Start by marking “Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1

Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1 (Zettai Kareshi #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  31,430 Ratings  ·  443 Reviews
Shy high school student Riko Izawa aches for a boyfriend but guys just won't look her way. Then one day she signs up for a three-day trial of a mysterious "lover figurine," and the next thing she knows, a cute naked guy is delivered to her doorstep--and he wants to be her boyfriend!

Has Riko died and gone to heaven? The cute naked guy turns out to be smart, super nice, styl

Published February 7th 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Samantha If you download the Manga Reader app, and search for it's name, it should come up.

Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga

HI-LAR-I-OUS. Finished it in one day, it was that good.

Okay, so warning; it does have nudity, but nothing is ever shown. (besides bras and underwear, and some...skin.)

Both of the love interests in this book were definitely swoon-worthy.

Soshi; Riiko's friend and smexy glasses boy! Who irritates the living daylights out of Riiko (and she does the same, if not more, to him) but secretly cares for her.

Night: The 'mail order Night Lover', who is basically the perfect boy. Protective, adorable, ho
Nancy
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The first volume in Absolute Boyfriend is tons of fun. High schooler Riiko is sick of being rejected by other men, so when a strange man gives her a card for a special website where she can buy a robotic boyfriend, she figures there's no harm in signing up for the free trial. Unfortunately, things get complicated fast. Absolute boyfriend is an over-the-top romantic comedy series filled with laughs, slapstick, and a touch of romance and drama. I'm eagerly looking forward to continuing this incred ...more
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
This review is for the series, volumes 1-6.

This is a story about a girl who orders a robot. A hot robot who is absolutely devoted to her. I've never been a fan of Yuu Watase's art, but the appeal of this story speaks for itself, right?

For the most part this was enjoyable. However, it suffered from some over-the-top mean girl action. The girls bullied Riiko horribly because they wanted Night for themselves. I do not like that! Girls don't turn into rabid beasts just because they like a guy!

Anothe
Kathryn
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OH. MY. FREAKING. GOD.
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3.....
Okay, I originally planned to fill up an entire screen with hearts, but I'm impatient, it's eleven o'clock at night, and I've been swimming all freaking day so I can't bring myself to take the time or effort to do so.
Instead....
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE TTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR
Mariℓina
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
So Riiko wants to finally find a boyfriend, but after too many rejections she had enough and decides to do something more drastic. The solution to her problem will come out of a box!

When she will find a cell phone on her way home, everything will change for her. She returns it to the owner and he will help her find exactly what she wants..:D

THOUGHTS ABOUT THE BOOK

- Riiko is funny and impulsive.
- Quick read! Nice overall.
- Hilarious and fresh with fairly decent artwork.
- The whole robot idea was
Rachel
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolute boyfriend is about a high school girl – Riiko – who falls into a situation that involves having a robot boyfriend. She was chosen to help the robot – Night – gain information about how to please women in order for his type to act more human. When Night wakes up, all he wants to do is please her, not caring how *wink wink*. After freaking out (What high school girl wouldn't?) she gives him lessons on reactions, emotions, and how to live a daily life.

Riiko is extremely lovable. She's witt
Chinasa Izeogu
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Riiko Izawa is an awkward freshman that desperately wants a boyfriend. She finds it difficult to move on after getting shutdown by her crush Ishizeki. She crosses paths with a weird salesman selling products for Kronos Heaven. As a reward for returning his phone that she found, he gives her a business card to that directs her to visit a site where she can mail order a boyfriend for a 3-day trial period. She adds special features to make him the ideal boyfriend and he is delivered the next day. A ...more
Hud-c
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, romance, shoujo
One of my first manga read, venturing in the shojo genre. Although, I have seen shojo animes before. Like Ceres & Fushigi Yuugi which are both written by Yuu Watase herself. Imagine that - I never really care about mangakas when it comes to this genre and then I found out I'm actually reading/watching lots of works from the same author.

