Start by marking “Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)

Murder with Reservations (A Dead-End Job Mystery #6)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
The sixth installment of Elaine Viets's Dead-End Job saga -- which features lovable protagonist Helen Hawthorne, a successful career woman on the run from an irate ex-husband and an unfair legal system -- puts the hardworking heroine in her newest minimum wage job: a hotel maid.

Sybil's Full Moon Hotel in Fort Lauderdale seems like the perfect
Published May 6th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Murder with Reservations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder with Reservations

Chelsea
Judy Averitt
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all these books & characters. They are like old friends now.
Jan
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll never drink from a motel room coffee maker again...
Cheryl
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book in the dead-end job series. While it is good as a stand alone, it would be much better read in order. In this book Helen is working as a maid in a hotel that has several murders. She is still hiding out from her ex-husband and he has turned up in town looking for her.
Ellen
Loved every page, December 11, 2011
By Ellen Rappaport
This review is from: Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mysteries) (Hardcover)
All I can say is this was great. Yes...the best one in this series. It will definitely keep me coming back for more dead end books. Elaine Viets definitely cares and respects her readers.

This time Helen has a job cleaning rooms at the Full Moon Hotel and it isn't exactly a pleasant way to earn a living. Helen gets along with her co-workers and her boss is act
Vickie
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love having cozy mysteries on Mt Git'r'Read's shelves. They are perfect purse book size, they cheer me up, and they are fast reads. Towards the end of the month, I want to squeeze just one more book on my monthly book journal. This one fit the bill wonderfully.
Helen Hawthorne is still on the run from her loser deadbeat ex-husband. He was the one who didn't work and philandered around while she worked her heinie off and stayed true. She caught him in the act with their neighbor (6 books ago) a
Jim Leffert
If Barbara Ehrenreich and Sara Paretsky were to collaborate on a mystery series, the result might be Elaine Viets’ Dead End Job series. The protagonist is a woman living in Florida under an assumed name, Helen Hawthorne, trying to elude her ex-husband, who wants (and is legally entitled to) her money. Helen, supports herself and stays under the radar by working a series of low-paying dead end jobs, each one the subject of a mystery novel. In this volume of the series, Helen is working as a house ...more
Barb Radmore
Since her ex-husband was given half her pay check and she refuses to give him a penny, Helen Hawthorne is forced to live a life on the run. Far from her high paying executive job she is now working as a chambermaid. She is hoping to stay hidden there, relying on her friends to maintain her secret. But her ex does locate her, actually checking into the hotel at which she works. Helen must dodge and hide from him again. But the murder of a fellow chambermaid, a hidden stash of money from a bank ro ...more
Lyn
When Helen catches her husband having sex with her next door neighbor she wants to kill him, but she restrains herself and kills his SUV instead. After all she paid for it. The divorce court judge doesn't see it that way. Since Rob hadn't worked for years he is considered a house husband and the judge awards him half of Helen's salary as alimony. Rather than pay, Helen goes on the lam to Florida where she works low-paying jobs, being paid off the books so Rob and the cops can't find her.

Helen's
Amy
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series.. Each book is a new job setting for Helen, who is trying to work one "dead end" job after another to avoid the wrath of a contempt citation and judgment from a St. Louis court in favor of her ex-husband. I don't want to spoil the plot so you'll have to read for your self who appears in this book and how it may change the direction of the entire series.. Helen's character continues to develop as each job she takes demands more and more of her--body, mind and spirit. It ...more
Amy
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the dead end job series. Again, there are more than one mystery to solve. Obviously it's hard to go into detail without spoiling the story but I will say that Marjorie has yet again top yourself in her attempts to help Helen. And of course we see Phil again who is just as wonderful in this book as he has been in previous ones. It was kind of nice to see the tension between Helen and Phil just because seeing relationship perfection in books all of the time can get a little b ...more
Leslie Todd
May 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-mystery
This series just keeps getting better. Murder with Reservation's has Viets' trademark humor, with a just slightly harder edge than in past series books.

Helen's peril is more immediate in this book since her ex, Rob, is actually tracking her down. He checks into the very hotel where Helen is employed as a maid. Helen has to worry about her ex, the police, and the murderer.

One of the best things about this book is that Helen's character seems more developed and we see how caring she can be, part
Gail
Aug 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is the sixth in as series known as "Dead-end Joy Mystery." It's a funny series with some very nicely drawn characters, both interesting and endearing. Helen is on the run from her ex-husband, after being ordered to pay half her salary to her philandering, deadbeat ex-husband, she took off to South Florida where she works under the radar in low-paying, cash-only, off-the-books jobs. She has an annoying habit of turning up dead bodies.
In this one she works for a hotel as a maid. Being a maid
Karen
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this book I kind of liked; other parts were just ridiculous.

Apparently the author has worked as a hotel maid. The "laundry list" of disgusting things at a hotel might be enough to make you want to cancel your next hotel reservation. At least that part of the book was well-researched.

The premise of the series: An educated business woman choosing to work at low-paying jobs to avoid paying her husband of seventeen years alimony is quite a bit of a stretch. I've worked in law. Family law,
Kristen
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-cozy, 1-09
Helen Hawthorne was back in the 6th installment of the Dead-End Job series from Elaine Viets. This time around, she worked at Sybil's Full Moon Hotel. While she tried to stay under the radar from the past, it became harder this time around. She found a dead maid in a Dumpster. To make matters worse, her ex-husband was hot on her trail after all these years. When the police didn't care much about the maid's murder, they rather focus their attention on her own shady past. If she avoided their inte ...more
VJ
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Elaine Viets shows once again that this is humor done right. Full of irony, laugh out loud moments, plot twists, and just enough characters that you have plenty of suspects but don't generally get them confused.

