Start by marking “One Bird's Choice” as Want to Read:
One Bird's Choice

One Bird's Choice

Meet Iain Reid: an overeducated, underemployed twenty-something, living in the big city in a bug-filled basement apartment and struggling to make ends meet. When Iain lands a job at a radio station near his childhood home, he decides to take it. But the work is only part time, so he is forced to move back in with his lovable but eccentric parents on their hobby farm. What ...more
Published September 11th 2010 by House of Anansi Press

To ask other readers questions about One Bird's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Bird's Choice

Start your review of One Bird's Choice
Joanne
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada
I don't even remember where I heard of Iain Reid but I found two of his books at the library last week and read them back to back. I love them.

This is his memoir of the year he moved back home with his parents when he was underemployed. His parents own a hobby farm called Lilac Hill, and it is within commuting distance of his part-time job with the CBC in Ottawa. So Iain came home, at first for the summer, but it stretched to a full year. This book was so funny that I laughed out loud several ti
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
4.0 Stars
This is wonderful, quiet memoir where very little happens. The chapters cover topics from food to farm chores to VCR tapes. Yet, this short book still manages to be memorable, sweet and poignant. The author's anecdotes about his parents are funny and adorable.

This book felt reminiscent of the Canadian Sitcom, Corner Gas, which about a sleepy small Canadian town where there is also "not a lot is going on". I think Canadian readers, particularly underemployed young people, will connect m
Josephine
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
The subtitle says it all in a nutshell: a year in the life of an overeducated, underemployed twenty-something who moves back home.

On the back cover describes Iain Reid's "One Bird's Choice" as "a hilarious and heartwarming memoir that bridges the divide between the boomer and boomerang generations."

You know what that made me think of?

This passage from the book, where Reid is reading out some of the "funny" material that he's been working on to a friend:

Here's the thing: if something actually
Doriana Bisegna
While at the Kingston Writers Fest, I discovered a new author who has written two books about the most mundane subject matter...moving back home and a holiday with his grandmother spent in his basement apartment for a week. After listening to him talk about his book The Truth About Luck, I knew that I was hooked. One Bird's Choice (his first book) is a total laugh fest and a real treat to read. He recounts the year he spent at his family's farm in Ontario amongst every kind of livestock and dome ...more
Kora
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
a breezy, lighthearted read that my mom gave to me because i, too, am a "boomerang" who left my apartment in the city to move back home to my parents' house in the ontario countryside. i've been living at home longer than a year but "one bird's choice" still resonated with me. as my mom said, "it's nothing earth-shattering, but it's cute" and i think that sums this memoir up quite well.

an easy, enjoyable read. just what i was looking for.
Janet Hutchinson
A humourous account of moving back home as an unemployed mid-twenties man. I quite liked his parents - their rhythm and conversations feel very familiar. Perhaps it is just the way many years married couples communicate. At any rate, an enjoyable read.
Kait
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farm-lit, can-lit, animals
I really enjoyed the premise of this book—mostly because, at the ripe old age of 23, I’m ready to move to the country and run a hobby farm. It appealed to me for the same reason that I loved books like The Woefield Poultry Collective , Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life , and Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own . (I’d recommend this to you if you enjoyed these books, and vice versa.) To me there is something compelling about a quiet life on the farm or rural ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
As Thomas Wolfe said " You can't go home again." Or can you? Iain Reid is 27, highly educated and highly unemployed. He accepts a summer job with CBC radio. But it really doesn't pay a lot....and his parents live very close by.....so the decision is made to move in with them for the summer. The summer comes and goes ...and before you know it - a year has passed.

One Bird's Choice is the memoir of that year. What struck me first was Iain's descriptions of his parents, their conversation, actions a
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Writers, animal lovers, hobby farm enthusiasts
Recommended to Jennifer by: House of Anansi and Groundwood Books
The subtitle, for this work of non-fiction is: A Year in the Life of an Overeducated, Underemployed Twenty-Something Who Moves Back Home. From this, I think, people are going to jump one of two ways in assessing a book by its cover. People might think "Oh great! Another indulged kid, under thirty, likely with an arts degree can't get it together in the real world so runs home to mommy and daddy!" Some of this is true. He does have an arts degree (Queen's University) and he is indulged, by his pa ...more
Mark
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading One Bird's Choice on recommendation from a friend. It’s about a 27 year old University graduate moving back home to his parent’s hobby farm for the first time since high school. What starts as a few week plan, turns into a really funny full year. The book takes you through the 4 seasons and the eccentric routines that come from living on a farm - from fighting off hens in the chicken coop, to helping sheep give birth, to making sure the 2 dogs and 3 cats are happy and hea ...more
Danielle
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Iain Reid would never in a million years consider being “one of those guys.” You know the ones, they’re out of school with no real job or ambition and back living with their parents. Suddenly, and almost without warning, he’s back with his parents at their farm tending the animals and working at a local radio station a couple days a week. With nearly no plans for the future and dwindling prospects at his current job will Iain’s summer stay at Mom & Dad’s turn into something more permanent? Is he ...more
Loriepaddock
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a 30-something having to move back home while between jobs to appreciate this book. Anyone who's taken - or has had it 'required' of them to take - a 'time out' to rethink, recalibrate or reconsider where they are in their lives and perhaps consider the challenges and benefits of changing course will find that this story resonates. Again, Iain Reid, provided a lovely, thoughtful, worthwhile read. And I learned something about hens, too.
Jane Mulkewich
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another book by Iain Reid, which I also liked very much! And again he mentions his sister who lives in Iceland. I would tell you why it is called "One Bird's Choice" but that might be too much of a spoiler. Suffice to say he goes home for a year as a 20-something to live on his parents' farm in the Ottawa valley (this is obviously just before he moves to Kingston and invites his 92-year-old grandmother for a staycation - see my review of The Truth About Luck).
David
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, that didn't take long! This year in Iain Reid's life where he goes back to living with his parents as a 27 year old on their farm was quite enjoyable. His parents (like everyone's) are quirky enough to amuse. As well are the animals on the farm. There's nothing earth shattering here. Reid is just a very good writer who really knows how to tell a good, humorous story. It's a light, easy read that you will suck you in very quickly.
Cheryl Wilks
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book very much. In fact I finished the book and started reading it all over again. The book is one that spoke to my mother’s heart. I sympathized with the author having to move back home, yet I enjoyed his sense of humour and the loving family interaction. It is definitely a book I wish to read again.
. It was a book well written showing the author’s creative ability of things to come.
Rochelle
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because it seemed like it would be a charming slice of life story, set in familiar settings.

