Start by marking “In Defense Of The Descent (Explorations In Reformed Confessional Theology)” as Want to Read:
In Defense Of The Descent (Explorations In Reformed Confessional Theology)

In Defense Of The Descent (Explorations In Reformed Confessional Theology)

The Apostles Creed claims that Christ descended into hell, but do we really believe that? Should we believe that? In this book, Daniel R. Hyde analyzes this controversial claim, bringing valuable light to this long confessed doctrine. He presents the arguments raised against the descent clause, discusses the various understanding of it throughout church history, explains h ...more
Published June 4th 2010 by Reformation Heritage Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In Defense Of The Descent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Defense Of The Descent

Felipe
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O autor (Daniel Hyde) tenta refutar as afirmações de Randall Otto, Michael Williams e Wayne Grudem, entre outros críticos contemporâneos, de que a cláusula "ele desceu ao inferno" deve ser retirada do Credo quando o recitarmos no culto público. Trata-se da mesma posição que Cornelis P. Venema defende em seu excelente livro "What we believe: An exposition of the Apostles' Creed".

Gostei!
Brad
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Short, to the point, and very helpful. Pages 33-43 were of particular help and importance to me as a pastor. This section dealt with the two most misunderstood passages of Scripture that many people associate with Christ's descent into hell. However, as Hyde makes clear, these passages don't teach what many assume. If you aren't sure exactly how to interpret "He descended into hell" from the Apostles' Creed, this book is for you! I commend it highly.
Chris
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a decent and interesting overview of the clause, "He descended into hell." Whether or not you agree with his conclusion (which I do), this will prove to be a quick and enlightening read on a rather confusing subject. That said, I give this four stars because I have some scruples with this little book's editorial issues.
Gary Reid Haynes
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revealing

Helps me to understand the descent phrase. I would still like to read a more convincing line of thought on this issue however.
Hobart
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Wow. Hyde crammed a lot of history and theology (and history of theology) into these 74 pages! This book could've easily been another 50 pages longer if he'd taken the time to fully flesh out some of these points. But the book isn't lacking because he didn't -- not at all.

We may like to think our generation (or so) is the first to be enlightened enough to have qualms with the clause in The Apostle's Creed, "He descended into Hell," but that's just not the case. It's a centuries-old controversy,
Dalen Kruse
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've always wondered about the phrase "He descended into hell" in the Apostle's Creed. This short book provides a well researched response to those who think this phrase doesn't belong in the creed. It's short, to the point, and contains a wealth of footnotes. I highly recommend it.
Paul
Apr 24, 2014
Mark Goddard
Apr 06, 2018
Peter N.
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short, helpful introduction to the history and interpretation of the phrase "He descended into hell" in the Apostles' Creed. After reading it, I lean towards it being synonymous with the previous word, "buried" thus adopting the Westminster reading of the phrase. Also after reading it I see no reason to take the phrase out. There are enough Biblical ways to interpret that phrase that there is no need to remove it.
Andrew
Lee Sutherland
Oct 07, 2018
Vinicius Gralato jr.
Jul 22, 2015
Daniel R. Hyde (ThM, Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary) is the Pastor of the Oceanside United Reformed Church in Oceanside, California. He is the author of over ten books, including Welcome to a Reformed Church, Why Believe in God?, and God in Our Midst.
“what benefit does retaining the clause, He descended into hell, bring to us? In a word, this clause is an essential part of the doctrine of the Christian church as well as the experience of its members. John Calvin spoke of its essential nature for doctrine when he said what this clause asserts in the Apostles’ Creed is “a matter of no small moment in bringing about redemption.” He continued to say that, “a place must be given to it, as it contains the useful and not-to-be-despised mystery of a most important matter.” To those with scruples about this clause, Calvin said, “It will soon be made plain how important it is to the sum of our redemption: if it is left out, much of the benefit of Christ’s death will be lost.”1” 0 likes