Start by marking “According to Mary Magdalene” as Want to Read:
According to Mary Magdalene

According to Mary Magdalene

Long ater the death of Christ, the apostles seek out Mary Magdalene. They have come for her memories of Jesus, as she was closest to and most loved by him. Thus begins her story: her childhood and the murder of her parents; her education and service at a brothel; her first love. Mary recounts her intimate experience with Jesus of Nazareth--of meeting this remarkable man, t ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Hampton Roads Publishing (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about According to Mary Magdalene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about According to Mary Magdalene

Mary
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found the concept amazing but it didn't play out like I expected. The writing feels clunky but I'm not sure if that's because of the author or the translator. I literally fell asleep everytime I tried to read it so the whole process took longer than I would have liked.
Hanna
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nordic
A completely different Mary Magdalene and Jesus than in the Bible. This is a more believable story in my humble opinion.
Rita
1997. I read "Volgens Maria Magdalena".
Fredriksson [Swedish author] became VERY famous among Dutch readers in 1998 with her book Anna, Hanna and Johanna: Good book bringing to life three generations of women in Sweden.

This one does a great job of making the first century AD come to life for me. Roman rulers, Greek traders, Greek as lingua franca of the whole Near Eastern coast; Jews, early Christians, Jewish Christians, and all those who worshipped the multiple gods of Greece and Rome [and earli
Nemain Isa
This is a whole different Maria from the Maria that the church tells, about, AND a whole different Jesus, but I adored this book.
Sissel
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kind of wish it was true.
Harry Maier
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the biography of Jesus according to Mary Magdelene. It is a kind of thought experiment that takes its point of departure from a quotation from Simone Weil who said that the origins of Christianity are no longer able to be reconstructed and have their source in a mystery. In the preface Fredriksson (a Swedish author who won a big award for the novel) explains that she was motivated in writing the book to tell a story based on historical witness that runs counter to the Gospel stories, whi ...more
Sarah Crawford
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fictional book but is based very much on things that, according to the Gospels, really did happen. Mary Magdalene is at the time an older woman and ends up writing down her memoirs. She is married to Leonidas. Her childhood years were incredibly harsh, her entire family being killed by Roman soldiers.

Leonidas ends up finding her alone and starving and takes her under his protection. He places her with a friend who happens to run a brothel. Mary is brought up there but is not forced to
Natasha
I just finished my second reading of this book. I first read it several years ago (before Goodreads). I remember liking it. My mother gave it to me (along with other books by the same author, which I also enjoyed). I still like it, but it's kind of blasphemous, and also prejudice. I think it's done deliberately, to make a point. The author made the characters too "modern" to be believable for those times. But I think she had to do that, in order to keep the reader's interest. The premise of this ...more
Majken Nilsson
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an intriguing book written about the Life of Jesus through Mary Magdalene’s eyes. Though it was controversial to many, I enjoyed reading the different perspective and how the Apostles sought her out for her memories as her time as one of Christ’s most beloved.
Darla Brown
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel about the start of the Christian church through the eyes of Mary Magdalene. I found it hard to put down as it satisfied my thirst for historical knowledge and spiritual understanding.
Suzierussell
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My problem with organised religion is that the "original" message is interpreted and presented to us as incontrovertible truth by men. Very, very, VERY occasionally women, but overwhelmingly men. Fallible people, full of the usual faults present in all human beings.

Just as history is always written by the victors, I have always wondered exactly how the cult around a young Jewish man, reputed to be the performer of miracles, spread across the world - after his death - to become a huge religion. E
Kat
I was expecting to find a very Bible-ish book, but I was greatly surprised. Reading through this book, what went into my mind was "huh? this feels so modern!"

Perhaps in the Bible (New Testament), it's focused so entirely on Jesus that not much light on the daily lives and jobs of people there are mentioned?

High-end pleasure venues (complete with in-house chef and gardener?)... I had quite a hard time putting that into the Jesus era (or, slightly post-Jesus era) in terms of timeline.

