Start by marking “The Leadership of Muhammad” as Want to Read:
The Leadership of Muhammad

The Leadership of Muhammad

Full of fascinating detail of desert life and Bedouin beliefs, The Leadership of Muhammad highlights the leadership skills displayed by Muhammad and allows you to share in his wisdom. John Adair weaves the story of Muhammad's life together with aspects of Bedouin culture, tribal leadership and ancient proverbs, to provide key points for leaders and aspiring leaders.

In Isla
Published August 1st 2010 by Kogan Page (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Leadership of Muhammad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leadership of Muhammad

Start your review of The Leadership of Muhammad
Suad Shamma
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, 2013
I found this book very impressive, and concise. John Adair did a really good job in collating some of the most important points about leadership and using the prophet as a fine example. It was really interesting reading the stories of Muhammad (pbuh) and highlighting all the positive leadership aspects, even more so was the fact that things that applied thousands of years ago still apply today.

A lot of the points made in the book are things that all of us know and should be acting upon, however
Amir Fikri
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a Muslim, I grew up being taught of the perfection of this great man. And always, all the accounts of him, being narrated by Muslims, are naturally very compassionate of him.

However, the author of this book, totally lacked that love of the man. But it's not a bad thing. In fact, it was a refreshing perspective. A perspective that was devoid of love for the Prophet but at the same time, managed to paint the man as THE model of a leader. It only added evidence of the greatness of the prophet.

Al
Shaoola
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A light small book yet a treasurable one that is well and eloquently written...
It sheds light on prophet Mohammad as a leader, a shepherd and above all a human being. It's fun to read and quite informative as you find different quotations from different people from different nations through different eras.
I loved how the writer keeps on including Arabic words as well as Greek ones and others and adds its meaning which adds to the whole context of narration.

"Humble people know their limitations:
Mariam
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I had read the Arabic Translated version of this book.

The book is short and light, however, i don't think the 90% focusing on the leadership of Prophet Muhammad. Sometime, I find the author got the chance to mention other stories that's is not related, yes it is related to leadership concept but not under the leadership of Muhammad.

I thought the book subject should be change to something more generic like The leadership of Muhammad and other Arabs/leaders Maybe.

However, the book is good :)

Zainab
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
An invaluable resource that focuses on how the Prophet Mohammed's (s) upbringing in Bedouin Arabia prepared him to take up the leadership position ordained by God. It goes through his key characteristics demonstrating his capability as a leader, relaying stories and narrations that some Muslims may be less familiar with. I personally found it fascinating. It's a straightforward, short read, written from a non-Muslim, Leadership Studies perspective.
Most facts and narrations are backed up with re
Fitri Khairuddin
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
i love that it shows Muhammad SAW as a perfect role model, not just spiritually but also, in this context, as a leader. there were times that the writes did not focus on Muhammad, which is weird given the title of the book. nevertheless i still like the book.
Atif Ali
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
The book describes critical leadership traits, extracting them from the life of Muhammad (PBUH) .

How Muhammad (PBUH) grew his leadership skills from being a shepherd and a caravan leader . Learning the skills of achieving a task , by unifying the teams and taking care of their individual needs.

I specially enjoyed the reference and backdrop of Arab culture and values like their hospitality , humility , love for camels and horses . The book also left me wonder how the in past the Arabs having the
Malak
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is my second time reading about prophet Muhammad peace be upon him by non Muslim writer.
This book is brilliant! I loved the writer's analysis. Too much thoughts are summarize in an elegant way :)
Definitely recommend reading. It won't be my last book for the writer.
Imran
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspriational

Overall a good learning experience and knowing something different for a person, whose life provides an example for a Muslim in all matters of life.

The topic of 'leadership' appears to get popularity these days. Number of articles are published in various magazines and professional bodies are arranging workshops and seminars on this topic.

Attending one such workshop arranged by ICAP, I got some recommendations for books to read. One being 'The Messenger: The Meanings of the Life of Muhammad' by
Enes Sefer
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A leader is among the people, not over them.

