Start by marking “Thirteen Reasons Why” as Want to Read:
Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  707,588 ratings  ·  50,259 reviews
Clay Jensen’s first love records her last words.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah’s voice explains that there are thirteen reasons she decided to end her
Audiobook, 7 pages
Published October 23rd 2007 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published October 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen Reasons Why, please sign up.
Jessica Ralph NOO! I had severe depression, anxiety, and paranoia when I first decided to read it. I thought, like I'm sure you are right now, that by having her…moreNOO! I had severe depression, anxiety, and paranoia when I first decided to read it. I thought, like I'm sure you are right now, that by having her read it she will realize she is not the only one going through things like this. However, AND I CANNOT MAKE THIS CLEAR ENOUGH, this will in NO WAY help her. Reading about a successful suicide will only push her further to the edge and reading the book in general with its negative connotation and emphasis on depression will only make it validate her depression even more. She will also feel that help is not possible, seeing as when Hannah asked for help she did not receive any, your friend will be detoured even further from asking. If you still think it might be helpful, I agree with one of the earlier comments by a user "Em", read it together and make sure she understands that this is one of the worst possible scenarios and let her know that you are there for her at all times to talk about anything. Primarily, you should advise an adult about the situation to ensure your friends safety, depending on how far gone she is, a book will not help to bring her back from where she is at. I hope everything works out, honestly.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Graciela
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  707,588 ratings  ·  50,259 reviews

Beth
I'm one of the very few people who strongly disliked Thirteen Reasons Why, so maybe I should explain to you why.

I hate Thirteen Reasons Why. And here’s why.

Most of all, it glamorises suicide.

I'm putting this at the top because I can't believe I missed it in my original review. And this is a controversial point, because most of my Goodreads friends, whose opinions I would hold up as gospel, loved this book for its realistic and harrowing portrayal of teen suici
Miranda Reads
description

Wow. What a b*tch.
But...But...Miranda...how can you not love, cherish and worship a suicide book? Hannah was so brave, she dealt with life the best way she could...
Blah, blah, blah.

Are you sitting down?

Good, cause things are about to get ranty.
HUGE MOTHER-EFFING DISCLAIMER:

If you absolutely loved this book or if you think it really helped you through a tough time - I have absolutely no problem with that.

You are completely (and utterly) entitled to your opinion on this novel - just like I'm entitled to hate it with every fiber of my being.
My hatreranty.blah.
Are
emma
THIRTEEN REASONS WHY I HATE THIS BOOK.

Note, 6/10/17: Tape #11 has been updated.

Alright. I really thought I wasn't going to review this book. But a status sharing certain anti-anti 13 Reasons Why sentiments (did that make sense?) just came up onto my timeline, and I, to put it cordially, fucking snapped.

Let m
karen
oh god, somebody buy this girl some perspective! oh wait, you can't because she's dead. and i, for one, am glad of it because this character would have grown up to be a rotten judgmental schoolmarmy horrorshow of an adult. just horrible.

and people love this book like cookies!

backtrack. plot: a girl kills herself. but before she goes, she makes a series of audio cassettes and mails them to an individual, with instructions to pass them along to the next person mentioned on the tapes, which are a chronicle of all the things tha
Emily May
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”

Sometimes it's hard to see why other people might dislike a book you enjoy, but with Thirteen Reasons Why, I can understand it perfectly.

It is told from the perspective of Clay, but is mostly about the life of Hannah - a girl who recently killed herself. After her death, Clay receives a set of cassette tapes on which Hannah explains the thirteen reasons why she decided to kil
Nina ♥
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: I did not like this book. If you did, and would hate it if someone (me) ranted and bitched about it, then DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW.

REVIEW: I don't know why this book is so popular. And I honestly don't know what all the rave is about. I heard so many great things about this novel, that's why I read it. While this was a good book, well written and all…the plot was just not good enough—no, the reasons leading to Hannah Baker killing herself were not believable enough for me. I mean sure, they di
Hannah
Oct 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I figured this deserved a real review.

