Start by marking “The Boys from Brazil” as Want to Read:
The Boys from Brazil

The Boys from Brazil

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  27,631 Ratings  ·  568 Reviews
The man in white put his brandy snifter aside. 'Let's get down to business now, boys.' Tipping his head, he lowered his glasses and looked at the men. They faced him attentively, cigars poised. Silence took the room. 'You know what you're going to do, ' the man in white said. 'Ninety-four men have to die on or near certain dates in the next two and a half years... Their de ...more
Audio Cassette, 9 pages
Published December 25th 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 1976)

Jean
Who are The Boys From Brazil? And can there really be a Nazi plot to implement the "Fourth Reich"?

"Two factors are necessary for a resurgence of Nazism ... a worsening of social conditions till they approximate those of the early thirties and the emergence of a Hitler-like leader."
- Yakov Liebermann, "The Boys From Brazil."

Ira Levin was a great writer of "What if?" novels and plays, ten of which have been turned into the sort of films which have the audience gripping the sides of their seats. B
Carol
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine read from Ira Levin...........

After reading and loving A Kiss Before Dying, I've decided to read all of this author's novels, and my second one, The Boys From Brazil did not disappoint. Not having seen the film adaptation, the unusual plot was a complete surprise for me.

The intrigue begins with a top secret meeting in a Japanese restaurant to initiate a killer of a mysterious project by 'the comrade organization'. The important operation assigns six hitmen to dispose of 94 elderly c

Mara
"Holy sh*tsnacks! Krieger's one of the boys from Brazil!"
Yes, once again I find myself reading a book as a result of an Archer reference (see also Bartleby The Scrivener ). The premise (of the book, not of Archer) is that down in South America, the fugitive Dr. Mengele is sending out six men to kill 94 civil servants on precise dates in nine countries.

Renowned Nazi-hunter, Yakov Liebermann receives a mysterious phone call from a twenty-something American boy who went down Brazil to inve
Jul 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
When I was in Hebrew school, the teacher had us listen to the first chapter on audiobook, and promised to let us hear the rest. When he realized that the book had dialog such as "Fucking bitch, I'd like to cut her tits off," he reconsidered his plans.
David
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, audiobook
Despite the age of this novel (40 years), it is still a great thriller. It is a masterful mystery, where bit by bit, Nazi hunter Ezra Lieberman unlocks a set of clues. He gradually pieces together the details of a terrible conspiracy to kill 94 men, all about 65 years old, around the world. The conspiracy involves Nazis from World War II, who have escaped to South America. There they are led by the incredibly evil Josef Mengele, who seeks to bring back a fourth Reich.

This novel held me in its gr
Carac Allison
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"The Boys from Brazil" was one of those paperbacks that found its way into the ever growing collection of book boxes I moved from residence to my parent's home back to residence back to my parent's and then to my first bachelor apartment. But I didn't read it until I was married and living in my first real adult domicile. I woke up sick on a weekeday and called into work. I went back to bed but after my wife left I felt like I could sit up and read. I opened "The Boys from Brazil" and read it fr
Angus McKeogh
So definitely better than just okay, but not so riveting that it was exceptional. The storyline was really rather engaging and prescient. But at times the plotting just involved two characters talking about unveiling the mystery of the storyline and was therefore kind of stale on the action end of things. Overall a solid read and I'd recommend it.
Troy
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My one-phrase rundown: a dated but well-penned and addictive tale of suspense

I read this book for two reasons: one, it was escapism conveniently located in the ‘free paperback’ bin at the library, and secondly as a minor nod to my father. My dad had a bookshelf brimming with cold-war and spy novels, and I vaguely remember him telling me about the plot of the book when I was a kid.

Associating it with my father probably places me in the last generation which can connect with the book, involving as
Simon
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People say "don't judge a book by it's cover" but when a cover has a swastika on it, I'm like a moth to a flame. Short version: It's the 1970s and a bunch of Nazis who have been in hiding in Brazil decide the time has come to initiate a plan to start up the Fourth Reich and finally achieve Aryan supremacy. So to Europe they head. Meanwhile, a Nazi Hunter is still looking for them. Now.... honestly.... how can you say 'no' to that?

