Start by marking “The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)

The Clue in the Diary

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #7)

Nancy uses a lost diary to exonerate an innocent prisoner.

Published July 15th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about The Clue in the Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clue in the Diary

Sheri
The Clue in the Diary is a decent mystery but not one of my favorites from the series. As an adult reading this my first thought was “Oh boy! You really have to suspend disbelief with this one!” Our brilliant Nancy casually knows a bit of Swedish -- and not just to hear it and recognize Swedish words, but she can recognize written Swedish. It was a little too much to believe from even Nancy, who only picked up a few words from a former schoolmate.

As a child I probably found this story exotic an
Jaksen
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At last, book number 7 in the series and Ned Nickerson appears! (Nancy Drew's boyfriend who finally and bravely is written into the series.)

This mystery is fairly standard, like a paint-by-numbers book on how to write a mystery for twelve-year old girls born in the 1930s. Nancy comes upon a burning house, witnesses a man fleeing from it, does some 'sleuthing' and finds both a signet ring and diary near the house, but then she can't get away from the property due to all the fire trucks AND dozens
vic (indefinite hiatus)
i didn't expect much from this. as a child, i only read 'nancy drew and the clue crew' which is more the elementary grade of level of this series. this was a bit more mature in the nature of the crimes that nancy is trying to solve like fires instead of things like stolen shoes, snowmen missing, etc. but despite the way these crimes were structured, there wasn't much from this book. the wording seemed extremely elementary even though i would usually put this as a middle grade book. a lot of this ...more
Melinda
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to point out that I read every Nancy Drew I could get my hands on back in the late 70s. I was about 10 years old. They were consistently interesting, with cool facts about geography, science, and history. They were not too scary or gory; they always ended well. Nancy had a steady boyfriend and two best female friends; she could drive and, though she didn't have a mother, had a loving mother-figure in her life, without the messiness of a stepmother or a parental divorce. At the time I atta ...more
Sheila
Typical Nancy Drew, though is seems as though Nancy might have found herself a boyfriend in this one, if this Ned guy sticks around to help her with more mysteries! This girl has all the luck too! I mean, what are the odds that she would be driving by a remote house at the very second it is blown up by a bomb, and what are the odds that she would find the diary that leads to solving the mystery of who done it? Okay, okay, I know, that is what makes these stories Nancy Drew mysteries. But doesn't ...more
Whitney
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
Oh boy here comes Ned Nickerson. Here's good boy Ned Niskerwhiskers. Here he is Fred Nienermeiser. He telephones Nancy five times a day, and he eagerly agrees when she tells him to drive old ladies around on their errands. He's gonna be yet another character getting underfoot during investigations.

The mystery in this book: Nancy sees a house explode. Of course she rushes directly toward it. Upon arrival she sees a man dive into the bushes and escape. He leaves behind Sweedish-looking things: a s
Lindsey
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spent many summers growing up reading and rereading nancy Drew and always loved these books! I picked up one at the library the other day feeling very nostalgic. The book was every bit as delightful and engaging as I remember! I picked the clue in the diary vaguely remembering it was one of my favorites and soon realized it's the book where we meet Ned--no wonder it was a favorite! I just love nancy. I wish I had "chums" and ate "luncheon" and drove a roadster and could pull off a beret....ah, ...more
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 4

In Depth

Best Part:
It was short
Worst Part: The ending was like scooby doo.
Thoughts Had: Bore, next!

Concl
Alex
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
'Say,' said Ned, 'I have a notion to start a diary of my own!'
'Why don’t you?' Nancy asked lightly.
She became conscious that Ned’s eyes were looking straight at her. 'I will if I can fill most of the pages with entries of dates with you.'
Hahahahaha! Oh, Ned... I don't know if I should be impressed with your forwardness or roll my eyes out of cheesy embarrassment.
Debalina
A shitty week has to be compensated by a Nancy Drew. This arrangement goes well together. :D

I had probably read all these titles before, but had almost forgotten. Feels like I am reliving my childhood by re-reading them.

Happy reading! :)
Brittney
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Clue in the Diary by Carolyn Keene is the seventh book in the Nancy Drew mystery stories trilogy. While Nancy and her friends, George and Bess, are returning from a carnival, they witness an explosion in a beautiful mansion. Hoping that no one is in the blazing building, they run to the rescue and unexpectedly figure out that they are confronted in a mystery. As their interesting day goes on, Nancy finds a couple artifacts knowing that it is connected to the mystery. Finding these artifacts ...more
Karol
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while I'll return to books that intrigued me as a young reader. I'm participating in a group that has a "Nancy Drew" challenge in 2019. While the challenge allows us to choose books by other authors with specific themes, I thought it would be fun to read at least a few of the original Nancy Drew books for the challenge. I only read one or two "back in the day" but always wanted to read more. Now is my chance!

I have to admit I really did get a kick out of reading The Clue in the D
C-shaw
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No. 7 in the series. It was pretty entertaining. My pet peeve with Carolyn Keene is how often she referred to Nancy as "the young sleuth." Here is the count for this book:
"young sleuth" = 6 times
"young detective" = 4 times
"girl detective" = 3 times
All those in only 174 pages!
Anna
This one was okay. Nothing extra-specially interesting mystery-wise, but nothing I felt like I had to slog through. An average entry.

