Start by marking “Tribe (Todd Mills Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tribe (Todd Mills Mystery, #2)

Tribe

(Todd Mills Mystery #2)

All he remembered was the furtive encounter, the terror of discovery, the burning cigarette. . . and the voyeur on the fire escape plummeting to his death.  For twenty years, Todd Mills was safe, closeted, building his career as a two-time Emmy Award-winning TV reporter.  He had it all--until his double life became front-page news.  Since his lover's murder, Todd hadn't wo ...more
Published October 6th 1997 by Delta (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tribe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tribe

karlakolumna
This so-called "mystery" dragged enormously. It really bored me to tears, although I honestly had some hopes for it.
The storytelling was way too detailed and seemed to concentrate in quite an amazing fashion on the most uninteresting and unimportant bits, while, at the same time, I got an overall impression of reading an vastly superficial plot.
All this conservative and extremely annoying Bible talk certainly didn't help matters either. Yes, the Jehovah cult in this story is in the centre of the
Deanna Against Censorship
I had real problems with this second in the series.

Jeff: I love Jeff but please considering his actions in the first book, should not someoneeeeeee had explained why he was not in jail and if he was on probabion. He could not have still had his job. Just some info please.

Janice: Strong woman in the first book, but what a let down in this one. Her decisions upon the eve of her college semester in Europe where ridiculous even considering her age at the time. Her time with the (view spoiler)
Ami
This is just too soap opera-ish, with ex-lovers, secret/adopted son, kidnapped granddaughter, and whole thing with Jehovah Witness and Congregation. I am never such a fan of any LGBT story with religious theme. So this one, who's focusing on the bad guy being "evil" because of the Jehovah scriptures, that just doesn't sit well with me. It makes me feel uncomfortable and I think downplay the evilness of the guy (not because he's evil but because he's based on everything he's done due to his relig ...more
Suze
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another 3.5* read, again enjoyable with lots of twists and turns.
This one is all about fathers and children - Zeb and Ribka in particular, and Zeb's hope to escape the clutches of a cult he was brought up in. We also see Zeb's wife Suzanne's relationship with her father, the cult leader and the effects of parenthood on Todd and his family of friends.
With lots of snow about in a Minneapolis winter, it is not so much speedy car chases as slip and slide.
I did feel the menace of Rick and Paul, alway
Deidre
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick read. I haven't read the other in series. But i feel like some characters i didn't really get to know. Is it still a mystery if you kinda know halfway thru what's up? Still kept me interested enough to finish it.
ConM
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, crime, ku, mm-romance
Another fast, suspenseful read.
Jeff Correll
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just a big misfire.
Nina
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I guess it wasn't the best one of he series, though I have only read the first two so far.
But still I liked it.
I agree that it was too soap-opera-ish. It was just too much for one book; and then on the other hand there were passages that were telling the same thing over and over for pages. I think it wouldn't have been a bad idea to split it in two shorter books. I guess that would have made it a more pleasant read because it was hard to follow the plot.
But as I said I still liked it and I real
Ed
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-lesbian, reporter
#2 of Todd Mills series. Interesting flashbacks of gay journalist Todd Mils in his college days, attempting to deny his feelings and convince himself he is straight.

Todd Mills is taken by surprise when college sexual encounters reemerge to disrupt both his life and that of his best friend, lesbian attorney Janice Gray. Janice, it turns out, had a son either by Todd or by another classmate, who also had an affair with Todd. Now that son, Zeb, appears, desperate to protect his own baby daughter fr
Susinok
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt, mystery, romance
Wow! This book is filled with convoluted relationships, unexpected baby (and grand baby), a cult, and all sorts of inter-connections with the past.

OK now that I've let the story settle a bit. I did skim the cult crazies parts a bit.

Also the ending needed to be 3 more hours of story time. There was a vital conversation that was about to happen which ... DIDN'T HAPPEN! I hope some of the resolution comes out in the next book, which I've already started. Obviously it didn't slow me down at all.
Chris
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, mystery, not-mine, 2011, done
Pretty good gay mystery in which an old friend of Todd's reveals secrets kept since their college days as some creepy fundamentalists with nefarious intent close in. I didn't like this as much as I liked the first book - way too much time spent with the creepy fundamentalists.
Eric L Aust
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great couldn't put book down

Loved it kept me guessing all through who was the father and best was what happened on the fire escape I saw possibilities and . One was right but I never knew until end for sure.
Troy Daulton
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was the worst of the Todd Mills stories, but still a pretty good read.

It was kind of soap opera-ish with long lost children and ex-lovers.
Elvin
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The entire series is a great. I wish there were more!
Neet
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is the second in the Todd Mills series and really not the best ....
Ange
Michael Ivy
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A pseudonym used by Robert Alexander

Award-winning author R.D. Zimmerman has been nominated for two Edgars, two Lambda Literary Awards, and an Anthony. He has written ten previous novels, including Tribe and Closet (1996 Lambda Literary Award winner) in the Todd Mills series, six children's books, and created six bestselling mystery jigsaw puzzles. Raised in Chicago, he now lives in Minneapolis.

Todd Mills Mystery (5 books)
  • Closet (Todd Mills Mystery #1)
  • Hostage (Todd Mills Mystery, #3)
  • Outburst (Todd Mills Mystery, #4)
  • Innuendo (Todd Mills Mystery, #5)