Absolute Boyfriend Vol. 1 is a romantic comedy series. This manga used almost every teenage fantasy as a theme- having the perfect boyfriend. I envied Riiko
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Shojo fans, Manga fans, Anime fans, J-drama fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Fushigi Yugii
This volume starts off with Chapter 1: The Guardian Returns.

I'll write more when my editing mode hits.
Happy Readings!
Fly my Pretties! Fly!
Holly Letson
Riiko Izawa always considered herself inferior to other girls. She believed there must be something wrong with her. That's the only reason she could ever come up with for no guy ever wanting to be her boyfriend. And, all Riiko really wants is a boyfriend of her own. A boyfriend would make Riiko's life truly complete.

Sometimes, we more than we ever could have wished for.

Riiko confesses to the popular guy she's crushing on, Ishizeki, and he turns her down in a way that seems like he (almost) kn
Natalia
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mika is such a *insert stream of curses here*
Joyzi
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Suckers of Shoujo
Recommended to Joyzi by: Recyl
If you want a love story that is heart breaking, funny, unique and memorable. Read this!
Butterfly Mentions
Too many details, not for youngsters :P So you can mostly see only the contents by reading the spoilers.

It is a Japanese manga by the wonderful Yuu Watase <3<3<3 One of my favourite mangaka.

English edition

Plot: Riiko Izawa, the main ch
Natalie
Lex Mori
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had read the synopsis of this manga and decided I HAD to read it. I was lucky enough to find it at a closing Borders at a discount so I didn't feel so bad about purchasing something I hadn't a clue about. After reading it, I can honestly say, I would have gladly paid full price.
We follow the story of Riiko Izawa, who has never had much luck with men. She has very few friends and often seen as the awkward girl with little to no sex appeal. One day, she meets a salesman who tries to get her to b
Kristy Buzbee
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I avoided this series at first, because I'm not a fan of Yuu Watase. I got it off Manga Takeout because I found out there's going to be a new drama based on it starring Hiro Mizushima. XD

I really loved it! I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. If you were turned off by Fushigi Yugi, you should still give this a shot. (At least, that's what I say after reading vol. 1. Hopefully future volumes are still this good!)
Dylan Riuzaki
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't read a lot of manga but when I do, it's by Yuu Watase.
This is probably one of my favorite mangas ever! It's so funny and also captures what some people DREAM about! (Who doesn't want the perfect boyfriend/girlfriend?) I reread this book about 3-5 times a year because for one, it's a quick read, and two, because I fricking love this book. THIS WILL FOREVER BE ON MY BOOKSHELF
booknerd_dork
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mangas
I finished it in a day. It was cute and funny. Riiko is funny and both Night and Soushi are sweet! I like them both even though Night is a robot and is cool!
Sarah Lafleur
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Decided to pick this up and reread it. Super funny and cute.
Michelle. D.
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lauren
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
When you want a boyfriend none are around, that is just how Riiko feels. On the path of desperation she signs up for a free trial for a robotic boyfriend. What can go wrong right? Nope, wrong! Riiko receives the extravagant Night, a hot and sexy man that only wants to please her.