But, it was a
Fionna
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely interesting. It occasionally took some effort to figure out "when" we were, and I think some things could have been explained a little better, but overall I think it gave a view that we might not hear everyday - the women's side of Jesus's story. I think it would have meant a little more to me if I was religious, or even well versed in religion, but it was interesting to think about how different Christianity is (or might be) from what Jesus actually taught. I liked the view on God and ...more
Beth
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another stellar Marianne Fredriksson book. I think this one and 'Simon's Family' are my favorites. I normally intensely dislike books pertaining to Christianity, yet this book was different, it was so so good. Almost makes me want to delve into the Gnostic gospels again. It is always encouraging to be presented with an image of Christianity full of tolerance and egalitarianism (what the Bible is diametrically opposed to). Although this was fiction, I like to imagine it contained the spirit of tr ...more
Johanna Menges
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just loved the storytelling. It brings the figure of Mary Magdalena so close to the reader. It is so interesting to get a feminine perspective to the stories around the beginning of the christian church. This book does not describe the story as it is written in the bible. But I just loved the interpretation of the author.
Marianne Fredricksson is able to bring so much life to her figures that you have the impression you know them personally.
Bridget
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this while I was in Japan; i should have a shelf here for: "Books I read solely because they were in English and I didn't have a lot of options."

That said, I really appreciated this book. I had never been able to conceive of Jesus as an actual mortal person before I read this book. I'm not giving it more stars because I want to re-read it before I lavish too much praise on this aspect.
Daphne
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. Read a translation since I don't speak/read/understand Swedish, but the style was amazing - sparse and detailed at the same time. Interesting, filled with theory and humanity, leaving impressions behind for a long time. A story of love and friendship and of answering your calling in a way. Definitely recommended.
Sancho
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Stories that are told from a different perspective than the usually accepted (and defended) are normally interesting to me. Fredriksson takes on a controversial subject, and even being Swedish (i.e. belonging to a more open-minded society), I think she was brave and succeded in writing a good book.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, adult
A fictional story of the life and death of Christ as told by Mary Magdalene, the woman who probably knew him best.[return][return]If you're interested in alternative views of Christianity, you'll enjoy this book. And if not, it's a good story nonetheless.
Sissi
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the first books I found on the role of women during Jesus' time on earth. Although fictional, the story seems very credible. I have since moved on to non fictional books on Mary of Magdala and can say that Fredriksson researched well.
Trey Mustian
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This book portrays the author's idea of Mary Magdalene's life before meeting Jesus, her relationship and experiences with Jesus and her reminiscence of Jesus. Parts are very engaging but the overall story could be more coherent.
Paavo Kerosuo
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting and worthwhile point of view to a canonized story.
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was ok. What I liked about it is that it really makes you think about what went on with the followers of Jesus before and after. Esp the women.
Stephanie Coutant
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
the author's creative interpretation of Mary's life is full of grace and surprises.
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2009 rated it liked it
From Anna-Britt Coe. While everyone else was reading the Da Vinci Code, I was reading this. Great exploration of what it might have been like for the women in Jesus' life.
Jana Miah
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story gave a very interesting insight in the (fictional) life of Magdalene. I felt very connected with the character in the book.
Veerle Goeteyn
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really worth reading!!
Linda
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me think twice about the story of Jesus.
Walter
Oct 04, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
Very feminist, weak theology, poorly written.
Piper Mejia
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: yr13, biblical
Themes of love, death, grief and survival.

• Molnfri bombnatt
  • I Miss You, I Miss You!
  • Testament
  • Sunnanäng
  • Minns du den stad (Stadserien, #3)
  • Hugo and Josephine
  • In the Wilderness (The Master of Hestviken, #3)
  • Idun (Sagan om Valhalla, #2)
  • Kulla-Gulla (Kulla-Gulla, #1)
  • Bright Dark Madonna (Maeve Chronicles, #3)
  • The Moon Under Her Feet
  • Hagen von Tronje
  • Unto a Good Land (The Emigrants, #2)
  • Mary Magdalene: A Biography
  • Rhinegold
  • Kees de jongen
Marianne Fredriksson was a Swedish author who worked and lived in Roslagen and Stockholm. Before becoming a novelist, she was a journalist on various Swedish newspapers and magazines, including Svenska Dagbladet.

Fredriksson published fifteen novels, most of which have been translated into English, German, Dutch and other languages. Most of her earlier books are based on biblical stories. A central