Start by marking “I Can Only Give You Everything” as Want to Read:
I Can Only Give You Everything

I Can Only Give You Everything

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Winner of the 2011 Next Generation Indie Book Award and silver medalist in the 2011 Independent Book Publisher Award, I CAN ONLY GIVE YOU EVERYTHING tells the life affirming story of how one little girl deals with an irreparable loss.

After the loss of her mother to breast cancer, nine year-old Chloe Taggert decides to heal in a very unusual way. Taking her mother’s cold sh
Published 2010

To ask other readers questions about I Can Only Give You Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Only Give You Everything

A Company of Swans by Eva IbbotsonBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildThe Melting Season by Celeste ConwayLisa And Egon by Tina LiziusSus-sous at The Ballet by Collette Ritz
Tutus
29 books — 5 voters
Descend by Skye MaloneAwaken by Skye MaloneOnly a Promise by Mary BaloghThe Third Degree by Norah McClintockL'Écume des jours by Boris Vian
"Chloe"
105 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelsey Wilcox
MUST READ OR WILL EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Emese
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
A sensitive, emotional portrait of father and child told in beautifully vivid prose. I found myself rereading sentences to get to all the layers – a truly synesthetic experience. The central relationship moves between affable and bittersweet as Brian and Chloe navigate society’s expectations, family relations, and the art world while trying to deal with a devastating loss. The insights into the artistic process and exhibitions were interesting, especially seeing how the expectations of the jaded ...more
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, contemporary
I won this as a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. The concept was intriguing to me; a newly-widowed dad trying to adjust to the transition of losing his wife and doing what he thinks is best for his daughter. The book was raw and real - not only dealing with the grief that a nuclear family faces in losing one of their integral parts, but also with the expectations that others have about "moving on" after death and what grief is supposed to look like.

Unfortunately, I just didn't connect with it. At
Rachel (aka Ms4Tune)
This was a it's-not-the-book-it's-me read. The storyline followed a father (Brian) and his 9 year old daughter (Chloe) after the loss of their wife/mother. In an attempt to deal with her grief Chloe builds a 'Mommy Machine', a sculpted igloo that encapsulated the items that linked to her Mum and more importantly the smell of her mother. When a exhibition/sales women stumbles upon it, the artwork is taken to be displayed and Chloe and Brian embark on a tour to showcase the work.

I found it beauti
Autumn Christian
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A light-hearted adventure of daughter and father after her mother dies from cancer. While not my usual fare, it kept me reading until the end. In order to cope with grief the daughter creates a "Mommy Machine," comprised of her smell, which launches her into the art world at the age of nine.

While the writing flowed smoothly and the dialog between daughter and father was original and refreshing, the book suffers from a lack of conflict. Every possible danger that comes up is easily solved in the
Kathy
Dec 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
That's two one star books in a row! Not good. I finished this during our initial travels to Denmark. I really didn't like the personality of the narrator so maybe my rating is not fair. I just didn't like it much, so that's that.
Julia
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This book, at least the Kindle version, needed a better editor. I have never seen so many typos/errors: form instead of from, wrong use of your, you're, many many errors.
Aberaxex canavaro
May 13, 2012
Damian sterling
May 12, 2012
Julz
rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2015
Jun 20, 2012
Emily Dentler
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Absolutely loved this book! Quirky, fun, and emotional.
Maahy
  • The Mothers of Country Day
  • Strangers
  • Letters to Mom
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Wish I Could Have Said Goodbye
  • The Man Who Left
  • No Alternative
  • The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy
  • Us
  • 6 Seconds of Life
  • Losing Clementine
  • A Touch of Honor (The Honor Trilogy #1)
  • Ascending Into Euphoria: A Collection of Poetry
  • Puppet
  • A Charmed Life (The Charmed Life, #1-3)