Start by marking “Limelight Larry” as Want to Read:
Limelight Larry

Limelight Larry

Limelight Larry is delighted when he finds an empty book - he can be the star of the story! Then a whole host of storybook characters arrive and Larry, much to his outrage, is pushed out of the limelight.
Published September 1st 2010 by Orchard (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Limelight Larry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Limelight Larry

Matt
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Limelight Larry is all about the spotlight. When he decides to play the starring role in this book, he is upset when others push their way onto the page. Things get so bad that Larry cannot extend his peacock plumage to show off. It is only when he sees just how much fun a whole gang can be that Larry changes his tune. Neo laughed to see Larry pitch such a fit, but did not like the idea of him getting all the focus in this book. Sharing is better, he tells me!
Hannah Elsayed
Limelight Larry is a great book. This would be a fanatastic read in the classroom with an important message of sharing. Larry wants the book to be all about him however, as you turn each page a new character wants to be in the book. This is a great idea as it can make the reader really feel as thouhg they're seeing the book come to life. Towards the end of the book Larry kicks everyone out of the book because it was supposed to be all about him, so everyone leaves. This soon makes Larry realise ...more
Sophie Moran
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well illustrated book that teaches children that it’s not always about being centre of attention!
Lydia Duncalfe
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some laugh out loud moments!
Maggie
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
"Limelight Larry" delivers a great message of sharing. I loved the illustrations, but the pages were very full, which could be distracting or overwhelming to some children. The book also uses the word, "nitwits," which some parents may disapprove of.
Colby Sharp
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
This book was just too busy for me.
Brittany
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
The entire time I was reading this aloud I kept thinking to myself that it reminded me ALOT of another book. I can't remember which book, but it is definitely similar! The pages were just WAY TOO BUSY for my liking. The displaced text, text in different fonts, and text in different sizes just makes you want to retype everything to be concise. Ok (yet already done before) story.
Katrina
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Found this on a blog recommending storytime books. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I found it. But I agree with them, it would make a good readaloud, if you can do all the voices. (I'm not quite there yet) Enjoyed how it introduced different elements of storytelling and simple foreshadowing. The different fonts were enough to emphasize new words, but not be overwhelming. Large clear art.
Naomi Forrest
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
My son and I enjoyed this. Larry believes he should be the star of the book but when he gets his wish and all the animals leave, will he be happy?

It was a lot of fun I loved the colours and humour of the book. A bit busy but we enjoyed it!
BrookesEducationLibrary
Kelly
Limelight Larry is a peacock who wants to be the highlight of the book. But the other animals want in on the action too. This is an incredibly fun book!
Kirsten Vega
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Neurotic in all the right ways.
Pam
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Larry learns a valuable lesson about sharing the story with others. It's not a lot of fun to be the star on your own.
Leslie
Animals and their opinions on books and storytelling begin appearing, much to Larry’s surprise and dismay–isn’t this book supposed to be about him?! What are they doing there? They need to leave. Pages are becoming cramped with other characters and activities, “The page is completely cluttered, and Larry’s lovely feathers are starting to get all crimpled and crumpled.” Worse, he is being forced to compete. What to do but reassert his presence?

‘Course, where does that leave him? Alone
Mark
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adults
This book is wonderful. The main character is Limelight Larry, a peacock who is looking forward to having a whole book to himself. When Larry spots the first creature shows up right after him, he eyed it suspiciously and asks, "What do you want, Mouse?" He goes on. "This is a book all about me, not you. There is no room for you on that page. Look! You're making it all messy!" Not unexpectedly, the pages are soon crowded with attention-seeking animals—such as Wolf, who has brought his own "old-fa ...more
Katie
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wish I had written this bright, luscious, witty children's book. Hodgkinson writes in a Mo Willems-esque colloquial style, except the slang is all Australian, and she hand letters much of the text to sit alongside her explosive, foily, fabulous illustrations. The story is one of those meta-narratives where the book is comprised of the main character (the flamboyant attention ham Limelight Larry, in this case) trying to get the other characters off the page so he can please get on with his stor ...more
Carly Reighard
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This picture book is about Larry, a peacock who is excited to be featured in his own book. He knows the book will be fantastic because what book about himself wouldn't be? Larry is the bee's knees and is super excited for all the fame and future books that this big break will bring him. Yet, when the other forest animals decide that they want a part in the spotlight, Larry knows that he must find a way to win it all back.

