Start by marking “Web Operations: Keeping the Data on Time” as Want to Read:
Web Operations: Keeping the Data on Time

Web Operations: Keeping the Data on Time

A web application involves many specialists, but it takes people in web ops to ensure that everything works together throughout an application's lifetime. It's the expertise you need when your start-up gets an unexpected spike in web traffic, or when a new feature causes your mature application to fail. In this collection of essays and interviews, web veterans such as Theo ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published June 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Web Operations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Operations

Clarence Bakirtzidis
A great insight into the world of web operations with a collection of essays by a number of authors with real-world experience and learnings from failures. The chapter I thought was the best (probably because I agree with and could relate to a lot of what was said) was Chapter 16. "Agile Infrastructure" by Andrew Clay Shafer. I particularly like this statement "All technology problems are people problems. People are the solution. Every bug, every failure, every outage, every recovery was set in ...more
Andreea Lucau
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Almost each chapter has a different author and that is visible in the style of the book - you have to read each chapter differently. In some places, I find the book a bit too vague. It is full of good practice advice, but you have to already be a professional to understand/resonate with some of them.
I enjoy reading other people's 'war stories' and this book has some of those - these are good ways to find out why 'good practices' make sense.
Michał Szajbe
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The book is divided into several chapters, each one written by different author and covering different topic. Some are really interesting and contain tons of practical knowledge, some are simply rants.

If you work in operations, especially on large-scale system, this book is for you.
Utham
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
bible for (web) operations, in the sense that it gives meaning to what you do and why you do it and what it is all for, in the end when i completed the last page; my heart swelled with pride : I'm WebOps!
Kev
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for any dev who wants to participate in devops.
Jesse
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are new to IT, this book is a MUST.
Philip Hollenback
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I work in the operations group of a very large web property, so I'm the target audience for this book. However, I would recommend it to just about any system administrator, because most of the information in this book is widely applicable to our profession.

This is a collection of essays by different authors, so the quality is a bit uneven. Perhaps it's more accurate to say that some of the topics were just boring to me. No big deal though, just skip to the next chapter.

My favorite essay was prob
Robert Postill
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: operations, computing, web
Lovely collection of essays regarding the evolution of operations practice. Particularly driven by big web properties like Flickr. In common with most essay collections the collection is overall judged by it's weakest members. The good news is that all the essays contained here are good. Some of them are great but all are of a high standard. If you get a chance read the how complex systems fail essay, great adaptation across fields. Many of the essays have stories in them and explain by simply b ...more
Miguel David
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Web Operations is in my top 3 list of tech books. Mandatory read for anyone that works in support of web applications as well as web developers this book covers topics like the recent devops movement, continuous integration, data management from the storage and database (as well as nosql DBS) perspective.
It does not have a line of code, instead it focuses on providing pearls of experience from well respected Ops guys from Flickr, Opscode and others.
Charles Baker
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone working in systems administration and operations in general, not just web operations. The collective experience of the contributors is nearly unprecedented in the industry. The best thing about the book is the emphasis on ways of thinking, planning and working with teams rather than on the tools, although the tools are used to illustrate principles. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Ivan
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Это сборник 17 увесистых статей о технической поддержки web сайтов. Начиная от совсем общих - развитии как специалиста, диагностики и бекапах. Заканчивая тонкостями работы. Особенно понравились главы про реляционные БД, и непрерывную интеграцию. Я бы сказал "мудрая книга", у всех авторов чувствуется огромный опыт.
Greg
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it
This book isn't written for me--I am not a tech guy--but I market to tech people and so I read this book to understand what's important to them. An interesting experience--akin to being an outsider at a cocktail party. But a well-written book and I really enjoyed the discussions of web operations culture (much more than the tech stuff which, naturally, went right over my head).
Matt Lavin
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
If I had the option, I would probably have given this book at 2.5 instead of a 2. Some chapters were really interesting and I learned some new ideas. Other chapters were less interesting and it was harder to keep interested in the book.
Gerard Hovanessyan
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: job-career
I have not read a lot of IT books, covering vast concepts, overviews of general problems, and solving paths. This books offers all that. It covers real problems and offers way of thinking and methodology of approaching the solutions. I really liked it!
Ajitabh Pandey
This is a collection of articles by various experts , so no particular sequence needed to be followed. An excellent book with insights on the world of web operations. Concepts and learnings are applicable to small and large scale operations alike.
Larry Wright
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This covers pretty much everything you need to know about running a large website, from all angles: people, process, and technology. It's a great primer, and it's written by the people behind some of the largest sites around, with plenty of battle scars.
Zach
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Lots of very useful information, although the books editing is spotty and the content is sometimes repetitive.
Gyuri
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Started reading it, and jumped to different parts. Operation is certainly is huge area, this books seems to cover pretty many of what needs to be understood.
Steven Murawski
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devops, sysadmin
Excellent book. There were a number of great topics discussed by practitioners and industry experts from a variety of backgrounds.
Jairo
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book, gives you a wide perspective of webops which does include a lot more than servers.
Martti
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good overview and advice on running web scale operations. Infrastructure as a code, Kanban and shared stories of experienced gurus.
Mike Krus
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
good real world accounts on scaling web sites, nice pointers to tools and best practises.

Fascinating insite in the world of web ops, makes me glad I'm not doing that for a living ;-)
Hector
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Solid book. Has great examples that help bridge the gap between operations and management.
David Robillard
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Clearly an important book for anyone responsible of web operations. It's all there!
Zach
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good user stories of the evolving industry in large scale web deployments.
Humanoit
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: office
Книга уверенно входит в мой ТОП-10 книг 2012 года.
Sweemeng Ng
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is pretty good, covers a lot of ground from experience from many author that actually faces this problem. Many good idea which hopefully I am able to try out. Highly recommended
Middlethought
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Scalable Internet Architectures
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • In Search of Certainty: The Science of Our Information Infrastructure
  • RESTful Web Services Cookbook
  • The Art of Scalability: Scalable Web Architecture, Processes, and Organizations for the Modern Enterprise
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • High Performance Browser Networking
  • Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »