Start by marking “The Complete Accomplice” as Want to Read:
The Complete Accomplice

The Complete Accomplice

(Accomplice #1-4)

All four of Steve Aylett's "Accomplice" books in one volume, revised, with a new Preface and an intro by Michael Moorcock. Starburst Magazine has called the books "a hugely impressive example of outrageous literary wit and uncommon good sense, demonstrating once more that Aylett is the coolest writer alive today." SFX has called them "Bizarre, innovative and utterly ...more
Published July 5th 2010 by Scar Garden Press

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Accomplice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Accomplice

Start your review of The Complete Accomplice
Warwick
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it

Welcome to Accomplice, population: deranged.

The setting for these slipstream novels is summed up efficiently enough in the third book:

Accomplice was a sun trap lidding an etheric mesh of connecting tunnels, the creepchannel. This toxic tissue formed a subterranean transit system for demons on their way to people's breakdowns.

That's as good an explanation as you're going to get, frankly.

Steve Aylett – the Bizarro Bard of Bromley – treats the English language like a roll of bubble-wrap, popping it
Emory
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro-fiction
Few things are certain in life. It is generally accepted that two of these few are death and taxes. For Barny Juno not only are these things certain, everyone else around him is in some way conspiring to ensure that they happen sooner than later. It all begins with “Only an Alligator”.

“The Complete Accomplice” collects all four of Steve Aylett's “Accomplice” novels, the aforementioned “Alligator” plus “The Velocity Gospel”, “Dummyland”, and “Karloff's Circus”. These works all center on the
D. Harlan
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The “Turbo GT” version of The Complete Accomplice was allegedly written in order to show J.R.R. Tolkein “what a barn looks like on the inside.” Exploding dirigibles immediately leap to mind. Then: electrolytes, pantry-goers, and the villainy of toads. This collection of four parthenogenetic novellas proves that mongrels do in fact possess the capacity to evolve beaks by means of their own dripping volition. Adages fester like the creeds of old men. There are no “discursive furies” swimming ...more
Joey Comeau
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Steve Aylett is one of the most interesting and unique voices writing today, but there are times when I just don't feel up to the task. This is the sort of book that could very well be someone's favourite. The sort of book that could hit someone the way Slaughtermatic and Bigot Hall originally hit me - with the sensation that books could be more exciting than you already thought.

But the complete accomplice left me cold. I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood for it, or - like I said - just
Donald Armfield
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro
A lot of things comes in groups of four like Kit Kat bars, and that's how most watering this quartet is. I had a head start after reading the first installment of Accomplice "Only An Alligator" Then seen this gem all in one. This is a great collection I put "Dummyland" above all but a serious reading phenomenon by Steve Ayllett. A non-stop kick in the face laughter.Bizarro and utterly original at its best.
Chris
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I've never put so much effort into reading a book of so little consequence. This was a steeper climb than the Beerlight books and I didn't find it as rewarding, so I'm left with fewer stars than I had expected. I found the second two books of the set more enjoyable, although that may have just been my acclimation to the world. It's still a refreshing change from everyone else, although I'd recommend Slaughtermatic to someone wanting to dip their toes into Aylett's absurdism.
Tyler
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, sci-fi
Steve Aylett writes like a man who grew up in Burroughs's Interzone reading Borges and watching Marx Brothers movies. The world he imagines is dark, complex, and silly.I have read a fair amount of Aylett now and what i expect from his writing is wonderfully weird ideas and hilarious one-liners, this book delivers on both of those in a big way.
Callum Mackinnon
Peters
Apr 16, 2012
Margaret Mary
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it
hmm---jury is still out i think

• Black Leopard, Red Wolf
  • La realtà non è come ci appare: La struttura elementare delle cose
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #1)
  • The Landscape Photographer's Guide to Photoshop: A Visualization-Driven Workflow
  • Human Acts
  • Frankissstein: A Love Story
  • Die wandernde Erde: Erzählungen
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
Steve Aylett (b. 1967) is a satirical science fiction and slipstream author of several bizarro books. He is renowned for his colorful satire attacking the manipulations of authority, and for having reams of amusing epigrams and non-sequiturs only tangentially related to what little plot the books possess.

Aylett left school at age 17 and worked in a book warehouse, and later in law publishing.

Accomplice (4 books)
  • Only an Alligator (Accomplice, #1)
  • The Velocity Gospel (Accomplice, #2)
  • Dummyland (Accomplice, #3)
  • Karloff's Circus (Accomplice, #4)