BUT this is the book where Nancy meets Ned!! I always assumed he was a built-in boyfriend like Bess and George are introduced as built-in friends; I was super excited to read about this random guy they meet who introduces himself as Ned Nickerson, and it was a total meet-cute as Nancy is not 100% certain he is not trying to steal her car at the time. Gotta love it.
C.
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "Nancy Drew" suite is a wildly-ranging melting pot. I appreciate its refusal to depend on crime. Readers mistake "mystery" as a synonym for "crime fiction". Authors forget the immense array of scenarios they can create, without 'a body'! I commend and appreciate that it most often creates 'mystery for the sake of mystery'. Riddles, attics, hidden passageways.... these are why there is a melting pot of numerous flavours.

One disadvantage, is that many titles work out to be superior. This one f
Darcy Stewart
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I really liked this book. Wow she really takes down the criminal. Too bad the owner of the diary had to go jail for a while. At the beginning I was very suspicious of him. Towards the middle of the book I realized he wasn't. I'm so glad Ned Nickerson came into the picture. It's quite funny when he moves Nancy's car. Ned was very helpful to Nancy. It's interesting how all of the mysteries tie into one. I like how George and Bess are in this one. I like Nancy's too best friends. I love how George ...more
Veronica
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
This is the 1932 edition! I didn't even know the Nancy Drew books had been changed so much. The language is much more poetic and precise, charming, interesting! Words like "indolent" and "laden" and "to divine her unspoken thoughts"

I read the more recent edition and it has some things added for more details, but I prefer the better vocabulary in this older edition and I am having my eight year old look up some of the words.

I am up reading it to be able to explain the words and talk to her about
Michelle
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So happy to learn that Nancy Drew stands the test of time. Loved, loved her as a kid in the 70's. And what's not to love...she drives a smart convertible, has great friends/cousins, is smart, brave, daring. In this book we meet Nancy's boyfriend, Ned Nickerson. The story moves along nicely although a bit too quickly at times. Much is left for the reader to imagine, in a nice way. Now if only I could persuade my daughter to read the series!
Golden
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't resist picking this up in a book sale the other day.

This was the first Nancy Drew I read as a girl, I found it lying around my Grandparents house in Marshfield; a cast off of an older cousin or Aunt.

It was everything I remember plus with my aging has taken on a new level of hilarity. As an added bonus, this is the one where she meets Ned Nickerson (who is a slightly creepy stalker type).
Lisa Vegan
Jul 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young girls 8-11 who enjoy mysteries
I read every single Nancy Drew available, and this one, I suspect mostly because the title intrigued us, was the most eagerly awaited and passed around book of the series, among my friends ages 9-10. The Nancy Drew books were the second mystery series I ever read; the first was the Bobbsey Twins.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great Nancy Drew story. In this one she uses a diary to try and free a prisoner wrongfully accused.
Mikayla
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew, mystry
Still one of my favorite Nancy Drews. Could have done with a little les teasing from Nancy friends, but it was good.
Linda Klinedinst
I really enjoyed this book. Some of it was funny. Nancy Drew Mysteries are the best books to read. I highly recommend the Nancy Drew Mystery Series. You can still buy the books from Amazon. I have the first 23 Books now in the Nancy Drew Mystery Series. I buy one or two per month. I have read the first 7 Books now in the Nancy Drew Mystery Series.

Give This Book 5/5 Stars.

Happy Reading
Dakota
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book series is really great each book is very similar mystery,action, and adventure but each book is also different in it's own way. That's why I like this series and the book itself it doesn't fit a cookie cutter mold per say it brings its own style to the table. I am excited to continue to read the series. Sure this book in particular might not be on my to read list exactly but it is about enjoying what you read as well as getting into the habit of reading.
Raegan Angela Jones
Very exciting!
Anita
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Nancy Drew. Published in 1962. I read this as part of a book challenge for the year to find a book to reread from my childhood. This was a fun afternoon read, nothing too complicated. A little suspense, happy ending for the good guys and where most people are honest and uncomplicated.
Tabi34
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
Nancy Drew finds a Clue in a Diary - unfortunately the diary is written in Swedish and the person she knows who can translate it is so sick he's hospitalized but this doesn't deter Nancy.
A quick synopsis -Nancy and her friends George and Bess, meet a woman with a little girl at a carnival who are financially desperate. On the way home they spot a fire, while George and Bess drive to a neighbor's house, Nancy runs up to the house and tries to rescue anyone who might be trapped. Instead she sees
Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)
Okay, so Nancy finds a diary during a house fire and believes there could be a clue in it to find the arsonist. (hence, the title) while leaving the scene, her car is in an accident and meets Ned Nickerson -- Yay! He falls head-over heals in disgusting puppy love and will do anything to help solve the case. As in every Nancy Drew book she has a charity case, The Swensons, whose father/husband has gone on the job hunt and not sending money! Of course this sends Nancy on another case --Yippee and ...more
Melissa Namba
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-lucy
I've decided to get one of my nieces hooked on Nancy Drew and the other one on the Hardy Boys. I will send her the books out of order, but, to my recollection, you don't really have to read them in order. This book is the one where Ned Nickerson is introduced. He is every bit the loyal boyfriend that I remember him being. As a kid reading these, I didn't think about how necessary George and Bess were to help offset the primness of Nancy. She would be really boring without them. Kind of like that ...more
Jessica
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites. Especially with the introduction of Ned Nickerson. This is the first "book on tape" I've "read". It was... Interesting. Laura Linney was narrating, and I love her, but when she did the accents for the Swansons, who are Swedish, they sounded like Stephen Hawking with a slight brogue... Entertaining, but, I like the voice I have in my own head when I read a book I guess.

This is another one I am revisiting. I am an avid Nancy Drew fan, and read all of the series starting with
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
OKRL Teen SRP 2019 Review 1 1 Jun 06, 2019 07:51AM

• The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Hidden Harbor Mystery (Hardy Boys, #14)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #11)