I'm a bipolar chick. I'm a girl who has struggled with suicidal thoughts since she was nine years old at the very latest. And I just do not buy 13RW's representation of a suicidal girl. The very premise of the book is flawed to me; you don't kill yourself for REASONS, you kill yourself because there is a bug in your brain gnawing at you and sucking out any valuable thought you've ever had, and I never saw that kind of bug in Hannah. I saw a girl
C.G. Drews
EDIT AND UPDATE, 2017: I read this book back in 2014 when I was a teen and I hated it. I still hate it. My review is getting a lot of traffic atm so I'm just going to do a little update and leave you some links to better reviews that tell how problematic the story is:

Tweet thread on the problematic show.

Tweet thread on the problematic show.
Article on why it's dangerous.
Goodreads review on why it's seriously bad.

NOTE: I'm not responding to comments because wtf is going on in the comment section I have no idea. I'm sorry my review is more distraught and emotional than analytical and full of logical reasoning. I don't care if you like this book, but be respectful of people who say it's triggering, problematic, and sends a dangerous message about romanticising suicide and condoning revenge suicide. I have also had to talk someone down from killing themselves and let me tell you: It was the worst moment of my life. I still nearly cry when I think about it. Because if they'd gone ahead to kill themselves, would I be to blame? Any book that says that yes I would be to blame (like this book is saying) is poisonous.

Please don't read it if you've had suicidal thoughts or know people who've committed suicide. You won't be encouraged. You'll be triggered.

***

I absolutely loathed this book. And that’s saying something , because heck knows I always have positives to say about a book and I don’t like to judge them too harshly. But this one? No. I hated it. I hated the message the author was sending. I think it was wrong and cruel. Obviously, this is just my opinion! But I will enver recommend this book.

Obviously it’s about suicide. And I feel like the message was (so wrong ) that everyone is to blame for one person’s suicide. To a certain extent, that can be true. Bullying, however subtle and off-handed IS SO VERY WRONG. But Hannah’s whole send-the-tapes-to-the-people-who-were-involved-in-her-death was a very kamikaze effect. She was going down no matter what, SO let’s take some suckers along. I personally believe what Hannah did by sending those tapes out (view spoiler) was cruel and malicious bullying. She was just as guilty, and more so, then any of the kids that teased her, because she then ruined and destroyed 13 lives. I hate that.

I hate the message this book sends. I hate that it is OKAY for Hannah to have sent those tapes. I hate how she could have, potentially, sent 13 other people to kill THEMSELVES because of what she said about them on the tapes. I hate how Clay even GOT the tapes. (It was totally against the rules she set up.)

I was so angry and so distressed when I finished this book, it almost turned me off reading. Honestly. I’ve read 70 books this year, and it’s only April. I LOVE BOOKS. And this made me hate them oh-so-much. My opinion is definitely a minority, but I’m entitled to it, so, gah, I’m letting myself have a miniature rant for once.

This book is in no way okay.
Emma Giordano
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I REALLY REALLY LOVED THIS BOOK. I had heard very mixed things for some time and it seemed a lot of readers were very divided on this book, but I personally really loved it.

I do want to say I don't think this is 100% the best book in the world for depression/suicide, but I do believe it is an intersting narrative on how suicide impacts those affected, considering suicide is never a singular action. I also don't necessarily *agree* with the content of the book as guilting and blaming
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Update 7/10/15: A Conversation From Yesterday...

Co-Worker: "My kid just read this book and loved it. You are a reader, right? If you haven't read it, you should read it."

Me: "What's it called."

CW: "'Thirteen Reasons' or something. It's about suicide."

