Start by marking “The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)

The Duke's Perfect Wife

(Mackenzies & McBrides #4)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  12,512 ratings  ·  1,038 reviews
Lady Eleanor Ramsay is the only one who knows the truth about Hart Mackenzie. Once his fiancee, she is the sole woman to whom he could ever pour out his heart.

Hart has it all—a dukedom, wealth, power, influence, whatever he desires. Every woman wants him—his seductive skills are legendary. But Hart has sacrificed much to keep his brothers safe, first from their brutal fat
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 296 pages
Published April 3rd 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Duke's Perfect Wife, please sign up.
Maggie May There is one scene with some light bondage. It is suggested several times that there is more than that but it is never explicitly stated. I wish there…moreThere is one scene with some light bondage. It is suggested several times that there is more than that but it is never explicitly stated. I wish there were a smidge more to it. It seems somewhat pointless to make such a big deal of his proclivities and then almost entirely avoid the actions. (less)

·  12,512 ratings  ·  1,038 reviews

Start your review of The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession

First read 5/6/2015
Reread 8/22/2016
Re-Reread 6/29/2017
Re read 7/26/2020

I am not going to do a review on this book. I am just going to say that it was a good book, but no where near as good as the others. Hart annoyed me a lot in this book. I still liked him but the things he did drove me batty. I wasn't really feeling this couple. Ian is in this book a lot and that made it better. The thing that I didn't like about this book was the couple is apart for 8 years. They broke up for what I
Blacky *Romance Addict*
“You need to stay far away from me, Eleanor Ramsay. You say you don’t need protection, but that is exactly what you do need. From me.”

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Another great installment on the Highland Pleasures series, loved it, even though I expected more from this book, but oh well :D Hart and Eleanor were great, and I'm looking forward to the next book and seeing more of them together :)

The story

Eleanor Ramsay receives a photograph of her former fiancé, Hart Mackenzie, and decides to pay him a visit and a
Booklover, Indianapolis
Sammy Loves Books
“This was the Hart Eleanor had known years ago, the one she'd agreed without hesitation to marry. He'd had the body of a god, a smile that melted her heart, a sinful glint in his eyes that had been just for her and her alone.”

Hart MacKenzie

Hart

Duke Hart MacKenzie has only ever loved one woman. But she left him years ago, and his life has been full of loss ever since. He married, only to lose his wife and son in childbirth.

Hart caressed the letters of baby Graham’s name. “Mac likes to say, We’re
Jessica
I am so obsessed with this series. Hart is the oldest Mackenzie and has taken a brunt of the bad stuff going on in the family. I could not wait to see him get his own happy ending!

First off, I LOVVEEEDDDD how much we got of all of the Mackenzies in this book. The family is so close, so we saw a ton of Mac, Ian, and Cameron, as well as their wives, and I loved it so much. Hart is such an interesting character because he is so driven and hardened and doesn't put his own happiness first. I loved th
Megzy
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping Eleanor keeps away from Hart or, as I call him, "heartless" for another ten years or more; of all the brothers, he was the "sick" one.

In The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, I found Hart McKenzie to be a despicable human being. He manipulated his brothers and others for his own selfish gain. He treated his mistress, his wife, various prostitutes he employed in a separate house, and his sister in-laws like dirt. He had no regard for anyone. This is a man who beds and asphyxiates a pros
Baba
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
4.5 stars.

I've missed you. I've missed you so much it's breaking my heart.

El, I've missed you. I've died a little every day without you.

Lady Eleanor Ramsay is lurking among a flock of journalists in St. James's Street, waiting for the great Hart Mackenzie, Duke of Kilmorgan, emerging from his club. Eleanor had come to change his life, and she is here to present a business proposition. Someone sent Eleanor a somewhat compromising photograph of Hart. She is quite happy to announce that she'd be pl
Jennifer Ashley
Hart's book. Heroine: Eleanor Ramsay. Pub date is now April 2012. ...more
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlander-books

4.5 flames

“Hart Mackenzie. It was said he knew every pleasure a woman desired and exactly how to give it to her. Hart wouldn't ask what the lady wanted, and she might not even know herself, but she would understand once he'd finished. And she'd want it again."

Thus begins the smokin' first paragraph of The Duke's Perfect Wife.

