Start by marking “The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide” as Want to Read:
The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide

The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
At the centre of the critically acclaimed Fox drama House, British actor Hugh Laurie has become the focus of fans across North America, Britain, and Australia. Winner of the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Dramatic Series, honoured by the Queen with an Order of the British Empire, and one of People’s Sexiest Men Alive, Laurie has become an icon. But who is the man behind ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by ECW Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The House That Hugh Laurie Built, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House That Hugh Laurie Built

Wendy
Sep 06, 2012 added it
Shelves: nonfiction
I can't do it. I've tried to read bits of it, but it just can't hold my attention. For one thing, I already know all of this. For two, it's written like a love letter--I find it choking me with its hero worship. And finally, I kind of think House was a terrible show. It had potential, but wasted it. All of that makes it too hard to manage this book, so I quit. On to something else.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Quite interesting, but basically it's like someone's copy and pasted heaps of info off the net and formatted it all together to look pretty.
Fox Galv
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
DAMMIT . Se acabó. Porqueeeeé????
Paul
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I picked this one up for free after the series came to an end because it was very outdated, having been written after the third season, and thus I didn’t have particularly lofty expectations. The first third of the book is a biography of the major players in the show, focusing primarily, as one may have guessed from the title, on Hugh Laurie, but also giving us a glimpse into the lives of the supporting players and writer David Shore. Laurie’s biography is decent, but unmemorable, and contains f ...more
George Slade
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I would have given this 5 stars but it was too short on the biography section, particularly Hugh Laurie's. The format of the book is a short biography of Hugh Laurie, and then even shorter biographical sections about the main cast and the creator, David Shore. The rest of the book are episode guides to the first 3 seasons. Those were easy to glide through as I've seen the first three seasons at least four to five times.

If you're House fanatic, like I am, I recommend this one.
Indah Threez Lestari
Bacanya sambil nonton ulang House TV series...

Buku ini masuk rak biografi karena setengahnya terdiri dari biografi Hugh Laurie, ditambah sekilas biografi cast/writer serial TV House. Setengah buku sisanya bisa dibilang guidebook 3 season awal House MD, merangkum setiap episodenya dengan memorable scenes, kebohongan para karakter di episode tersebut (ingat: everybody lies!), dan tentu saja blooper dan medical mistakes (namanya juga serial teve). Lumayan berguna buat panduan acara nonton ulang 6 s
Mary
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The biography parts were really really interesting! I liked the explanations of other shows and movies' references. However, some facts in the episodes' description were misrepresented or sometimes even not truthful. Several author's biased opinions (at least it looked like it), tons of rhetorical questions don't really make the reading that awesome, especially in the third season. I gave 4 stars but only because I love the show itself.
Fallon
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviewed
This book was given to me by my professor/adviser who also loves House. Like me, he has seen every episode. Probably multiple times.

I loved learning more about Laurie and how he went about creating House, and the character. Learning about the show, the actors, and Hugh Laurie's own life was intriguing and I loved it.

Not to mention, it's got a great title.

If you love House, and Hugh Laurie, read this!
Doris
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting but I would have liked to see more about the character and the actor instead of the plot reviews, although those were interesting.

I read an excellent magazine article on this man/series a couple of years ago, and wish I could remember which magazine, as it would have been a good source for this book.

Overall I didn't feel the book did enough background.
NightAuditMan
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I would have liked a more expanded bio of all cast memebers, but did make do with what was written. The episode discussions were interesting but not a real page turning kind of read. If yer a fan then by all means pick it up, otherwise you might want to wait for an authorized bio.
Billy Parrish
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a good book learning a little bit about Hugh Laurie before his role as Dr. House. I really liked the episode guide in the back for the first 3 seasons of House.
Jan
Sep 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Well, I love House so I loved reading the behind the scenes stories and profiles of the actors. I wish there had been more of that and not the play by play of the episodes.
Kim
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Fun beginning and some interesting tidbits about each episode, but not a front-to-back read for me
Bonnie Morse
  • House, M.D.: The Official Guide to the Hit Medical Drama
  • Prison Break: The Classified FBI Files
  • حسن ومرقص
  • Somebody: The Reckless Life and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando
  • Hollywood Hellraisers: The Wild Lives and Fast Times of Marlon Brando, Dennis Hopper, Warren Beatty, and Jack Nicholson
  • Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants
  • Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-Job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior Into a Raging Homosexual
  • Luck and Circumstance: A Coming of Age in Hollywood, New York, and Points Beyond
  • Clint Eastwood: A Biography
  • House and Philosophy: Everybody Lies
  • Behind the Bell: Behind the Scenes of Saved by the Bell with the Guy Who Was There for Everything
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Home Alone
  • An Improvised Life: A Memoir
  • The Accidental Feminist: How Elizabeth Taylor Raised Our Consciousness and We Were Too Distracted by Her Beauty to Notice
  • Beauty, Disrupted: A Memoir
  • Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  • Tangled (Disney's Tangled)
Challen, Paul, 1967-
Challen, Paul C. (Paul Clarence), 1967-

Paul Challen lives in Dundas, Ontario.
More about Paul Challen

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99