Me: Hmmmm, yeah I think that sounds familiar. Hold on lemme check.
*checking GR and finding review*

I see
Alex
Aug 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen Reasons Why This Book Sucks:

13. Poorly Sketched Supporting Characters: Hannah, the girl who killed herself, and Clay, the boy she sent her "suicide note" tapes to, were fairly believable and well-drawn individuals. But everyone else in the story seems interchangeable, with motivations that are never made clear or seem to constantly switch to serve the purposes of the plot. I couldn't tell the difference between Courtney Crimson and Jessica and Mr. Porter, if there was one, and I couldn't keep track/>13.
stephanie
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
Recommended to stephanie by: A.
eta 2: this is also the perfect book to listen to on audiotape. usually i am annoyed with audiobooks, but i enjoyed listening to this one almost as much as reading it, because i was hearing hannah while driving in my car, much the same way clay was. still love this book and it's boldness.

eta: for everyone that thinks hannah's suicide was unbelievable, or that the reasons were just stupid and petty, take a moment and think about how what happened could have been the impetus for suicide. it's not/>
Giselle
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. What an eye opener. In Thirteen Reasons Why we listen to audio tapes that was sent to 13 people by Hannah who committed suicide, to explain her reasons why.

First I want to mention that to all the reviewers who say that her reasons weren't "good enough" for her to kill herself, you're wrong. Everyone doesn't cope with situations the same way, and problems that may seem minimalistic to you, can send the next person into depression. We all have our own ways
Janina
When I tried to structure my thoughts to write this review, I discovered that it’s actually very hard to write something about a book I liked but didn’t love. I definitely have no hard feelings towards Thirteen Reasons Why but I also don’t really have anything to rave about. Which makes me feel a little conflicted about the rating. This book will stay with me for a while, it made me think, but it also had its flaws.

I thought the novel was based on an original and great concept. We have a simu
Elizabeth
Things that happened to make Hannah Baker kill herself:

1.) Someone made up a rumour that she let a boy put his hands under her shirt in a park. REPUTATION RUINED.
2.) Someone was taking pictures of her through her bedroom window and she reacted by posing with a friend as though they were giving each other sensual massages... with oils? PERFECTLY LOGICAL AND INTELLIGENT RESPONSE.
3.) Someone asked her to drive them to and from a party. HOW DARE THEY.
4.) Someone stole t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*******
(edited on 8/15/17 to add:)

My face, when everyone keeps coming on my review to tell me that my feelings about this book are "wrong."

A review is simply my opinion. I'm entitled to mine and you're entitled to yours and they don't affect one another in any way.

*******
(Original review from 10/20/14)

Hated it, hated it,class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Hatedadd:)
My
Miriam Smith
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kept-book
I bought "Thirteen Reasons Why" after hearing so much about it on the internet - and from my 3 sons - and I just knew I had to find out what the hype was all about for myself.
Actually I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and found it very compelling so I'm a little apprehensive about leaving a positive review after reading so many negative comments about it, but I suppose it is only everyone's opinion.
I started reading this book at bedtime and whenever I woke up during the night and thr
F
Feb 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, usa
I hope no one suicidal or anyone that has seen the effects of suicide ever reads this.
Hated this.
Melissa
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was very engrossing and suspenseful, but in the end it just pissed me off. I don't know how to put this in more delicate terms, so if I make my case rather bluntly or insensitively, I do so only because I don't want to tiptoe around what I really feel.

Basically, I understand why some people turn to suicide as the only option out. I understand the feeling of helplessness and misery that could make a person decide that taking herself out is the only way to stop the pain. But
Laura Herondale
I want to start off by saying that I'll be talking about both the book and season 1 of the tv show in this review. I also want to state that I watched the show before I read the book. This review will contain unmarked spoilers, but they're pretty minor. I will not be mentioning season 2 of the show, even though it's release is what made me want to write this, because I will not be watching season 2 of the show. I was diagnosed with Major Depression and Generalised Anxiety Disorder when I was 15, ...more
jessica
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
growing up, my parents taught me that no one but myself is responsible for my decisions. they are mine and mine alone. and that is a belief i still hold today.

which is why i found it so difficult to empathise with hannah and her ‘thirteen reasons why’ she committed suicide - each reason/tape entirely placed the blame on someone else and she took none of the responsibility for her own actions.

thats not to say people dont suck. yes, people can be mean and cruel and hurtful. but hannah
L A i N E Y
Lord. This was even worse than I thought it would be.

Hannah, I know you've been treated unfairly and you wanted to get back at the people who wronged you. But I was totally dumbfounded by this roundabout way of doing so which actually includes you losing your own life in the process.

All those preparations and time and planning.