I’ve wanted Hart’s story since I first saw him in The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie. He was such an ass to Beth, yet his love for hi
Lover of Romance
OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVED this one!! I can't even put into words how much I fell in love with "The Duke's Perfect Wife". I actually haven't read this series for quite a few years, not since they first came out, and I can't believe it took me so long to read this one. Ever since the first in the series, I just fell in love with all of the characters. How great it was to see them all in Hart's story. Hart I have always loved...even though he is manipulative and craves power...but more importantly he l ...more
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
I so wanted to give this book 5* because there was so much I loved about it but there were a few issues that really bugged me and so I'm rating it 4.5*.

WHAT I LOVED ABOUT THIS BOOK

Hart and Eleanor

As with everything else, Hart had planned with precision how he intended to win Eleanor back and make her his wife. Poor Hart! Things don’t go completely to plan and it was wonderful to see that famous self-control crack when she unexpectedly walks back into his life. He’s so used to controlling everyth
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
2022 Reread.

Hart & El... they make me so happy. This series is deeply moving to me. I enjoy spending time with this family so much.

5 Stars
3 on my Spice Scale

***************************************

June 2020

I love this series so much.

Hart, I have been waiting for since the beginning. I loved his redemption and his realization about what is important to him. Love Love Love.
Lady Nilambari Reads HR
4.5 Stars

Welcome to the world of the Mackenzies. They are mad, bad, and delicious. And the most enigmatic of them is Hart Mackenzie.

Plot Summary
Ten years ago, Lady Eleanor Ramsay jilted Hart Mackenzie, the now all-powerful Duke of Kilmorgan. When Eleanor shows up on his doorstep a decade later, the unflappable Duke is...well...flapped. One look at El and Hart's decision is made he will win her back and not let her get away again. A piece of cake for the most powerful man in the realm, right?
Erika
The Lord of Scoundrels is the first, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie is the second, and The Duke's Perfect Wife is the third romance book that left me speechless and unable to share my thoughts and my feelings in a review by the time I finished reading it. So I'll just tell you how many stars I gave to this book and the reasons in a simple way.

Five stars to Hart Mackenzie. For his pride, his passion, his mistakes, his pain, his roughness, his sacrifices, his burdens, his responsibilities, his
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
4.75 stars!

"We're Mackenzies, we break what we touch."

My beautiful broken boys. Ruined by their pasts. Faced pain and suffering time after time but still grew up to be good men. These characters hold special place in my heart, forever etched.

Hart Mackenzie to duke of Kilmorgan, the first born. The cold, controlling and manipulative one. At an early age he learned to man up and protect his brothers so he sacrificed a lot. He had to, for his family. He hardened himself up so he can see to it t
Dija
Now that I've read all the Mackenzie brothers' books, I can finally compose the lists I've wanted to since the beginning.

Favorite heroine:

1. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
2. The Duke's Perfect Wife
3. The Many Sins of Lord Cameron
4. Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage

The chemistry between Eleanor and Hart can be felt even in Cam's book, and Ashley develops their relationship in an entire
Jan
Another enjoyable read in this series about 4 Highland Scottish brothers. Some of the story takes place in Scotland and some in England.

I liked the duke more than I thought I was going to. He was very controlling and manipulative, but there were reasons for this stemming from his past. As the book proceeded, he grew and developed as a person, and he mellowed quite a bit. I liked seeing the character growth. (view spoiler)
Annie
5+ STARS!!!

Posted on Under the Covers

Describe the book in three words

Suz: I love Hart...hmm or maybe Contains Hot Highlanders!

Annie: HART.IS.MINE.

Suz: ACTUALLY, I think you will find Hart is mine

*tug of war over Hart commences, Suz wins ofcourse, hehehe!*

The cover: Love it or Hate it?

Suz: Not a fan, I think that the other covers are better, especially Cam's book!

Annie: LOVE IT! It’s Paul Marron. In a Kilt. As Hart Mackenzie. Must I go on?

Hart Mackenzie: Sexy Dominant Highland God or Controlling
h o l l i s
This book.. this book.. sucks.

Sorry, that's harsh, I usually try to be a little more subtle and snarky about my critiques but wow. This is a textbook perfect example of a romance you cannot be invested in because the majority of the interactions between leads (both of whom drove me batty) were not remotely romantic.

"He's taking advantage of ye, lass."
"He is Hart Mackenzie. He cannot help himself." <-- oh yeah, look at me swooning.

Eleanor rambles nonstop, incessantly, ridiculously, obliviously, o
Daniella
Nov 20, 2015 marked it as hr-purgatory
Welcome to my HR Purgatory shelf !

In Roman Catholicism, the purgatory is where the souls of the dead wander in an indefinite state. They stay in such a state unless they "become fit for heaven" at some point. Similarly, this shelf is where books that I am warned about stay—untouched and unread—unless a very compelling reason forces me to read them.

