Start by marking “Reinventing Government: How the Entrepreneurial Spirit is Transforming the Public Sector (Plume)” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
VERY-GOOD TRADE-PAPERBACK
Published February 1st 1993 by Plume (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Reinventing Government, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reinventing Government

Zach Houck
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book, written over 20 years ago should be brought back to the forefront of everyone's mind. Upon reading it I wanted to buy several copies of this book to handout at headquarters.
Robert
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first and best account of how people scattered around the country were remaking government in America to be innovative, entrepreneurial, and effective. (Full disclosure: its account of my work at the Pentagon led to my getting hired by Al Gore to lead his effort to reinvent the entire Executive Branch--which work is still incomplete).

An all-time favorite
Nedland P.
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
We need more privatization.
Andrew
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read for a political science class in college - so probably a little dated now - but had some interesting ideas at the time.
Simon
Mar 14, 2009 rated it liked it
My good friend from the Humphrey Institute gave this to me. A number of Minnesota people were involved in the book. A good book for changing government. It answers the "I hate big government" crowd by saying that we should get the right amount of government and it should work. It did seem a little too perfect at times though.
André
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of an Advanced Human Resource Management course I completed while at Ryerson.

The book was published at a time when government policies and administration were driven by the neo-con agenda. I don't believe that much if what was written in this book would be applicable now.
Joe
Sep 08, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction, dnf
I read a lot of this for a college course and it is interesting enough, that I may finish it one day. It is pretty one sided. Ok, it is completely one sided. Apparently there is no downside to introducing market forces into government services. But it happens all the time with some success and some problems. Osborne and Gaebler give several well presented examples of success.
Fran
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Fran by: Dr. Edna A. Co
Note to self: A recommended reading for PA 201 (Theory and Practice of Public Administration)under Dr. Edna A. Co of the UP NCPAG, 2nd Semester 1999-2000
Gerry
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Nt filled with western promise.
Tariq A
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, إدارة
رائع.
Texas Renaissance
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best discussion I've ever seen on the role and function of government.
Viecha
Shelves: fff
its good
Christine
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Worth a read, though pretty one-sided
Jim
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Read it to see if I could understand the reinventing government idea that Clinton and Gore were pushing. Still don't but I tried.
Karen
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
It's a lovely idea for local government, but isn't practical on a national scale.
Elissa
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Really good book for people in local government work. A little dated, but still quite relevant. And VERY easy-to-read!
Sam
rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Introducing Public Administration
  • Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement
  • Public Administration: Understanding Management, Politics, and Law in the Public Sector
  • What Good Are the Arts?
  • Liberty and Freedom: A Visual History of America's Founding Ideals
  • Public Finance
  • Images of Organization
  • Nationalism and Culture
  • Losing America: Confronting a Reckless and Arrogant Presidency
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Hierarchy in the Forest: The Evolution of Egalitarian Behavior