Such a waste.

And Asher's writing didn't help the matter either: not suspenseful enough.

Madeline
Feb 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Christy
 photo stencil.facebook-post_zpscy26qutv.jpg
“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”
Thirteen Reasons Why is a book I’ve been meaning to read for about 5 years. My sister read it and told me I’d love it. I do love books that make me cry and since the book is being made into a Netflix series next month, I thought why not give it a go. As depressing as this one was, though- I didn’t shed one tear. I’m not sure what that says about me or the story. Honestly, I have conflicting feelings about the story
Matthew
I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on this book. The subject matter - suicide - is controversial. The show they made of this book is controversial. Because of that, I am going to avoid too much commentary on the subject matter and just say that the content of this book is serious and does affect teenagers in different ways. I didn't have the easiest if teenage years, but I made it through okay, so it would be easy for me to say that this story is an overreaction. But, I would be a fool to not un ...more
Elena
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Put me
underneath God's sky and
know me
don't just see me with your eyes
Take away
this mask of flesh and bone and
See me
for my soul

alone.

Trigger Warning: Suicide and rape.

For some reason, I've been in the mood to read books with a strong topic and subject, involving something personal or something I can relate to in any way; something I can feel emotions with. Thirteen Reasons Why really wasn't it. It wasn't an emotional book. I've heard it's such a sad book that
Alejandro
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, drama, romance
Nothing justifies suicide. Nothing.

This is the tenth anniversary edition of the novel which includes a new foreword by the author, along with some comments about the process of the original publication and even the original ending not used in the finished novel.

NOVEL V. NETFLIX: DAWN OF ADAPTATIONS

It’s not rare that if you haven’t read this novel before and now you’ll do it, it’s because the Netflix TV series, and that’s nothing wrong with that. Certainly films and TV series are great promoters when the/>
Michael Britt
Apr 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: if you read this book and it helped you, don't read on. This is not for you.

This book has one of the most dangerous messages out there. It glorifies suicide. And I find that utterly disgusting.

I almost didn't review this book, because it's a sensitive subject: teen suicide. Or even just suicide in general. One of the saddest things ever is when someone so young feels like they have no way out other than taking their own life. It's never the right answer, but I still
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒

Rating:

Review:

This novel was gripping since page 1. Even though I finished it like in 1 day and 2 sittings (I didn’t want to put it down) yet I am rating it 3 stars.
Hannah Baker was a newcomer in the town and school. Her reputation was tarnished by the guy (her senior) during her first days in the town. Later on, she was accused of betrayal by her new friend that she stole her guy (all three of them are classmates). That guy sort of used Hannah to make her ex jealous and to get back her. Hannah was devastated and fa
Luffy
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I distinctly remember reading a review for this book and I said to myself, "I can see myself reading it." So now that I've read it, what's my impression on it?

Back when the term YA was not widespread, I used to read Christopher Pike books. This book reminded me a lot of Pike's books. Chain Letter was a masterpiece.

It's a sad story. My heart goes out to Hannah Baker initially. Her character arc made me sad and sentimental. The book is full of suspense but the human element
All the Books!: Thirteen Reasons Why 5 19 Aug 12, 2019 10:43PM
Hannah, the Selfish Weak Girl? 51 1706 Jun 04, 2019 08:05AM
Who Was your favorite person and why? 11 85 Jun 04, 2019 08:03AM
Is suicide selfish? 124 2099 Jun 04, 2019 08:00AM

• Speak
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1)
  • Don't Breathe a Word
  • Where the Truth Lies
  • Fallout (Crank, #3)
  • Because I Am Furniture
  • Chasing Brooklyn
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies
  • The Rules of Survival
  • Seth Baumgartner's Love Manifesto
  • The Karma Club
Jay Asher was born in Arcadia, California on September 30, 1975. He grew up in a family that encouraged all of his interests, from playing the guitar to his writing. He attended Cuesta College right after graduating from high school. It was here where he wrote his first two children’s books for a class called Children’s Literature Appreciation. At this point in his life, he had decided he wanted t ...more
“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.” 4377 likes
“No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same.” 3486 likes