The ship that has two captains will sink.
Yousef
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for leadership. It uses simple examples to explain/show big ideas.
Thehumancoffee
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s an excellent book for leadership.
Aamir Khan
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book with very simple concepts and historical and cultural references.
Khalillaher
It is in Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) role as a Prophet, that we today still can witness what is meant to be a  great leader.
Faisal
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Scattered ideas here and there. The book's title is the Leadership of Muhammad while most of the content is about Bedouins and Arabs.
Eid Ibrahim
Nov 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
the leadership of muhammad is my favorite i really like it
Simon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting even though not the best book on prophetic leadership to my opinion
Raihan
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
I bought this book with a lot of excitement but I was disappointed in the beginning, while reading the first 2-3 chapters I felt that the writer kind of deviated in describing too much about other topics which were not related to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and in some chapters he barely mentioned anything about Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). At the end of every chapter he added some bullet points as 'key points' but I think those were just some quick recaps without any detail analysis. We could see from ...more
Awais Iqbal
"The Leadership of Muhammad" by John Adair focuses mainly on qualities that an ideal leader should have giving references from the Prophet (SAW)'s life. I personally think some of the most important leadership events from the Prophet (SAW)'s life were missing from this book. The decisions he took during crucial times, for instance, the Hudaybiyyah Treaty and the way he united the Arabs in difficult conditions despite the hardships were also not touched.

As mentioned at the beginning by the write
Sohail
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most inspiring part is relating the art of shepherding to the leadership and it's impact on the life of Muhammad (P.B.U.H). Interestingly i had a chance of meeting a person familiar with shepherding while reading the book, i was amazed to know that often sheepherders even have names for each and every sheep and they exactly know the strengths and weakness of every individual. The important lesson for leadership while seeing the bigger picture never forget the individual needs.
I believe that life
Yasmin
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: complete
'' when everything in the world is false'', all what you need; is to read a bout a unique human and leader ''Allah to praise him,Prophet Mohamed''

Either Muslim or Non-Muslim, Prophet Mohamed, teaches us how to be a human and leaders who make difference in others life regardless all our difference. his Leadership style was unique.

Unfortunately, very few people in Muslim world who really follow his leadership paradigm and his great way of thinking. he was not just a leader for a civilization, but
Adil Hussain
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had high expectations for this book after listening to a talk by the speaker introducing it and after receiving recommendations from friends who had read it before me. Reading it, however, I couldn't help feel a little disappointed. It's a small book (this I knew before I bought it) and, even then, the mention of Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) and his examples of leadership are few and far between. Each chapter (there are eight) takes one concept of leadership exemplified by Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ), elabor ...more
Adeem AlHassan
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I've always wanted to read these books by non Muslim authors about our beloved Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him and see where they stand & what they have to say. I didn't like this book in particular for several reasons. For starters, he did not talk a lot about the life of the prophet, most of the stories were very shortened that they lost their beauty. But generally speaking,it was a good book. The author focused on some traits and stories concerning leadership. I don't know which star to ch ...more
Syaza
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed how concise the book is; the key highlights at the end of every chapter help recap its intent. It isn't a holistic view of Muhammad's leadership but key insights as to how the Prophet led the ummah. It would be a good read for those who are looking for an overview of why the Prophet remains as a role model throughout time.
Amaal  Khatatbeh
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book is a biography of research in the concept of leadership in the life of the Prophet.The book discusses the leadership in the life of the Prophet but to prove The world the truth about the nature of leadership and its applications.

for Arabic Readers :
انصح بقراءة المقال النقدي البحثي عن الكتاب و ما يتعلق بتخريخ الاحاديث الوارده في الكتاب و صحة المصادر

Nawaf Basindwa
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
a must read book. Since, I always encourage my self to to look at things from different views, here how a western non-muslim guy look at the greatest man prophet Mohammad, peace upon him, as the best Leader in history.
Hamzah Asmall
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A model of empathetic leadership the world needs right now

Recommend this book for all those who find themselves leading teams. Light reading yet profound. Relevant for muslim and non muslim.
Halah
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book is highly recommended ;)
Khawlah91
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Should be called The Leadership of beduien and Arab leaders with some stories of the prophet. Including a chapter on camels.
Mohamed
Amazing Book, STRONGLY recommended

• The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
  • Bir Ömür Nasıl Yaşanır?
  • Industrial Megaprojects: Concepts, Strategies, and Practices for Success
  • Μιλώντας στην κόρη μου για την οικονομία
  • The Crusades Through Arab Eyes
  • Al-Kafi, Volume 1 of 8: English Translation
  • The Uncommon Reader
  • Kitâb-ı Aşk
  • Şah & Sultan
  • Feast of Souls (The Magister Trilogy, #1)