Very reminiscent of Pigeon (the Mo Willems character), Larry wi
Library Quine
We all know that peacocks like to show off right? Well, Limelight Larry is no exception, and this book is all about him (or so he thinks). However when all his cute animal friends make appearances in HIS book, Larry's share of the limelight is reduced, and HE IS NOT HAPPY about it. However, he discovers that you can't show off without an audience and learns an important lesson about sharing and all ends well. The story is written in all sorts of wacky type which makes it more difficult for new r ...more
Julia
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This is one big-headed peacock. He's writing a book about himself, and sees absolutely no room for any of his friends and neighbors. Of course, they all want just a small part in the book. By the time Mouse, Bird, Elephant, Wolf, Bear, and some rabbits appear on the pages, Larry blows up. He unkindly orders everyone out of his book! And then he shows off his peacock-ness in a two-page spread. But there's no one to enjoy it. And the forest is really a bit too scary by himself. So Larry screams "h ...more
Kristi Bernard
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larry the peacock is starring in his very own book. And trust me when I tell you he doesn't mind letting you know it's his book. When mouse appears he wants to be in the book too. Of course, Larry informs him he can not allow it. But when bird, elephant and wolf pop onto the pages with their suggestions, Larry becomes very irritated. Bear and others show up and turn Larry's book into their very own picnic. As Larry attempts to reclaim his pages he will find that perhaps it's better to share than ...more
Destinee Sutton
In this meta-picture book, Larry is a peacock who wants to have the book all to himself. Of course, many different animals appear and ruffle Larry's feathers, but there's a fantastic spread where Larry reclaims the spotlight (the pages shine!). But like the Little One in the song "Ten in the Bed," when Larry finally has the book to himself, he's lonely. Lesson learned, Limelight Larry.

This definitely has the appeal of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. I'm excited to bust it out at story time.
Janelle
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as one of my Post Modern books. This is now one of my new favorites! It is so fun and hysterical, I was laughing out loud! This book is about Larry the Peacock and how the book is supposed to be all about him, yet several other characters keep being introduced on a new page, trying to get in his story. He gets angry and frustrated, but in the end, it comes about that he decides to share his book! Kids will love this funny story line and colorful artwork to match. I would use thi ...more
Darshana Khiani
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a hilarious book about a showy peacock and a bunch of animals that "intrude" on his story. Larry realizes by the end, what is a story without friends.

I think this book is good for slightly older kids as the text in the book is colorful, different sized fonts, and simply all over the place. I think younger kids would have a hard time reading the words, I even had a bit of trouble following the flow.
Christina
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
A narrator talks directly to the audience, introducing Limelight Larry, a peacock who wants the book to be only about himself. When Limelight Larry does get all of the "limelight" he finds himself alone. There's lots of humor in this book, and the illustrations are nicely textured. Tongue-in-cheek comments abound. Kids will love when the peacock shows off in a 2 page spread with a foil stamped illustration.

Curriculum: this book that can be used to talk about sharing and friendship.
Mary
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Limelight Larry, a self-centered peacock, is dismayed to find other characters on the pages of his book. He finally gets his chance to shine, but realizes it's much more fun to show off with others around. Kids will get a kick out of Larry and the other animals (especially the little bird who shows off his various talents throughout the book).
Justine
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Per our normal routine, we grabbed this book from the display shelf, and it was a great choice! Larry is a peacock who wants to steal the show, but by the end of the book he realizes it's better to have friends than get all the attention. The message reminds me of another favorite of ours, The Rainbow Fish: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/76...
Paula
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated and great typography accompany this wonderful story that takes a whole different direction than Larry wants
A peacock called Limelight Larry wants to be the star of the book named for him. But soon other animals are cluttering the pages. When the star finally has his moment in the spotlight, what has happened to all his friends?
jessica wilson
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-reads
I really like the illustrations in Limelight Larry but found the overall look and design of the book too busy for a read aloud to children. so not that I thought it was bad, not at all. I simply choose not to use it with the kiddos.
Carly
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Fun to read out loud with a good message at the end. This peacock has some serious attitude and I was reminded of the Pigeon who stars in many of Mo Willems books. Loved the illustrations and different fonts too. Bonus: my kids liked it too.
Paul
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Larry is begging for attention while the star of this show is really the typeface menagerie that populates this book; even the text is slightly offset to be off kilter and right on target. As for conveying the theme of sharing space and attention with those around you, meh.

• Penguin's Hidden Talent
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella, #1)
  • Another Brother
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • Bugs Galore
  • Being Frank
  • Look! Another Book!
  • Slightly Invisible (Charlie & Lola)
  • Gideon
  • Hugs from Pearl
  • The Very Greedy Bee
  • Over at the Castle
  • Spots in a Box
  • Ike's Incredible Ink
  • King Hugo's Huge Ego
  • Marshall Armstrong Is New to Our School
Leigh is the author and illustrator of Goldilocks and Just the One Bear and illustrator of the Magical Mix-Ups series.

Leigh is an award-winning animator and worked as art director on the BAFTA-award winning animated series, Charlie and Lola.

She is also an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator, who is absolutely passionate about writing, making things up and d