The Boys From Brazil is a brilliant yarn and has nice twists and t
Nu-Jahat-Jabin
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
মোটামুটি ভালই টানটান রুদধশবাস থরিলার। বইটা হাতে নিয়েছিলাম মূলত এঞজেল অফ ডেথ এর কথা পড়ে। নাৎসি বিভৎসতা ঠিক কতটা ভয়াবহ ছিল তার খুব ভাল উদাহরন এঞজেল অফ ডেথ ডকটর মযাঙগলে। মানুষের উপরে বিশেষত শিশুদের উপরে করা তার একসপেরিমেনট এর দুই একটা উদাহরন শুনলে অনেকেই রাতে ঠিক মত ঘুমাতে পারবেন না।
নাৎসিরা হেরে যাবার পর অনেকের বিচার হয়েছে আবার অনেকেই পালিয়ে গিয়ে নতুন পরিচয়ে মানুষের মাঝে মিশে গিয়েছে। এঞজেল অফ ডেথ তাদেরই একজন। এইটুকু ঐতিহাসিক সতয।
এই সতযটুকু দিয়ে লেখক বেশ উততেজনাপূরণ থরিলার লিখেছেন। যেখানে আছে এঞজেল
Caro M.
This book was about this:
description

Just kidding, not really... But it had swastikas involved, I swear, and their asses got kicked. And it was well written and kind of scary, an improvisation on subject "What if?...". If you want to know what if what - go read it for yourself. Ira Levin is never disappointing when it comes to speculative fiction.
Perry
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: circle
Nazi Hunter Hounds Angel of Death
"Four hundred thousand more to die
Angel of Death,
Monarch to the kingdom of the dead,
Sadistic surgeon of demise..."
Slayer, Angel of Death, 1986.

This thriller is set in 1974 as the fictional Ezra Lieberman, a Nazi hunter based loosely on Simon Wiesenthal, is contacted by a U.S. reporter on the beat in Brazil who just heard of a plan by Josef Mengele, the infamous "Angel of Death," to activate ODESSA (former SS members on the loose in South America) in order to ki
Checkman
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thrillers
Recommended to Checkman by: the movie version
Austin Reams
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy smoke! This book was awesome!
Elliott
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris
Very enjoyable fast-paced classic 1970s thriller. No objections to this one, at all. When looking through my collection for something in this genre, I first chose Marathon Man. That was a bad choice! This one is great, there are no offending stereotypes, just really, really bad Nazis.
the gift
much later later addition: i have now read this twice- over a gap of decades, so who knows how many books. i seem to recall something about usual american bestsellers having the average vocabulary of an 8th grade reader, and this is certainly the case here (i might have been in 7th grade). for poetics i might give this lower marks, but language is not important only to be simple, ordinary, accessible, to give the reader into the plot with minimal distraction...

the other reason i would give it lo
J. Rosemary Moss
This book had me on the edge of my seat; it's worth suspending disbelief for. The cat-and-mouse game between Josef Mengele and a Nazi hunter, mixed with a sci-fi plot about nature versus nurture, makes for a fast, absorbing read.

If you're not familiar with Josef Mengele, read up on him before you begin. The book only hints at what a butcher this "Angel of Death" was. (Knowing he was still alive and at large in South America when this book came out gave me pause while reading it.)

My one complaint
Gordon Houghton
It's a mark of Levin's skill as a writer that he can make (with hindsight) one of the most ludicrous plots I've ever come across into a convincing, gripping narrative. Every character is beautifully drawn, with scarcely a hint of caricature; even the Nazis rise above the pulp fiction status they're normally afforded in literature. I won't give the story away, because it does have some neat twists; but it's basically entertaining nonsense, outstripped both by events (what actually happened to Men ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Surreal and disturbing, The Boys from Brazil, written by the author of Rosemary's Baby, is an unforgettable book with an original storyline.
Thom
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fast read, close to a screen play. This is one of many books I have read recently that have also been made into movies or miniseries. Many I haven't seen.