***

Reason(s) for putting The Duke's Perfect Wife in this shelf:
Manwhore H is a manwhore. He wasn't celibate during the separation, while the h re
Catherine
*This is a joint review that was originally posted on Fiction Vixen*

Today Amy and I (Catherine) are talking about The Duke’s Perfect Wife. We both are such big fans of this series that we couldn’t resist doing a joint review for you guys. This is a conversational review, so we might reveal more than a regular review would, but spoilers will be kept to a minimum.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This was probably my least favorite of the Highland Pleasures series, and that would be because I didn't much care for either of the protagonists. Hart is rigid, high-handed, and arrogant, and Eleanor is manipulative. They both play emotional games with those around them, and I have a hard time connecting with characters like that. Still, it wasn't a terrible book, and I enjoyed reading about the Mackenzie clan, even if these were the lesser characters of the family. ...more
Karen
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

She was the only one in the wide world who knew the truth of Hart Mackenzie.

Loved this one too. Hart was not my favorite brother though. He was a bit difficult to like really. Gruff and dark. A bit over-controlling. He did love his woman though. He just didn't know how to show it. What a great series. I've loved all the books so far.
KatieV
I thought this would be a bit more edgy than it was. The hero was portrayed as much darker in earlier novels. Was a bit disappointed that he turned out to be your standard tortured historical hero with a few rather tame kinks shown.
Tanya Sridhar
3/5 stars.

I read this a while back, however I was so dissapointed that I stopped midway. I just recently picked it up again as I had started to read the following books.

I had previously been very excited to read this book as I liked Hart, and the little sneak peek we got of Eleanor in the Cameron's book had me intriuged. I am a sucker for a good old "reclaiming-lost-love" plots.

It's not bad, but I won't be singing praises for it either. I believe it's my expectations from this series and thes
edge of bubble
We've been told numerous times about Hart's dark desires. Here we are drowned in shame and darkness feelies. Then he just ties up the heroine and goes slow. Yea that's it. Isn't that considered a notch above vanilla nowadays? Have I gotten so jaded without realizing it? I'm curious if anyone found anything abnormal about Hart's sexual activities? ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
5*+++

I love this book. Hart and Eleanor's story is lovely! It was amazing reading about Hart and about how he realized what was really important in his life. Eleanor was a great heroine(that says smth. because I usually hate them or I'm indifferent :D), I loved how she stood up to Hart.

The whole Mackenzie family has great stories and I enjoyed reading them all.

Quotes I loved(only those that I remembered to write down)
“Papa is angry with Uncle Hart,” Aimee said as the door swung slowly shut again
Jilly
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I keep reading this series mainly to keep up with the character from the first book, Ian, and they have been pretty entertaining. But, this one was a little too contrived. I think the author decided to cash in on the 50 shades popularity here. The Duke is rich and likes to dominate. There is a lot of him thinking about tying her up, and then he does - with a cravat (ye old tie). Sound familiar? *eye roll*
Keri
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
10 +++ stars! WoW!!! WoW!! Just wow! I will make a lame attempt to review this book. Lady D, Dhes or Auntie will do this a 1000 times better than me. But if I don't say something I will explode or something. This is of course Hart's book. Hart is the book we have been waiting for, we adored Ian, Mac and Cameron's books and the ladies that finally tamed their wild Mackenzie hearts. But we knew that Hart's book was going to be special. It had to be, Hart after being head of his family for years, p ...more
Elizabeth (Liz)
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was very good, though it was not my favorite of the series!

This book seemed to lack the bit of sweeping historical romantic grandeur that the other books in the series have had. It just didn't feel as 'big' and 'important' as the other stories did, though I can tell that the author did try to accomplish that. I give her credit for the attempt.

Let's discuss Hart. It was almost like the author had Hart on a leash (ahem), and wouldn't let him loose to show his true devilish colors. Hart *was*

• Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • The Duke (Victorian Rebels, #4)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
  • The Last Wicked Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #5)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Once More, My Darling Rogue  (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #2)
  • The Temptation of a Highlander (Midnight in Scotland, #3)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance, historical mysteries, and urban fantasy as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have been translated into many different languages, and earned starred reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com and http://gard

Mackenzies & McBrides (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies & McBrides, #1)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #6)
  • Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)
  • The Stolen Mackenzie Bride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #8)
  • Alec Mackenzie's Art of Seduction (Mackenzies & McBrides, #9)
  • The Devilish Lord Will (MacKenzies & McBrides, #10)
  • A Rogue Meets a Scandalous Lady (Mackenzies & McBrides, #11)