Start by marking “Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  554 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
With such groundbreaking bestsellers as Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom and The Wisdom of Menopause , Dr. Christiane Northrup is one of today’s most trusted and visionary medical experts. Now she presents her most profound and revolutionary approach to women’s health. . . . The mother-daughter relationship sets the stage for our state of health and well-being for our entire ...more
Published March 28th 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mother-Daughter Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother-Daughter Wisdom

Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource book, full of information and resources. Definitely an important woman's guide to health. I think that if I had gotten this book when my daughter was younger, I may not have had to worry so much. I love the whole person approach that Dr. Northrup presents. I went to the bookstore to buy Northrup's book on menopause, then saw this book and bought it also. I read it first and found sections enlightening, definitely applicable to my current daily existence. I am now anxious ...more
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
I do not own a copy of this book but I would really like one! This is a great book about raising children. The author is very honest about what has happened to her, her friends, and her patients, and she is not afraid to give her opinion. However, she stricks me as a liberal so if you're not into that this would not be a good book for you. I on the other hard agree with a lot of her opinions and find it nice to have a resource like this to turn to.
Annagrace K.
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this book! Don't let the title deceive you--whether or not you have daughters or any children at all (or even wish to) this book has incredible insight into the complicated and complex relationships of mothers and daughters. And each of us females is someone's daughter. The information on genetic, health, and emotional legacies is really, really good. This is one of the few books that I can truly say has changed my life.
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: skimmed-it
I bought this book a while ago but never really got into it. I put it in my "sell to Powell's" bag but then I picked it up and read a chapter. Woah! It was the perfect reading for my Mother-Daughter group. The book is now at my bedside.
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Mer
abridged audiobook
as a 51 year old, this was like a review of being female, and for that I did enjoy it. this process also helped with being the mother of a teenaged daughter - the reason Mer referred it!
worth the time.
Edwin mateo
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
well this book is a very beutiful book. it teaches a lot of things about spychology and science. I did love it because it is a really enlightening and practical book. Christane Northrup did a great job. I am not a mother but a father and I did love learning about the mother-daughter bond.
I read it a couple months ago already and the thing I still remember the most is the fact that mothers that give birth naturaly without a C cession create a much stronger bond with their children, and that is so
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Still working on this big baby. Very good information on emotional connections between mothers and their children. It's not fully mother-daughter stuff... much of the information can be applied to sons as well. Lots of information on diet, stress, sex, and other life issues. The author uses a mixture of eastern and western medicine and tends to diagnose through a mixture of western science and phsychology. The information here is fresh, well researched and well presented. Just a very long read!
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vaccines
I appreciate how much I learned in this book. Notable is that here we have a doctor who researched vaccines and chose not to vaccinate her daughter. That had an impact on me that sent me into a huge research project. In the end, I agree with the author and will not be vaccinating my children. I thank her for coming out about it and being specific about the obstacles that make this a challenging choice to uphold in our current society.
There's so much I love about this book. I've read many books about mother-daughter relationships specific to my relationship with my own mother. This is the first book I read regarding my relationship with my daughters, although it deals with the other mother-daughter relationship in my life, too. It's filled with down-to-earth, no-nonsense information from birth to death.
Feb 05, 2008 is currently reading it
I like the fact that the author is both a western trained doctor and open to alternative ways of healing. I especially like how she empowers a person to heal themself and I'm intrigued by the idea that a mother's healing journey can impact her daughter's health. I have two teenage daughters who take their health for you see why this book jumped out at me on my last trip to Chapters
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've just this very second finished reading this phenomenal book by Dr. Christiane Northrup. It's not an easy read. It's informative and at times triggered my buried emotions, but I highly recommend it to all women, not just women who have daughters. I have another of her books called Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom and I can't wait to read it. Thank you, Dr. Northrup, for this book!
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mothers and daughters
I love how this book is broken down into stages of a daughters growing years, the characteristics are so right on.