This is also the first book by Ira Levin that I have read, and look forward to reading more. I went into it with just the short blurb, though I wasn't surprised by the bombshell roughly halfway through. With that mystery solved, action wound down towards the conclusion. I liked the details, the characters, and the pace. There was a little too m
Javier Núñez
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Para entender lo sobrecogedor que resulta el argumento de esta novela es necesario fijarse en la fecha en que se publicó. En 1975, la idea que plantea Ira debió convertir esta historia en una novela de terror. Y no es para menos. Intensa y bien escrita, ha merecido mucho la pena leerla.
Rhonda
☆☆☆☆This review contains spoilers☆☆☆☆

The Boys From Brazil is a phenomenal film from the early eighties, and now to find the movie is based on a book by the notable author Ira Levin surprised me immensely.
Before launching myself into the horror I knew would be ahead of me, I contemplated on the quality of the storyteller, would I feel saddened by the inferiority of the book compared to the film or would I believe the book was at least equal or superior to the adaptation?
The film, starring Gregory
Brian
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* So long had it been since the first and only other time I read this book that I had forgotten virtually everything about it, didn't even remember what the title should have told me to begin with. And toward the end of it, I was getting worried that a plot so grandiose was winding down toward a very small confrontation between a couple of old men. I shouldn't have worried. Levin isn't that kind of writer. The climax is a beautiful piece of work, suspenseful and frighteningly revelatory: by this ...more
Eileen
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2011, thriller
The first time I read this book was for my final oral exams English at High-school. Then I thought that the writer had an extremely vivid imagination to come up with a story like this. What did I know then about clones and genetic research? Not much. It was fun to read it again after many years. Because now it's not fantasy anymore, it could be reality and that makes it even more scary.

Although this is not my favorite book by Ira Levin, I think he did a great job. Anyway I love all his books eve
Wreade1872
Another fine Levin story, its a pity they're so good that you can't avoid knowing the plot before you read it. Like Stepford Wives though this doesn't entirely spoil the story.
Levin is just great at painting a scene so you can picture it all. He's also great at the little odd details that make such a difference to stories. Right from the start, a group of germans meet up in brazil, at a japanese restaurant. Why a JAPANESE restaurant of all places? It's a great little detail and there are so many
Lesley
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, suspense
This is one of the most chilling books I have ever read. With the cutting-edge scientific theme (for when it was written in 1976), this really could be called a technothriller.

The book begins with a secret meeting in Brazil, in the 1970s, by Nazis who have survived and are planning the Fourth Reich. They are led by Dr. Joseph Mengele (a real historical person), who conducted many experiments on concentration camp prisoners in World War II. The group's plan is to kill 94 civil servants, scattered
Ryan Greer
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boys from Brazil is gripping, well written, and cleverly constructed. It's basically like reading a better version of the Da Vinci Code but without Tom Hanks floating through your mind as the characters interact.

Not a typical read for me at all, but still really fun. Levin has a really sneaky way of presenting information that really makes you feel as though you're deciphering the mysteries right along with Liebermann.

A great travel book or vacation read, you'll finish it far too quickly.
Angela
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, crapola!! Seriously! This story was going along so well and I was really into it, when all of a sudden it just ended. WTF?!! Cheapskate Ira Levin couldn't come up with a satisfying ending.

Anyway, I would have given this four stars but for the ending. The rating would have been mostly for the way it held my interest rather than for any literary merit.
Goodreads Librari...: Add missing cover 2 20 Mar 21, 2015 08:24AM
  • Marathon Man
  • Six Days of the Condor
  • The Eiger Sanction (Jonathan Hemlock, #1)
  • The Manchurian Candidate (Movie Tie-In Edition)
  • The Odessa File
  • Fail-Safe
  • Cape Fear
  • The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2)
  • QB VII
  • The Ipcress File (Secret File, #1)
  • The Salzburg Connection
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • The Gemini Contenders
  • Ice Station Zebra
  • Looking for Mr. Goodbar
  • Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1)
  • The Deep
  • Black Sunday
Levin graduated from the Horace Mann School and New York University, where he majored in philosophy and English.

After college, he wrote training films and scripts for television.

Levin's first produced play was No Time for Sergeants (adapted from Mac Hyman's novel), a comedy about a hillbilly drafted into the United States Air Force that launched the career of Andy Griffith. The play was turned int
More about Ira Levin...
“philosophers have warned us: if we forget the past, we are doomed to repeat it.” 5 likes
“They were confident and cunning. They weren't mucking around looking for nuclear weapon secret sloppy seconds in America. They could care less about America. They were busy with the whole world domination thing.” 4 likes