Start by marking “How To Meet Cute Boys” as Want to Read:
How To Meet Cute Boys

How To Meet Cute Boys

- This is the first book to be formatted with magazine-style articles and quizzes, which are interspersed throughout the novel. HOW TO MEET CUTE BOYS contains all the content from your favorite periodicals, and also features a special two-color design, lending it the look and feel of a women's magazine.- Titles about single women surviving the urban dating scene are an eno ...more
Published February 28th 2009 by Warner Books (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How To Meet Cute Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Meet Cute Boys

Wallace
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Months ago I had a book recommended to me called How to Meet Cute Boys. It's fiction-- don't worry. It looked cute, so I put it on my to-read list. A few weeks ago, while perusing the audiobooks at my library, I saw it in CD form. Deciding it would be as good a time as any to read it, I went to the desk to check it out. An older gentlemen librarian was waiting to do me the honors, so I placed the book on the counter in front of him. He picked it up, read the title aloud (I started blushing, but ...more
aridewi
Jan 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
It was on sale, so I picked it out of the shelf. Thought it would be a light reading for the weekend. Honestly, I don't expect much from this book.

So now that I officially finish the book, I can assure you that it is definitely not on my favorite list (it is free for giveaway, even, if anybody wants it). It is basically a story about how to meet cute boys - who are jerks. But the girl is dumb anyway, so she deserves it.

Moral lessons:
Don't date younger boys (or any guys) who are not looking fo
Alison
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Perhaps it was because the love interest's name was Max that bugged me. Not that it should... but whatever. I love the whole older woman with a younger guy theme, it's good fun. I hated the quizzes and little articles in between, so annoying. And once again the ending left much to be desired. I guess I'm the person who reads chicklit and likes it everything in the end to be all tied up nicely in a pink satin bow, is that too much to ask for?
Bridget
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was ok
This would have scored higher if it didnt just COMPLETELY END WITH NO RESOLUTION. That has to be my hugest pet peeves with books or movies.

The main character is pretty needy, and hung up on a guy that is 7 years younger than her. I kept waiting for the payoff of her realizing that he was a young jerk and she deserved better, but at the end all I got was her hopping in her car, driving to Las Vegas and back (from LA) and then deciding to ignore voicemails.
Brittany
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
How to Meet Cute Boys is a good book to read when you don't feel like thinking. It's essentially about a woman tries to date someone who, in my opinion, plays her. This isn't a deep book, but it's a fun quick read.
Ayu
May 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-in-my-shelf
Benjamina ‘Ben’ Franklin beranggapan bahwa mendapatkan cowok lebih susah daripada pekerjaannya yang hanya menulis berbagai artikel berupa tips dan cerita pribadinya di majalah gaya hidup, ‘Filly’. Walaupun mempunyai ibu yang pernah menikah tiga kali dan yang saat ini sedang berkencan dengan pria manapun yang bisa dikencani, Ben tetap tidak bisa mendapatkan pria idamannya. Terlebih lagi adiknya Audrey akan menikah, yang artinya akan mendahuluinya terlebih dahulu. Belum lagi sahabatnya Kiki, cewek ...more
Shea
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I would give this a 2.5.

After I was about halfway into the book, I realized I had read it before but just forgot about it (it's probably been a year or two since I read it). I picked it up because I had just finished reading Kizis' other novel, which I enjoyed.

I thought it was a cute idea how Kizis used "magazine articles" throughout the book that the heroine, Ben, had written for the fictional magazine she writes for. The articles were cute and broke the book up some, plus I found them to be
Wendy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Deanna Kizis, West Coast Editor at Elle magazine, delivers a cute and entertaining debut addition to the chic-lit genre. Although the advice and dating policies are not what I'd take to heart, this remains a light, humorous break from the real world.

27-year-old Benjamina Franklin (a.k.a. Ben) is a journalist at a successful woman's magazine, which gives her almost instant access to the hottest parties and social events in L.A. You'd think finding a boyfriend would be easy. Wrong. As Ben continue
Mary Kay
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cheryl
Feb 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I should get a reward for reading this book the whole way through. The concept is fun. A book with traces of a magazine? Cool. I just couldn't get into it. At all.

