work for me. I thought it was about a crazy old man gone off the reservation, picking a fight with an innocent fish while ranting about the New York Yankees ("I would like to take the great DiMaggio fishing. They say his father was a fisherman...").

I picked it up again, after the passage of some years, and found it incredibly poignant.

It's a simple story. There's an old man, Santiago, who is a fisherman fallen on hard times. He is cared
Madeline
"There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know."

-Ernest Hemingway
Will Byrnes
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is intimidating to offer a truly critical look at such a classic, so we will ease into it with a few images.

The GOP has offered us a ready-made item to begin this list, and yes, I know that John Stewart already snagged this one and threw it back.
description

I turned up a visual art concept that fits in, for a restaurant based on EH themes:description

Although I did not sit for this photo, the resemblance is indeed strikingdescription

And, of course
description
The Old Man and the Cee Lo.

I suppose am certain there are plenty more images one
Riku Sayuj
The wolves will come...

I started this in high spirits as my updates show: "fifth re-read, how thrilling it is to plumb new depths in old wells of wisdom..."

But, as I read on towards the last few pages, I couldn't shake the feeling that this is Moby Dick set in an alternate universe.

In this alternate universe:

The Giant Leviathan is a noble, unseen fish - steady and without malice.
Captain Ahab is transformed into a gentle, wise old zen master. Santiago - a humble fisherman with no legendary crew t
Brina
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ernest Hemingway is considered one of the masters of American 20th century fiction. Garnering from his life experiences, his novels reflect on his time as a newspaper reporter and correspondent in a Europe during both the inner war and war years. A member of the lost generation, Hemingway was the first of his group to have a major work published. In addition to all of the accolades bestowed upon him, Hemingway is considered along Steinbeck to be a master storyteller, especially of short stories. ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
521. The Old Man and The Sea, Ernest Hemingway
The Old Man and the Sea is a short novel written by the American author Ernest Hemingway in 1951 in Bimini, Bahamas, and published in 1952. It was the last major work of fiction by Hemingway that was published during his lifetime. One of his most famous works, it tells the story of Santiago, an aging Cuban fisherman who struggles with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Cuba.
In 1953, The Old Man and the Sea was awarded the Pul
Jibran
My big fish must be somewhere.

Many years ago when I read The Old Man and the Sea I thought it was going nowhere, that it was too simple and ordinary to be of any consequence. On a second reading, however, my view changed and I ended up loving it. What I mistook for repetition was a literary device for emphasis and the boat, like the story, that I judged to be unmoving in the rolling seas was caught in a whirlpool churning the waters in its depth so that the boat and the old man at the sea were n
The Old Man and the Sea Book Review 5 42 Oct 29, 2017 05:59PM
Catching up on Cl...: July 2017 - The Old Man and the Sea 100 158 Oct 22, 2017 12:31PM
Catching up on Cl...: This topic has been closed to new comments. * The Old Man and the Sea 1 22 Sep 14, 2017 08:12AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Old Man and the Sea 2 3 Aug 21, 2017 08:38PM
  • In This Our Life
  • The Able McLaughlins
  • History
  • Lamb in His Bosom
  • The Pearl
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...
“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” 2422 likes
“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated.” 1615 likes