Start by marking “The Angry Child: Regaining Control When Your Child Is Out of Control” as Want to Read:
The Angry Child: Regaining Control When Your Child Is Out of Control

The Angry Child: Regaining Control When Your Child Is Out of Control

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Every child has an off day when nothing seems to go right, but for some, angry outbursts, frustration, and resentment are the norm. When a child's anger threatens to jeopardize his school and social life and introduces an element of strain into the family dynamics that affects every member, it's time for a parent to ask: When is angry too angry?

Child psychologist Dr. Tim M
Published April 28th 2010 by Harmony (first published June 19th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Angry Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angry Child

Catherine Mikkelsen
A wise teacher once told me that everything is behavior. Learning is behavior, problems learning are also behavior. So I distrust books that 1) stress a certain negative type of child and 2)work to deal with that behavior without a comprehensive approach to finding out the cause.

That said, this book really does focus on anger, which is a real thing. How to recognize it, how to deal with it, how to defuse it (both in the child and the parent.) Helpful.

I prefer to see this type of information pres
Rebekah M.
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author's work and research go right along with my other favorite doctors' teachings: Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, Brene Brown, Glenn Latham, Sue Klebold, etc. Acknowledge feelings, communicate to problem solve, observe changes in behavior, I get it but I also appreciated the chapters on ADHD and the struggles children go through during their parents' divorce. The ten characteristics of a truly angry child were also enlightening.
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I'm almost half way through this book and I think I'm done. The author does a great job of describing the psyches of angry kids but offers really limited and vague suggestions for dealing with any particular issue. Maybe it's the kind of parent I am, but I need clear examples (and preferably lots of them), not just recommendations that I should try to foster this or that in my child with no further information on what that might look like on a daily basis. Luckily, there are plenty of other book ...more
Dawn
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Good advice about modelling anger management skills. When to deal with the underlying issue (not mid-tantrum), meeting needs, and reducing stress. Less specific to my own family than I'd hoped.
Shareen
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This was not the magic book to answer all my problems. Is that too much to ask? I thought the descriptions of the problems were better than the solutions.
Rose
Mar 08, 2012
Ashley
Feb 08, 2012
Loriann Oberlin
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dana
Feb 10, 2016
Jessica
Aug 25, 2013
Larissa
rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2010
L Laurenzano
Jan 22, 2014
Theresa Bastian
Apr 15, 2011
Tim Murphy, PhD, is a psychologist and Congressman (one of only a few members of Congress with a background in healthcare); he relies on his three decades as a psychologist to advocate for meaningful reforms in the U.S. healthcare system. He is currently working to pass the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act, landmark mental health reform legislation that has praise and support from the ...more
More about Tim Murphy...