Start by marking “The Praxis (Dread Empire's Fall, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Praxis (Dread Empire's Fall, #1)

The Praxis (Dread Empire's Fall #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  2,105 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
All will must bend to the perfect truth of The Praxis.

For millennia, the Shaa have subjugated the universe, forcing the myriad sentient races to bow to their joyless tyranny. But the Shaa will soon be no more. The dread empire is in its rapidly fading twilight, and with its impending fall comes the promise of a new galactic order... and bloody chaos.

A young Terran naval of
Published August 26th 2003 by HarperTorch (first published 2002)

Lee
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
I am going to start out by saying that Walter John Williams is an accomplished writer. He has begun to spin a tale here that has me very interested in the trilogy.
No doubt that this is a space opera and it does have a fair chunk of your bog standard space story lines. But Williams creates a very interesting universe that you get to see at the end of its current cycle. A superior race has ruled for 5 or 10 generations (i forget which) and ha sbrought peace to, well everyone. But only because if y
Arik Knapp
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only science fiction series that comes close to Dread Empire's Fall in terms of scope, characterization, and sheer brilliance would be Leviathan Wakes, or possibly Asimov's Foundation.

What it's about? Roughly, humanity is part of a Romanesque galactic empire 10000 years in the future. Travel is done through wormholes, the navy hasn't fought a real war...ever.

In short, it's about the collapse of an empire, and it avoids a lot of the typical trappings of sci-fi: the protagonists aren't simply
Tom
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Walter Jon Williams is the author of the sleek, sophisticated ripped-from-tomorrow's-headlines series that kicked off so memorably with This Is Not A Game. Before he dipped his toe into flashy techno-thrillers, however, he penned the more stately Dread Empire's Fall series. How does WJW manage with grand spacer opera and military sci-fi? Based on the first book in the series, The Praxis, the answer is: quite well!

The author has set a challenge for himself by putting the ending of the story right
Paul Darcy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
by Walter Jon Williams, published in 2002.

Space Opera - I just love it. This, “The Praxis” from Walter Jon Williams, is indeed what I believe to be classified as space opera. We have alien races, epic space battles and operatic situations.

This is the first part of “Dread Empire’s Fall” trilogy, and it starts off rather slowly. In fact, it starts off so slowly we don’t really get to any significant action until three quarters of the way through the novel.

Which seems to annoy many readers, but not
Miloș Dumbraci
decentă, nimic remarcabil pozitiv sau negativ. o carte ce mi-ar fi plăcut în adolescență, dar acum nu am putut trece de jumătate.
Vincent Stoessel
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I would have given this book 4 stars but it didn't start getting good for me till chapter 7.
Too much time was spend on the early character development while neglecting the main plot.
This is my second attempt and I'm glad I finally finished it as it finished really strong. Probably will read the sequel.
Update: the next 2 books in this series make slogging through this book worth the effort.
BookBandit
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Ship to ship" (versus space marines) military scifi.

Slow build, but finishes very nicely.
Wes
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I reread this book after about 3 1/2 years since my first time and I have to bump my rating up to five stars.

This book is exactly what Space Opera and Military Sci-Fi should be, it sets out to create a sweeping, fully realized world inhabited by unique, interesting characters and serves up a plot that is equally personal and melodramatic. Its not often that I say that I wish a book were longer, but in this case I wish there were an extra 100 pages to describe the world, its history, the ch
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Two interesting characters raise their status due to their knowledge, skills and bravery as the Praxis Empire comes to an end. The action kept me reading as did the interplay between the characters.
John
Mar 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Agree with reviewers who found the bones of a decent space opera deeply, DEEPLY embedded in inconsequential back stories, simplistic society building and tedious detail. Not feeling any need to continue with the series.
  • Permanence
  • Insurrection (Starfire, #1)
  • The Quiet War (The Quiet War #1)
  • The Risen Empire (Succession, #1)
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Metaplanetary
  • Death's Head (Death's Head #1)
  • Stealing Light (The Shoal Sequence, #1)
  • Ship of Fools
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • The Skinner (Spatterjay, #1)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)
  • The New Space Opera
  • Helix
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • The Precipice (The Grand Tour, #8; The Asteroid Wars, #1)
  • Newton's Wake: A Space Opera
Walter Jon Williams has published twenty novels and short fiction collections. Most are science fiction or fantasy -Hardwired, Voice of the Whirlwind, Aristoi, Metropolitan, City on Fire to name just a few - a few are historical adventures, and the most recent, The Rift, is a disaster novel in which "I just basically pound a part of the planet down to bedrock." And that's just the opening chapters ...more
More about Walter Jon Williams...

Dread Empire's Fall (4 books)
  • The Sundering (Dread Empire's Fall, #2)
  • Conventions of War (Dread Empire's Fall #3)
  • The Accidental War