Start by marking “Pemberley Ranch” as Want to Read:
Pemberley Ranch

Pemberley Ranch

When the smoke has cleared from the battlefields and the civil war has finally ended, fervent Union supporter Beth Bennet reluctantly moves with her family from their home in Meryton, Ohio, to the windswept plains of Rosings, Texas. Handsome, haughty Will Darcy, a Confederate officer back from the war, owns half the land around Rosings, and his even haughtier cousin, Cate ...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Pemberley Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pemberley Ranch

J. W. Garrett
The Civil War comes to Pemberley Ranch in east Texas: Yeehaw!

Source: Library ebook

This book is not canon, does not follow Jane Austen’s P&P in any shape form or fashion other than a few of the names being the same. Some of the characterizations were carried forward, but for the most part it is a completely different story and could have stood alone. For some that will a problem, for others, they won’t care.

Caveat – disclaimer - warning: There is strong language sprinkled throughout [all th
Sophia
I completely agree with Sharon Lathan's cover quote on this one because it was Pride and Prejudice meets Gone With the Wind. It completely knocked me right out of the saddle (in a good way). Hard to believe that this was an emerging author's efforts.

In this Historical Western Romance retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice which mostly takes place post-Civil War era, Elizabeth Bennet and her family hail as staunch Yankees from Ohio who migrate to Texas to start over again on a small farm
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Don your best gingham dress, dungarees, or Stetson and saddle up for a rip roarin' adventure with the gang from Pride and Prejudice!

Ever since her brother died while fighting for the Union, Beth Bennet has vowed to blame, suspect, and hate anyone associated with the Confederate Army. When her father moves Beth's family from Ohio to their own farm in Rosings, Texas, Beth finds herself surrounded by those she swore to forever hate. Although Beth eventually accepts and befriends southerners like h
Sheila Majczan
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read the longer of the other reviews on Amazon, some being persons whose reviews I read over and over again and with whom I usually agree. I must mention that "Voracious Reader" made some significant remarks about the accuracy of the historical details. I am not an expert on history but while many stated that Mr. Caldwell's book reflected good research I wonder who has the history correct considering those remarks? That being said, I will now say that even if the historical ...more
Anna
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: goodreads
Shelves: adventure-epic
This is a fabulous re-telling of Austen's classic with a western flair.

Beth Bennet and Will Darcy are the central characters with the secondary characters from P&P along with more characters borrowed from other Austen stories playing supporting roles.
Taking place during the final years of Reconstruction with Rosings as the town in Texas, Pemberley Ranch and the Bennet homestead, the story follows the essential points of the original and the twists are authentic to the place and time in his
Elizabeth Bennet
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book a while back not sure why I never did a review. I found myself with mixed feelings on this one. I loved the authors portrayal of the P&P characters and felt it was imaginative and original. If you are a lover of history this is also a plus for you. The whole book takes place in Texas after the battle between the north and south. Samuel Bennet is new addition to the Bennet clan and is lost in the war.

Elizabeth forms her prejudice of all southerns after this. Pemberley ranch
Blodeuedd Finland
Plot:

The Bennet family moves from Ohio to Texas. Beth is still angry at the south because her brother died in the war, but her sister finds happiness with a Doctor. And so the book begins, she meets the rich rancher Will Darcy. There is dislike, and there is prejudice. And there is wicked George Whitehead with plans of his own for the area.

My thoughts:

I do like Pride and Prejudice re-tellings and this one was so fresh and original. This time the prejudice in the book comes from Beth being from t
Laurel
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lizzy and Darcy the Wild West Legend

I have been patiently awaiting a Wild West rendition of Pride and Prejudice for some time, so when Pemberley Ranch rode into town, I was all anticipation. The blending of the two genres seemed like a natural to me; especially concerning two romantic archetypes – the Regency gentleman and the American cowboy. *swoon*

It’s really not surprising that so many elements from the Regency-era have transitioned neatly into Caldwell’s new adaption of Jane Austen classic
Kimberly
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Really, I'd give this book 2.5 stars, but I rounded down because of all the four and five star reviews it's receiving. Pemberley Ranch is not a four or five star book; three stars at the most would suffice. It's obviously a first novel; the writing is horrific at times and so are some of the characters. And, Pemberley Ranch was obviously written by a man. (view spoiler) ...more
Angelc
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read a western retelling of "Pride and Prejudice" and let me say this book delivers! The author retains everything we love about the original, while still making the story different enough that you have to keep reading! He stays true to the characters and themes, but it's not a scene-for-scene rehash of the original, he mixes it up a lot.

