Start by marking “Burnt Snow” as Want to Read:
Burnt Snow

Burnt Snow

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  251 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Sophie is in the last term of Year 11. She's used to moving around with her accountant father and free-spirited mother, so the move to a small town on the South Coast in NSW doesn't seem too out of the ordinary – at first.

But things are changing around Sophie. A new school means a new start – and she's tired of her mother's superstitions and control. Wh
Published September 1st 2010 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Burnt Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burnt Snow

Imogen
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was ridiculously good.

I managed to get a proof of this just before it was published, as I work in a bookshop, so I carried an enormous unedited manuscript around for a week until I finished it. I didn't even care, the book was THAT good!
The book is Australian, which is nice for a change and I immediately liked the main character, Sophie. It's been a while since I've read any really good paranormal young adult fiction, but this was brilliant. All the while when odd things are happening
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of those books that plays out like a movie when you read it. From the first line I was compelled to read and read until I had finished it and then I had that devastating feeling like I'd lost a friend (luckily I think that there will be more!). I really enjoyed the whole world that was created and fell in love with the characters- in particular a Mr Brody Meine...but I won't spoil it!
I highly recommend this book. Anyone who enjoys an exciting read complete with the supernatur
Mary Thomas
Great read but dissapointed the follow up book has not out yet
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
This was amazing! It was unbelievable. I have to hand it australian authors, they really know how to pace their novels. I remember picking it up at first and wondering '700 pages?!?' but then as I read the first page, then the second, then the third, then the first twenty I was hooked, Van Badham really does catch the readers attention.

So Sophie Morgon is the new girl at Yarrindi and Brody is the dark loner bad boy with a history. This is no Twilight novel. There is suspense, there is fear, the
Rachael
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
GREAT BOOK!!! I have read a lot of young adult-paranormal fiction and lately all the books have had the same Blah storyline, And you already know everything that is going to happen...Girl meets vampire. Girl falls in love with vampire. Girl has vampires baby. Teen angst and so on. But this book was a breath of fresh air, and I loved not knowing what was going to happen *sigh*. I cannot wait for the next book in the series. Oh and also an Australian author! I'm lovin the Australian authors :D
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Kara
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm going to start off this review by saying that it was a massive dispointment. I really wanted to love this book, and looking at the reveiws I was certain that I would. But I didn't. Not remotely.
Why? well, although the plot was interesting and original I am just sick of the whole:
- girl moves to a different town for some reason
-starts new school
- sees mysterious boy
- he has some secret
-hes hot
-falls for him
-he's dangerous for her
and so on, I hope you get the idea.
The characters in the b
Maddie
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, but I really did not like this book at all. The only reason I finished it is due to the fact it was set right near where I live and that was cool, seeing the mentions of places. However, the two-page paragraphs and a book that was 650 pages long but could have been 250... No thank you. Besides, most of the characters aren't well developed and no real bonds seem to be formed. Then all of a sudden she's on with this Brody dude and they've only spoken ten words to each other.

I wouldn't
Rayna
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a really entertaining book.

Sophie has just moved to a new school and has the chance to reinvent herself. Somehow, she falls in with a popular clique of girls and it seems like all her high school dreams have come true. However, there are complications.

First: Her controlling mother is acting stranger than usual and Sophie is beginning to suspect there's secrets about her family that she doesn't know. When she learns about the magic that runs in her family Sophie must decide what to do w
Nola
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very slow moving. Nonsensical regarding the amount of time it takes the daughter to ask the mother if she's a witch and the girls resistance to link magic with weird things happening. Frustrating.
  • Wolfborn
  • When Water Burns (Telesa, #2)
  • Nine letters long
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • Five Parts Dead
  • Thyla (Thyla, #1)
  • Angel Arias (Night Creatures, #2)
  • Tangled (Torn Trilogy, #2)
  • Little Paradise
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • Madigan Mine
  • Tommy Nightmare (The Paranormals, #2)
  • Darkwater
  • The Day After Forever
  • Apocalypse for Beginners
  • Living with the Bad Boy
  • The Crowded Shadows (Moorehawke Trilogy, #2)
  • Hunting Love
Van Badham's first novel, Burnt Snow was published by PanMacmillan in 2010. The second volume of the paranormal saga, White Rain, is released SOON. Van was born in Sydney and began her writing career as a playwright, staging her first professional play at 15. Her plays have appeared in Australia, the UK, Germany, the USA, Iceland, Slovenia, Austria and Switzerland. She has been staged at the Roya ...more
More about Van Badham...

“His eyes locked on mine and my voice went a few notes high when i said
"How could Ashley guess you were with me?"
Brody said, " Because I don't think she's blind."
We stared at each other. We were both breathing heavily.
With one step across the room, i seized his face and kissed him.”
3 likes
“You kissed Kylie" I protested
"Yes, I did. Right in front of you," he said, stepping forward again.
"Brody-"
Hi face was centimetres from my face. Every cell of my skin anticipated his touch. My head and back were pressed into the door. "You afraid of something 1919? You know I'm not going to do anything until you do.”
3 likes