As an avid fan of closure, I was not satisfied with the ending. I threw the book on the ground when I saw there were no more words. The characters were annoying and unbelievable. It's terrible. The plot was slow. Many things were unnecessary. I face palmed way too many times. I think after a couple pages, I was already bored, but I ke
Arianna
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
The only reason I rated this chick-lit book so high was because a lot of it was my life, in a nutshell. So I identified, and the author made a lot of sense to me. That's all, really. Definitely not the best-written book I've ever read, by far. It was light, fluffy, the usual. But I actually DID like the way the ending left things unresolved: it made it feel more real, and more hopeful, in a way. Especially at this point in my life, I'm not all for lovey-dovey "and they lived happily ever after" ...more
Kerith
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
I can't believe I read this. It's not even really my style. The main character is a writer for a seriously man-hating fashion mag, she's 27 and completely insecure. Everything that happens I've already read in similarly pink-covered but better written books, and the ending just goes poof. There were some funny moments, but the relationships were all unbelievable. I just can't swallow the I-can't-live-without-a-man storyline these days. Aren't we past this?
This one's going to back to the office..
Aug 09, 2011 added it
Shelves: chick-lit
Got this at a library book sale for 50 cents. For that price it was a decent read. Nothing special but an ok easy chick read. But it did just sort of end without any real resolution which is annoying. If I'm going to read chick lit I want it to have a nice neat happy ending, or else a darn good different-style ending to make up for it, and this had neither of those.
Melissa
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book read more like a Cosmo magazine. I have to say, I have never been a fan of those cheesy mags. I was never one of those girls that filled out any of those quiz's on what kind of friend/fruity drink/high heel shoe you are. I always seemed to have better things to do with my time (like reading books). So I guess it comes as no surprise that this book was not really my cup of tea.
Jennifer Prestwich
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Super cute fast read. Expect a light romp through the life of a confused 20- something trying to navigate career, workload, kooky mother, over achieving baby sister, and the dating world. Benjamina doesn't always get things "right", and she may frustrate you with her decisions, but Kizis' deft hand and clever style make this an enjoyable read.
Chelle Newton
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was cute along the lines of Confessions of a Shopaholic. You do finally want to shake the main character and tell her to grow up and get over her schoolgirl crush and move on to a "real" relationship. It's definitely light, fast, and entertaining, but I wouldn't give it more than three stars just because I got tired of her neediness by the time I was about halfway through.
Karen
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Kizis writes in a light-hearted, fun style but the story never really takes off. Ben and her friends seem bright but lack depth of understanding. You think that Ben is finally going to understand her relationship problems... but she doesn't.
Kate
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a fun read, because as a stay-at-home mother of two, this is how I imagine all of my single friends' lives. The main character has an amazing job, great clothes, and fabulous parties to attend every night of the week. What's not to love?
Mary Hawley
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I flinched at the title--a bit over the top even for a fan of rom-coms--and never fell in love with the book. The built-in magazine articles and quizzes were mostly something to skip over, and the protagonist was spinning her wheels in a way that was more frustrating than entertaining.
Devin
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Personally, didn't like the ending, but there was a lot of interesting things going on in the story. The relationship between Ben and Max is VERY relatable!
Ann
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
It's like "Sex in the City" for 20-somethings, but written like it's "Cosmopolitan" (the mag). It's a fun, fast read that I was able to really relate to (during my wild 20s, ha ha).
Tracy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was predictable. The title should have given it away. It was an easy quick read. At the same time easy to forget. Not an original what-so-ever.
bethany
There's nothing wrong with this book, I just got bored with it. I guess I'm not in the mood to read it right now ... maybe I'll pick it up again sometime later.
Melinda
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't appreciate the quizzes every other page.
Emily
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit
This book is 10 years old and is still a witty accurate take on modern dating... except instead of calling, people text now. The observations are still spot on though. It had me giggling.
Rachel
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute book. I liked the writing style and the non-traditional ending- I just have a hard time loving any book where the female main character spends the whole time obsessing about a guy.
Julie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept my interest throughout, but the ending was disappointing.
Stephanie
I read this book in 2003. It was a really fun read and really cute. I would read it again.
Andrea
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
When I started reading this book I didn't realized that I already read it. But I just had to reread it because I didn't remember the ending. The writing is good but I really didn't like the ending.
Sara
Oct 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
I enjoyed this book - because I don't know how to meet cute boys - a good book to just shoot some new ideas out there. A very fast, and light, summer read.
  • Bachelorette #1
  • Suburbanistas
  • Tan Lines
  • Once Upon A Blind Date
  • A Match Made on Madison
Deanna Kizis is a film and television writer.

She was the West Coast Editor of Elle magazine, a contributing editor at Harper's Bazaar, and a reporter at Entertainment Weekly. Her novels "Finishing Touches" and "How to Meet Cute Boys" both received critical acclaim from People (three stars), Us magazine ("hottest summer beach reads"), Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, and Elle ("an impressive debut from o