It turned out to be boring. Dull. Not actually funny. It attempts to be humourous or quirky but fails at it. It's mostly a lot of whining about everyday things. The whinging of a privileged person who has no motivation to do much of anything. Rather than finding the conversations with his parents charming, they mostly are just stifling and irritating. Couldn't finish reading.
Nancy
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
So much whining and complaining. Not funny, not insightful, not even interesting. Too lazy to get up early enough to get to work on time? No wonder this guy couldn't get a job. Underemployed? Nope, just unemployed and too spoiled to take jobs that don't utilize his university skills. I felt sorry for his parents. They seemed happy. It irked me that the author tried to depict them as humorous and quirky. They seemed pretty normal to me.
Chelsi
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was exactly the read I needed after finishing graduate school. I too am an unemployed, overeducated, twenty-something. Despite our mutual woes, this book was relaxing and actually quite inspiring. Maybe I'll try my hand at a memoir too, some time.
Heidi Cornel
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as humorous as I had hoped. Not a lot of substance.
Lea Love
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So fucking funny. Laugh-out-loud-wake-your-wife-up-in-bed kind of book.
Sarnfield
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Just okay...some bits were rather heart warming, other parts just kinda dull. I liked his parents, quirky and quietly content with their lives. Something to be learned there.
Catherine
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
Oh I laughed and laughed, this was really close to home for me.
Arlene
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tanya
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
With a degree under his belt, Iain Reid is on the hunt for a job. When he gets an offer from CBC radio, he jumps at the opportunity. But, because it’s only a part-time job, he moves back to his family’s farm in order to save on living expenses.

One Bird’s Choice is a memoir of Iain’s time with his parents – finding himself back in his childhood room, interacting with his parents, settling into a retirement lifestyle while his friends are partying in big cities or well on their way to superstar c
Vera at LuxuryReading.Com
Twenty-something Iain Reid was underemployed, broke and going nowhere fast, despite a college education under his belt. With few prospects, Iain decided to take a summer position as a weekly book reviewer on CBC Radio in Ottawa, Canada. The job also meant moving back in with his parents on their rural farm.

Summer quickly turned into fall, and before he knew it, Iain was welcoming spring - still on his parents 19 farm. While his summer gig did turn into a temporary stint as an associate producer,
Samantha March
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I don’t usually read memoirs, One Bird’s Choice by Iain Reid was recommended to me from a friend, so I decided to give it a try. Iain describes himself as “an overeducated, underemployed twenty-something, living in the big city in a bug-filled basement apartment and struggling to make ends meet.” He finds part-time employment at a radio station near his parent’s home, and decides to bite the bullet and move in with them to help save money. While Iain was hoping for a temporary move, his st ...more
Alexis
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Mixed feelings about this one, for a number of reasons. First, I sometimes felt that Iain was really whiny and he bothered me. This is the story of a 27-year-old who moves home to his parents' farm for a year. I sometimes related to how he felt about his parents and how he portrayed them, and sometimes I felt he was being a bit harsh. (However, the scene where his mom gets a computer was so true that I felt myself nodding)

The book also affected me because of how much I related to it. When I was
Gemma Alexander
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
One Bird’s Choice is about moving back home for a year of semi-employment to regroup when the writing thing wasn’t really working out. Unlike many millennials, Reid is old enough to be embarrassed about living with his parents, so he can see the humor in the situation, and because he’s a good writer, he doesn’t spare himself at all. He can admit to playing to win in a hockey game against third graders, playing the role of village idiot at Christmas (“How are things at NASA? Did you know Iain is ...more
Eliza Fayle
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I am sure a number of us have experienced this. You think your offspring have left the house for good, then SPROING they are back. Do a Google search on Boomerang Generation and you will get a lot of helpful articles on how to adjust to your kids returning home, what to expect, what you might be thinking and feeling, etcetera, etcetera.

But what is like from the perspective of the returning young adult? One Bird’s Choice gives us that perspective.

There is zero sense of entitlement attitude in One
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Great God Pan
  • The Cases That Haunt Us
  • North American Lake Monsters
  • Dark Matter
  • Reproduction
  • The Good Mothers: The True Story of the Women Who Took on the World's Most Powerful Mafia
  • The Innocents
  • From the Ashes
  • Watching You Without Me
  • The Defense (Eddie Flynn #1)
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
  • Dual Citizens
  • Women Talking
  • Good Wives
  • Rainwater
  • Abandon
  • Citrus County
Iain Reid is the author of two critically acclaimed, award-winning books of nonfiction. His debut novel, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, was an international bestseller, and was translated into more than a dozen languages. Oscar-winner Charlie Kaufman is writing and directing the film adaptation for Netflix. Foe is Reid's second novel.

News & Interviews

“We all know writing is a reclusive, lonely endeavour. It just is. But nobody writes alone.” 16 likes