I love reading about American history in historical novels and I feel like it's pretty rare to find an historical book set in America. It wa
SheLove2Read
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
A highly engrossing and inspired retelling of the classic Austen tale, Pride and Prejudice, set in a western story. Mr. Caldwell surprised me with his version that had me both crying and smiling. I absolutely recommend it to fans of the original and fans of western romance. A++
Sue
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I usually have a hard time with this kind of Austen related work but after awhile this book grew on me. I'm not usually one into much Civil War history. I did however come to really enjoy the characters in this book based on Pride and Prejudice characters. I loved the map in the front of the book. I enjoyed the characters for the most part: Catherine Burroughs (B&R Ranch) bad gal, Anne Burroughs (likeable and surprising romance), William Darcy good guy, Gaby Darcy (sweet), Jose' Estrada (goo ...more
Shala Howell
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
I love Jane Austen fan fiction. Good or bad, I generally plow through it to the end. This is the first of the JA fan fiction where I thought to myself, you know, I would like this book a lot better if Caldwell hadn't used the character names from the original Austen texts. I just don't think Austen's characters belong in Civil War/Reconstruction era Texas. I mean really, "Doc Bingley"? Mr. Darcy saying things like "Saddle 'em up, boys. Let's ride!"?

The storyline is necessarily quite different f
Amy
Dec 14, 2016 marked it as not-going-to-finish
Shelves: jane-austen
I was hardly expecting great literature and was even willing to keep reading once I realized how awful the writing style was...but Mr. Darcy sitting in the bushes peeking at a bathing "Beth" Bennet is more than I can take. Too vulgar to be cheesy-fun and too ridiculous to be original or interesting. What a pity! This had promise.
LobsterGal
Jan 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Just not quite my cup of tea. Not as close to pride and prejudice as I wanted.
Karen
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pride and Prejudice's characters re-imagined in post-Civil War Texas. Part Western, part romance, this was well-written, entertaining historical fiction.
Lit Reader
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Austen variation is just plain and simple, a great piece of Austenesque, but more, a great Western Romance on its own right!
The setting (alternate universe?) is post Civil War Texas, and every aspect of P&P is freeley and flawlessly adapted to this new reality. I loved all that was the same as in Austen's novels, and I loved more the creative innovations to make the story fresh and full of energy, in a way unique to itself.
I cannot recommend it enough !

Good writting, historical wester
Todd
When Kim first asked me to read Pemberley Ranch by Jack Caldwell, it was at the bequest of a commenter who asked what my take on the novel would be, considering it is one of the few pieces of Jane Austen fan fiction (that we know of) written by a man. To be honest I didn’t really expect it to be all that different from the other fan fiction novels that Kim reviews. I can honestly say that I was definitely wrong.

Pemberley Ranch, or Pranch as I called it informally when I was reading it around our
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pemberley Ranch is a wonderful new western starring my favorite literary couple, Mr. Darcy (known as Will in this book) and Elizabeth Bennet (referred to as Beth).

The novel starts with William Darcy and Charles Bingley in the thick of action during the American Civil War. After an altercation with crooked Yankee officer George Whitehead, Darcy and Bingley are shipped off to a prison camp for the rest of the war. Afterwards, Darcy goes back to his ranch, Pemberley, near the small town of Rosings,
Chelsea LaVere
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a bit of stumbling block for me to start this book because well, Jane Austen is queen, and there are so many awful renditions of Pride and Prejudice, but I'm glad I chugged through. What intrigued me most was the Old West setting as I hadn't seen any Jane Austen retellings beyond 18th century England or 21st century America/England, so I was excited to see this new perspective with familiar characters.

At first, I wasn't really excited that Caldwell used the same names (I don't really imag
Diane Wilkes
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is definitely a twist when it comes to the Austen fan fiction genre. Wild West Austen sounded too kicky for me to miss, so I picked up PEMBERLEY RANCH and read it to the end, despite wanting to put it down fairly early on.

