Start by marking “Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity” as Want to Read:

Use eye-popping visual tools to energize your people!

Just as social networking has reclaimed the Internet for human interactivity and co-creation, the visual meetings movement is reclaiming creativity, productivity, and playful exchange for serious work in groups.

Visual Meetings explains how anyone can implement powerful visual tools, and how these tools are being/>Visual
Published August 9th 2010 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Visual Meetings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visual Meetings

Start your review of Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
Blog on Books
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In “Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes and Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity,” (Wiley) author and business consultant David Sibbet, explains, in quite lucid terms, the advantages of utilizing the new language of visual thinking particularly in the group setting for the creation and communication of ideas, plans and programs designed for ease of use and maximum comprehension.

Sibbet begins by explaining the advantages of visual thinking, the tools involved, the lan
Pdxd
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise about how to apply the theory however I felt that that The Back of the Napkin: Expand Edition was much better at concisely describing how to use visual tools to collaborate on problems.

To be honest I think a lot of the value was more looking at the sidebar graphics and notes.

It's trying to be an exhaustive resource but at some point it lost its clarity along the way.
Drew
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the art.
Helped our company use visuals with more confidence.
Helpful for anyone in sales.
Celine
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Started out very strong and then lost a bit of momentum. Overall a great read though that inspired me to make changes in how I work and present my work.
Ashish Anand
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read which helps us understand why humans connect easily by means of pictures.
Stringy
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
The best praise I can give this book is that I kept putting it down so I could sketch out my plans and ideas on how to apply its techniques to the meetings I have scheduled over the next month.

I like Sibbet's use of storytelling to present his case studies. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea. But even though I usually glaze over these sorts of "one time when I was at Company XYZ..." stories I found his very interesting and applicable to my own experience. He's concise without le
Manuel Frias
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: visualization
I must admit that I had no idea what graphic facilitation or graphic recording was before reading this book. Nor I knew there were people who do this for a living!

The idea is good: how to make meetings more memorable, how to learn more from them and how to engage people. Things that are actually lacking in many meetings.

I liked the clear and simple structure of the book. There is, however, maybe to much description on each technique. But that is probably the whole idea - a descripti
Isadora Wagner
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Eminently scannable and flip-thru-able. A good desk reference for those rare spare moments between assignments at work, over lunch at the desk, or in anticipation of an upcoming facilitation event or brainstorming meeting. The book delivers a powerful message, simplicity in pictures, and actually speeds up communication, collaboration, and process mapping skills. I would think it would be useful to teachers, scientists, and anyone who ever has to stand up in front of a white board with a marker ...more
Lori Gravley
Love the Large Group Reflections template. Four essential questions targeting deisre, presesnt status, process questions, and brainsortming solutions.

The discussions of presentations without PowerPoints is spot on PP is a push model--pushing information out to learners instead of pulling them into the process.

The chapter on Training and Workshops provided some key ideas for using the methods in training: flip chart agendas for activities, murals for information, and the What Worked/I Wish idea
Tina
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having witnessed David Sibbet at a meeting, I must say that he is incredible to watch. We walked into a room with blank walls, during our meeting our ideas started to take shape before our eyes and at the end of the meeting the energy was so positive. So different from past meetings, I'd pay extra for meetings like this all the time.

I know I'm not a person who can lead graphic meetings like this, it is an art, however, I'd gladly attend them and pay for them.

Stephen
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ DEC 2010

Easy read on how to create engaging meetings using visuals. Best quotes, "humans need to answer the social, emotional questions about working with other people before we can completely focus on the thinking and other work involved" (Kindle ref. # 1553) and "If a group has not experienced the need to change, they won't" (Kindle ref. # 4393).
Victoria
A quick read because, as the name implies, it has lots of graphics & visuals. If you need some inspiration to get away from the hypnotic powerpoint meeting doldrums, this book offers options. A bit overboard for my taste, but I appreciate the creative reasoning and practical examples.

And he likes sticky notes. Yay.
Juan Castro
This is a too-long book for the content it delivers. After reading The Back of the Napking, this book isn't that helpful at all. If you're 100% new to meetings and graphic modeling of ideas, then this book might help you in some way, otherwise I think it doesn't worth the time.
gramakri
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lots of interesting ideas but too much of self-promotion. Felt like I was reading a long and dry brochure of the author's company. OK for people who have never been exposed to the concept of Visual Meeting but the rest can look elsewhere.
Minh
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a very useful guidebook in organising team meeting and presenting ideas.
I will recommend to every supervisor/middle-managers for running his/her team next meeting with excitements and joys.
Daniel
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Changed the way that I view meetings and both personal and group productivity. Extremely practical and insightful, and the author doesn't skimp on the graphics that he preaches, making this a fairly easy read.
Hongbo Shi
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice tricks to try in next meeting, like the template to create additional thinking and engagements. Now I can connect dots of the techniques used in ice training-affinity diagrams,dot voting,
Kathie
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
How can I not like this book, this is what I do. And you don't have to be artistically gifted to use it, he teaches great little tricks for drawing that any graphically-challenged person can learn.
Frederic Vandaele
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice Use cases that express the core ideas.
Discuss about various techniques using e.g. sitcky notes, templates and dot voting
Clare
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great toolkit for livening up meetings
Stefan
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Super dargestellt leider sehr klein geschrieben ...
Peter
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: facilitation
Good reference book for facilitators who want to add graphics to their skills and tools of facilitation
Ellen
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Veldig nyttig og inspirerende!
Ed van der Winden
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Unlike The Back of the Napkin by Dan Roam this book does NOT practice what it preaches. In my opinion this is a major sin for a book about visual methods.
Shima Ghaheri
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
باشد که در روزگار مدیریت owow خوانده شود
Daniel
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: visualization
A great reference to someone who wants to facilitate visual meetings and to lead visual thinking into teams.
Rachel Coyne
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this whole series - enormously helpful
Fred Rose
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: problem-solving
"Nice book on practical techniques for meeting facilitation. Mostly a reference, skimming sort of book."
Katharina
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the bulletpoint tipps, but it didn't draw me in nor keep my attention. I prefer Dan Roams books by far!
Lì Đào
Mar 10, 2018

• Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Rapid Viz : A New Method for the Rapid Visualization of Ideas
  • Rapid Problem Solving With Post-it Notes
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Open Space Technology: A User's Guide
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations that Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
  • Glimmer: How Design Can Transform Your Life, and Maybe Even the World
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • The Business Analyst's Handbook
“Paper is brain interface. Paul Saffo” 1 likes
“I began experimenting with visualizing the rising sun coming up in people’s chests as I talked with them. It began to transform my listening.” 0 likes