As mentioned in the beginning of the book, we are intimately linked to our female legacy, so in order to totally understand our relationship with our daughter's we must first examine our own relationships with our mother's, grandmother's and their own relationships.
J Ruth
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Don't assume your Mama gave you all the training you need in mother-daughter parental realities...this one guides on levels critical for facilitating soulful and brilliant practices into the ancient mother-daughter bond. A supreme guidebook.
Mar 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic. I recommend it for anyone. If you are a mother, a daughter, a grandmother. A woman period. It has so much in it that i cannot begin to explain. She is a great writer, teacher, and i'm sure a great mother. I hope to meet her one day.
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Groundbreaking, informative exploration of women's roles that soars when providing medical insights. Northrup repeatedly exposes culturally damaging myths about women's roles and health. Provocative, but dismaying when conjectures are presented as conclusions.
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Chandra Martineau, anybody with daughters
This book was probably the best I have read (besides Mona Lisa Schultz) on mind body medicine. It allowed me to get some insight on what is going on with my daughters and made me think of ways to nurture them to become caring and healthy adults.
Jane Borrowman
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Dr. Northrup. While I'm not in total agreement on her views of our Creator, I am so appreciative of her wisdoms and knowledge. This book is excellent. I have given it to friends w/daughters and I refer to it offend.
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
One of the most comprehensive, profound resources on this vital relationship I've ever read. I'm going to have to break my rule about buying books and breakdown and buy it. In fact, I might be buying several gift copies, so look out!
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great book with a very interesting perspective as a Western medicine MD/OB-GYN.

Wish I could have read it at least 20 years ago. ("Too soon old, too late smart..." I believe the saying goes....)

Obviously is able to read and interpret research, the pathway to knowledge.

Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Very comprehensive medical, psychological, and technical approach to raising healthy daughters. Probably a good book for anyone who works with kids or families in the educational or medical environments.
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very insightful look at many different health aspects and links between Mothers and daughters. It was amazingly accurate both physically and emotionally. In so many instances I could relate. Sometimes she was a little too far 'out there', but overall I liked it.
Marianne Mullen
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked how the book covered from conception through adulthood. I found it hard to follow sometimes as it was a book on tape. Feel a bit disjointed at times with audio version but really great information.
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I do not agree with all if her theories and ideas. I did like some of the neurobiology she discussed.
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Iroquois by: oprah show
this is a really interesting holistic medicine kinda book. worthit for any woman to read.
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot about myself. Very informative!
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking, and useful for understanding the dynamics between mothers and daughters. Offers suggestions for making the most of this potentially powerful association.
emma Slachta
Aug 05, 2007 rated it liked it
the link between mother-daughter health is mostly unfortunate for the younger generation. it makes me happy to not have kids, but helps me understand a bit more about my own health issues.
Sonia Shah
So far, so good. Its a big read, but with lots of wonderful information. Taking time to read it because there is so much crucial information.
Karri Lewis
Sep 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mothers and daughters
The female bond that is so important! This is a great exploratory book.
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A ton of insightful information.
  • Mothering and Daughtering: Keeping Your Bond Strong Through the Teen Years
  • Raising a Daughter: Parents and the Awakening of a Healthy Woman
  • My Mother/My Self: The Daughter's Search for Identity
  • The War on Moms: On Life in a Family-Unfriendly Nation
  • Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year (Wise Woman Herbal Series, #1)
  • Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Body Clutter: Love Your Body, Love Yourself
  • Unbending Gender
  • The Ghost in the House: Motherhood, Raising Children, and Struggling with Depression
  • Art As Medicine: Creating a Therapy of the Imagination
  • Smart Love: The Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Regulating, and Enjoying Your Child
  • Discover Your Child's Learning Style: Children Learn in Unique Ways - Here's the Key to Every Child's Learning Success
  • Super Baby Food: Absolutely Everything You Should Know about Feeding Your Baby and Toddler from Starting Solid Foods to Age Three Years
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
  • Your Face Never Lies: What Your Face Reveals about You and Your Health, an Introduction to Oriental Diagnosis
  • The Family Nutrition Book: Everything You Need to Know about Feeding Your Children from Birth Through Adolescence
  • The Mother-Daughter Book Club Rev Ed.: How Ten Busy Mothers and Daughters Came Together to Talk, Laugh, and Learn Through Their Love of Reading

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99