Start by marking “The Word Brain: A Short Guide to Fast Language Learning” as Want to Read:
The Word Brain: A Short Guide to Fast Language Learning

The Word Brain: A Short Guide to Fast Language Learning

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
How long does it take to learn another language? How many words do we need to learn? Are languages within the reach of everybody? Which teachers would we choose and which teachers should we avoid? These are some of the questions you ask yourself when you start learning a new language. The Word Brain provides the answers.
Published June 12th 2010 by Flying Publisher

To ask other readers questions about The Word Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word Brain

earthy
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Intriguing look at how we learn language. I'm not sure the author's incredibly intense schedule for language learning is practical for all (any?), but there's something reassuring about knowing that language acquisition is all about time and dedication, not necessarily inherent talent. It's also nice to know you're not completely incapable of learning a new language just because you're no longer a child or a student with access to an intensive language course!

I think what interested me most (asi
♥Xeni♥
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A super helpful guide on how best to learn a language! I read this short book in just under two hours, with breaks for digging up my Latin and Hungarian notes and listening to some of the CDs that came with the books. ;)

I have always been frustrated with learning new languages: first Spanish in school, then German when living there and now mainly Latin, although the uniqueness that is Hungarian deserves it's own respect.

I'm glad to finally have someone straight up point out to me that what is
Ian
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent short primer to any language. The author encourages realistic expectations - relating learning results to inputs and life style choices. Recommended for ALL young people.
Jack
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
As with any book of this type, how well you enjoy it and what you take away will depend on your own individual style and preferences.

I appreciated the realistic take on learning and the time and dedication it takes, rather than offering "secrets" to learn a language in hours/days/# months. It's always better to overestimate the time it will take than to hold onto unrealistic expectations and give up down the line in exasperation.

However, I disagree with the author's belief in starting a new lang
Jameel Hijazeen
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jameel by: None
Great book but few more details and references would have been great. I am impressed by the number of languages that the author learnt (six modern languages + latin) or knew their grammar (ten) [p. 9-10]. I do not understand fully what made him learn all these number of languages. At least, I could not understand how someone could benefit from that. The tips and tricks that he speaks about are great. The full book contains 77 pages and I think that investing less than three hours in reading it i ...more
Patarapol Withayasakpunt
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book offers a realistic view of how long to learn a language and what it takes; from a person who have learnt 20 languages already. This book is a recommendation; although I wouldn't say you shouldn't find a faster shortcut.

As for me, I have long failed to master the 3rd language (Japanese) I have tried to study for a long time, and I know the pain. This book is hope. I don't even know how I manage to master my second language, English, though.
Nafis Faizi
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is one book I would recommend anyone to read if s/he is interested in learning any new language in the near or even distant future. It is probably the only book that helps quantify the period needed to learn a new language. Easily a book that can and should be read in a sitting.
Nergis
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
For word brain, reading is paradise.
Tom
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. Also see the audio version from the website.
Khansa Thamir
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A really interesting and practical guide for people who want to learn new languages. The writer himself learned more than 4 languages & reflected his experience in this book.
Srab.alal
" A guide that clarify many things, especially for who wants to learn a new language."
Liznemeth
Feb 19, 2011
Vladimir Boronenko
Mar 31, 2016
Jacek Wachowiak
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2011