As opposed to Austen's bit of ivory, Caldwell has chosen a wide swath, combining civil war and post-civil war history with a retelling of the classic PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. While the first is probably done well (I'm no expert in the field), the second is wide of the mark. VE
Charlene
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone that loves romance with intrigue
This a second read for me. I read this book when it came out first and was a little new to the fan fic but since than I've come to appreciate the great stories told by the aceptional writers and one of them is Jack Caldwell. This book was wonderful the first time around but the second was amazing. I rated this story 4 stars before and now if I could I would rate it 6. I never appreciated how intricately Jack wove in all of Jane Austens characters into the story line and Darcy and Beth(Lizzy) wer ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pemberley Ranch by Jack Caldwell is a story that mixes the Pride and Prejudice story and the aftermath of the American Civil War. This historical romance is set in 1863 Vicksburg, Mississippi and 1870 Rosings, Texas and it has most of the characters of Jane Austen's novel. Names are changed a bit, circumstances mostly the same, Elizabeth (Beth) who is from the North, despising William (Will) Darcy, a Southerner and Will falling in love with Beth and her eventual capitulation of her feelings towa ...more
Casey Clementine
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Warning it's 2:30 AM and I am going to ramble!

Ok what is it with P+P adaptations and completely fucking Darcy's characterization? This was an entertaining read but the author clearly didn't have a good grasp on the character of most of these characters. How can you make William Darcy a rancher? I don't get it. Also, what is the deal with P+P adaptations putting Charlotte Lucas and Colonel Fitzwilliams into a relationship?

Ok so what I did like about this book was that I had no idea where it was g
Mel
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." However, when that man is a former Confederate soldier and Elizabeth Bennett a newly arrived Yankee in a formerly Confederate state, sparks fly. However, what I liked about this novel is that it wasn't just a re-hash of Austen's P & P (although I do love that story, many retelling seem to fall flat in the re-write); instead, it's the story which deals with the setting of the ...more
Caitlin
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pride & Prejudice re-imagined during and after the Civil War. Beth Bennett is a Yankee farmer's daughter, moved to Texas with her family after the war. Will Darcy owns Pemberley Ranch, and fought for his state and country in the war. Beth believes she knows what kind of people Southern land owners were, and the handsome and charming carpetbagger George Whitehead confirms her beliefs.
However, loyalty and the war are more complex issues than Beth realizes, with both sides of the fighting havin
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this book. It was a little slow to get into at first, but then the pace really picked up. The only thing I had a problem with was that there were too many "Uhhs" and "Ummms" throughout the book. It broke the pace of the language and didn't seem to fit in with the Civil War and post-Civil War setting. I enjoyed reading about Will and Beth's story, even though I kept calling them "Darcy" and "Lizzie" in my head! I thought this book was an interesting twist on Pride & Prejudice ...more
Anastasia
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really interesting reinterpretation of P&P. I liked that other characters from Jane Austen's novels were mentioned, even in passing. It was a little odd trying to hear the characters speak in a Southern accent rather than a British one, which made the use of American slang jarring at times. But the transition of the plot to another country and another time was excellent.
Claudia
Nov 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Technically it's 3 1/2 stars...I really enjoyed the storyline of this book. I think Mr. Caldwell did a great job giving this story an American twist. What I did NOT enjoy was the cheesy dialogue and writing. I wish it could be re-written by a writer who actually knows how to write dialogue. If it wasn't so corny, it would have gotten a 5 star.
Laura Jean
Solid reimagining of Pride and Prejudice set in Texas after the Civil War. This is the author's debut and his history is well researched. He even includes footnotes. He also stays true to the story yet makes it different enough that it's a real reimagining and not something cobbled together like Pride Prejudice and Zombies. I was impressed despite myself. Quite a good book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Pemberley Medley
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • A Wife for Mr. Darcy
  • Drive and Determination
  • The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy
  • Christmas at Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Holiday Sequel
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)
  • 1932
  • Affinity and Affection
  • A Darcy Christmas
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • Rainy Days - An Alternative Journey from Pride and Prejudice to Passion and Love
  • Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman
  • Fate and Consequences: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice
Jack Caldwell, born and raised in the Bayou County of Louisiana, is an author, amateur historian, professional economic developer, playwright, and like many Cajuns, a darn good cook.

His nickname -- The Cajun Cheesehead -- came from his devotion to his two favorite NFL teams: the New Orleans Saints and the Green Bay Packers. (Every now and then, Jack has to play the DVD again to make sure the Sain
“A man's judged by what he is and not what he was.” 5 likes