Seriously this is one of the best manga I have ever read! It is filled with romance and comedy and enjoyable characters. I fell in love with every aspect of this series right from the beginning. There is an interesting l
Meepelous
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
While I had seen this manga around for a while, I honestly was just too uncomfortable with the cover art. I'm still not one hundred percent sold on the cover art, considering all the talk about the representation of women in comics I can appreciate the bizarre flipping of roles it feels slightly hypocritical to say anything less. That said, it was certainly an interesting think piece considering how rare it is (from a western perspective anyway) to see such a submissive and dedicated man. On the ...more
Nadine
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Während scheinbar alle um sie herum sich verlieben und nur noch im Doppelpack auftauchen, hat Riko einen Crush auf einen Jungen, der nichts von ihr wissen will. Durch Zufall wird ihr ein Angebot gemacht, einen künstlichen Freund zu kaufen. 72 Stunden Rückgaberecht... also bestellt sie ihn zur Probe ;-).
Dieser perfekte Junge muss sich zwar erst daran gewöhnen, dass Riko ihn nicht als Sexpuppe benutzen will und seine Bemühungen schießen manchmal etwas über das Ziel hinaus, aber schon bald erkennt
Cam Garza
Oh my God!
This was sure something, hilarious as hell, fluffy as stuffed pandas and unicorns, swoon worthy love interests like you can't imagine, sci-fi combined with love and humor in one manga.
Seriously awesome manga read.
I'll say, this is what? my first, second? manga. I'm not specially a anime fan, yeah, I've watched some series, but I've never really gotten into it, so you can imagine my surprise when I found out I loved this and finished the six volumes in one day. Yup, addicting stuff we
Leanne Crabtree
3.5 stars.

Initially I had a little trouble getting into the story but the more I read, the more I liked it. The storyline was a little crazy but I've grown to like Night. He really is being the Absolute Boyfriend.

To me, it's obvious that the next door neighbour likes our girl, but she's being a bit oblivious at the minute.

And then that last page! Her "friend" of all people!

It has definitely made me intrigued enough to carry on the series. It's only in 6 parts so I wouldn't think it would take me
Megan M
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Didn't think I would enjoy this nearly as much as I did. I thought this manga would be very generic and the premise sounded silly, but I found the characters to be really entertaining. This isn't something revolutionary, but there are enough hijinks (I especially liked the frequent appearances of the our friendly salesman!) and cute boys to make requesting additional volumes for some light weekend reading worthwhile.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Riika has been turned down too many times...and wishes for the ideal boyfriend. Enter a stranger with an offer - that she can have just what she wants, only he won't quite be human.

Humorous, at times touching and even sad, this series is a whole lot of fun. But then anything by Yuu Watase is bound to be fun!
Kathleen
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been a Yuu Watase fan for a long time now. I like the way she incorporates humor to lighten the plot when the mood gets too heavy. The art tends towards a realistic style, especially in facial expressions and clothing, which I appreciate. This is a solid romance, with a girl who's not sure of her own feelings yet!
Cassandra Booth
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok do let me tell u this manga stuff takes me 30 minutes to read. So I am a YouTube sims fan and watch sim series on YouTube and there was one based of this series called perfect boyfriend by bluewhitecherry! So I was in the library returning things and stumbled upon this book! And I love it so! Thought the robot in this one takes it's clothes off more and is a little more human.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, series, swon2016, teen
A great start, and a fascinating premise...

Another series I'm grateful that Goodreads suggested to me. And I didn't realize that I was already familiar with this author/illustrator! I loved, loved, loved Alice 19th and Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play, so it's no surprise this series is excellent as well.
Shoujo Manga Book...: Absolute Boyfriend Discussion 4 13 Jun 24, 2018 04:05PM
absolute boyfriend 13 89 Nov 13, 2014 06:52PM
The Random World ...: Absolute Boyfriend - December 6 22 May 01, 2013 06:11AM
  • Otomen, Vol. 1 (Otomen, #1)
  • Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, Vol. 4 (Hana-Kimi: For You in Full Blossom, #4)
  • Dramacon, Vol. 1
  • The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 2
  • Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1
  • B.O.D.Y., Vol. 1
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 1
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 1 (MeruPuri, #1)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 1 (The Wallflower, #1)
  • Mars, Volume 03
A Japanse shoujo manga-ka. She is known for her works Fushigi Yūgi, Alice 19th, Ceres: The Celestial Legend, Fushigi Yūgi Genbu Kaiden and Absolute Boyfriend. She likes all music, except heavy metal and old traditional music.

She received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Since writing her debut short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), Wata
More about Yuu Watase

Zettai Kareshi (6 books)
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 2
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 3
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 4
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 5
  • Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 6

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)