My this book, I'm completely rooting for Rob (her cheating, lying, skeeve of an ex-husband) to just bite the dust. This poor girl needs some relief!

My only complaint, yet again, is the insertion of one minor supporting character with a potty mouth. Teens can be sullen and disrespectful w
Deborah Boerema
I liked the fact that, unlike many cozies, the main character didn't feel compelled to chase suspects and overstep police to solve the crime. She didn't constantly make foolish decisions and put herself in harm's way. The mystery just kind of unfolded in front of her. I also enjoyed the surprise twist ending.

That said, I'm not sure I'll be reading other books from this series. I never really developed any affection for or connection to the main character. I don't care for many of the life choice
Wanda
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like the book. the first few chapters I thought were laugh out loud funny. I will say that as I was reading the book and trying to pick up on the clues, I thought I knew how the book would end. Turns out, I was wrong. It's always nice to read a book with a "surprised" ending. The author did her research on the hotel business. I will think twice about staying in a hotel room. Overall, it was a good book and one that kept my interest and wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen n ...more
Jessica
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I didn't find the main character's motivations so nonsensical. Admittedly, I haven't read the rest of the series... but when she kept complaining about her ex-husband and how she didn't trust the court system etc, I just wanted slap some sense into her. It's not like she was on the run from a wife beater, which would have made sense.

The mystery itself was ok. I figured out who the killer was on the first page they appeared, which isn't great for a
Jenifer
This was a fun book. I am sort of interested in the series, but probably won't take the time to go back to the beginning. It was fun to read something that I had never even heard of before. The biggest complaint I have is that it felt a little overdone at times as far as the hotel business goes. I almost felt like the author was working from a "laundry list" (ha) of all the bad stuff that happens in a hotel. Good thing; I liked the supporting characters.
Virginia Aikens
This series continues to be clever and entertaining. This is a great beach read/summer vacation murder mystery with interesting side characters and a convoluted plot that is neatly wrapped up. I wouldn't recommend starting this series with this book, but it can stand on its own. Elaine Viets continues to write a good story.
Emily
It's a great beach read book. Despite dealing with murder and stalking, it's fairly light and moves at a quick pace. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely pick up her books again for a vacation read.
It's not a book that has a lot of depth or meat to it.
If you're looking for a mindless escape, this is it. The characters are lively, colorful, and well written.
Patti Ashley
A quirky read

On the run to keep from paying her ex-husband his divorce settlement the FH goes on the run and takes menial jobs to hide out. An extreme response, but entertaining for us. The horrors of hotel cleaning and customer service will have you cringing or laughing out loud.
Stephanie Bailey
I REALLY enjoyed this book. It's one of those fun vacation books. You read it when you want to escape. I also liked all the twists. IT has some funny moments and I'm glad it ended the way it did. However, I did feel it was missing something in the end, especially for character Peggy. I guess I'm a romantic at heart. But I really hoped for a happy ending for her.
Linda
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Probably the best one in the series yet. Great thing is you could read it without reading the others ( more fun if you do however). The author always gives you enough information so you understand the background. Looking forward to reading the next one!
C
Jul 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sucked. Empty characters with ridiculous plot. A woman is on the run from her ex husband who is trying to track her down for alimony and is working as a hotel room cleaner in Florida. She finds a couple of dead bodies and solves two of the murders and finds a lost treasure. Lame.
Mary Z : )
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Oh, I think I have a new favorite author! Elaine Viets writes about jobs with accuracy. I read this book after a 10-day stay in various hotels. I could absolutely see her real life experience contributing to her storytelling. Excellent!
Jenny
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Ann R
Shelves: mystery
This is another book in the Dead-End Job mystery series. In this read, Helen Hawthorne is working as a maid in a Fort Lauderdale, FL hotel and is once again finding dead bodies. She eventually helps clean up the killers and other assorted crimes. A quick and entertaining read!
Julie_ian_curtis
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
March 2012
23 june 2013
2 Feb 2016
this is one of my favourite dead end job mysteries. i love the insight into what hotel maids have to put up with, Helen and her co-workers work so hard, it's a crappy, physically demanding, low wage job.
Gwen
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, nice change of pace and a few surprising twists. How much do revenge, love and hate drive our lives? How far would we go, when confronted (or chased) by someone we once loved, and now don't?
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Grave Apparel (Crime of Fashion, #5)
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
  • Killer Crab Cakes (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #4)
  • Mama Rides Shotgun (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #2)
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • The Fright of the Iguana (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #5)
  • A Real Basket Case (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #1)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Statue of Limitations (Den of Antiquity, #11)
  • Motherhood Is Murder
  • How to Crash a Killer Bash (Party Planning, #2)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu
More about Elaine Viets...

A Dead-End Job Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2)
  • Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3)
  • Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Unleashed (Dead-End Job Mystery, #5)
  • Clubbed to Death (Dead-End Job Mystery, #7)
  • Killer Cuts (Dead-End Job Mystery, #8)
  • Half-Price Homicide (Dead-End Job Mystery, #9)
  • Pumped for Murder (Dead-End Job Mystery, #10)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)