Start by marking “It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It” as Want to Read:
It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It

It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  5,178 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
After his triumphant All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, Robert Fulghum returns with a richer, more mature, more strikingly memorable collection of essays guaranteed to provide hours of heart-warming, humorous entertainment. Villard.
Published March 2nd 1991 by Ivy Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It

natalie
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
prostě Fulghum no...

u něj už mě nic nepřekvapí. někdy se u knihy směju tak, že se na mě lidé v autobuse otáčejí.

chci mít třetího dědečka - Fulghuma.
Elaine Neal
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First let me just say that I've had this book on my bookshelves for 20+ years. I've always wanted to read it, but somehow I always had another one more pressing. Recently I have been viewing my extensive bookcase with the purpose of culling down the read-then-gift titles. The time had arrived.
What a pleasure it was to read the thoughtful, charming and totally spot on musings of a gifted author. Published in 1988, today it would more likely appear as a blog of insightful thoughts by a talented wr
Amanda
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember my mom found this book in my room when I was in sixth or seventh grade (I had stolen it from my grandparents house) and FLIPPED OUT. She never did give it back to me or bother to find what it actually was about (much less apologize). She just thought the title was naughty and reflexively banned me from reading it. Ha! I didn't mind much- I had already read it like 20 times.

Marky
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, favorites
Celá recenze: http://marky-books.blogspot.be/2016/0...
~~~
Reakce po dočtení: Zkusila jsem opět audioknižní podání - hlas mi sice neseděl, ale hudební doprovod byl skvělý. Lepší než školka to není, ale geniální rozhodně ano :D
~~~
Hodnocení: 4,5 hvězdičky
James Adams
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-non-fic
A collection of short, uplifting essays from the author of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.
You may have noticed that I've been reading a few uplifting, heartstring-tugging, life-affirming books recently, like 700 Sundays and Tuesdays with Morrie. Why? Have I been depressed or something?
Yeah, yeah I have. It's been a rough year, including a couple of hospitalizations and a relocation (to small-town Texas, sadly) to move back in with my mom after ten years of independence in De
Erin
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very hopeful group of essays by the author of "All I Really Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten." He shares insights from his life, people he randomly met, lists of things to be thankful for, and amusing stories. He made me laugh and cry and the laugh and cry. I found myself writing down pages that I want to read again, even though it is a library book. I really needed this book this month and I thought it was wonderful.

Have you ever heard of John Pierpont? As Fulghum explains, Pie
Jeana
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeana by: Christie
This is a sweet, hopeful book of little essays. It's the kind of book you can keep in your purse for when you have a moment (and just a moment, as most of the stories are quite short) and pull it out and be renewed. Some of the stories are definitely better than others. But there's a lot of different stuff in here and I think it's the kind of stuff you reflect upon as life goes on. Thank you, my friend Christie, for giving me this book and this part of you. I especially loved the John Pierpont s ...more
Lauren
This is an odd little book of half-baked "essays" that read much more like diary entries or the very bare bones of a manuscript with the potential to be very good. As it stands, though, it's not quite there. The oddity has large aspirations, quirky and valid insights, but.... It just doesn't quite reach the rung it strives for on the literary ladder, and it shows very plainly and can be kinda painful to witness. Just as it gets to the good bits, it abruptly drops off. With a little fine-tuning, ...more
Rose
Sep 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book and great author. He also wrote "All I need to know I learned in Kindergarten". This book consists of short stories that he takes from his personal life and are often humorous (especially the story about the mother of the bride), sad, or thought provoking. It is a quick read with each chapter only being 1-2 pages.

I found the author to be a deep thinker and jack of all trades and master of none. His bio says he has held over 20 jobs in various capacities.

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
"We are the only creature that both laugh and weep. I think its because we are the only creatures that see the difference between the way things are and the way they might be. Tears bring relief. Laughter brings release."

I enjoyed reading his books. I specially like the story about the handsome brother and the toad brother, i shed tears of joy when i was reading that part.

This book teaches us about lessons in life also hardships, struggles and simple joys.
Mark
In my mind, Fulghum laid a whopper on us back in kindergarten. Now he takes us to being grownups having responsibilities. His advice on making marriage real is valuable.

Much of the book is rambling patter, unmemorable as a whole. Watch for gems of wisdom held beneath the surface. These aren't always subtle, but sublime and explicit.
Cherie Palmer
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When ever I need to laugh and put life back into perspective, I read Fulghum!
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Skeptical at first, but well written, witty, fun, and made me laugh out loud!
Michael
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-non
Not quite the magic of "...Kindergarten", but still a delight.
Jessica
Another great installment. I love the story about Rosa Parks, it is emotional and profound. It stays with you for awhile after reading it.
Pet
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
re-reading - o trosicku zabavnejsi nez skola
Abbott
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book was recommended to my fiancee and I by our marriage counselor as a way to add some levity and humor to the stress of wedding planning. I read the introductory story (from whence came the title) online as a preview, and I was cackling out loud just about every paragraph. The story about the wedding gone awry (not a bride-zilla but a mother-of-the-bride-zilla) was especially poignant for the time in my life that I read it; what a hilarious reminder of what's really important about your w ...more
David
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: factual
Series of very gentle stories with a strong moral message behind them. Shows it's age quite badly as it's very WASPish in nice way, it was written in 1989 and published in 1990, and deals with a world that has since passed us by. Indeed for many that world never really existed apart from in small confines of the USA. Worth a quick read as most of the messages are still important today, just out of context!
Brennan Sigel
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short stories/vignettes are heartwarming, inspiring, and hilarious. Strangers caught me laughing out loud on two different occasions. I have had this sitting on my bookshelf for about 14 years, and I am so glad I picked it up. I am in the midst of purging my bookshelves, however this one will remain on my shelf so that I can go back and reread my favorites
Cynthia
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best combination of essays I've read in a long long. Every story gives off a different vibe and it comes with all sort of emotions.
This book definitely made all my couple of very busy weeks bearable so THANK YOU Robert Fulghum
Drew
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent to good for the most part, but I'm a very different person now, at 42, than I was wheb I was 12 or so and first enjoyed a Robert Fulghum book. I'll always have good memories of my junior high days reading his stuff, but this refresher didn't really live up to the nostalgia.
Simone
A very nice collection of stories often funny, sometimes sad and always beautiful.
Cynthia
Read this book at work. Enjoyed it. Amusing, entertaining and on occasion inspirational.
Anna
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Přesnĕ taková oddychová jednohubka, jakou jsem čekala. Člověk se párkrát zasměje, parkrát dojme, trochu závidí autorovi jeho nadhled, ale na jednotlivé příběhy spíš rychle zapomene...
Helen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hilarious
Minde123
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nemám slov. Miluji Fulghumův nadhled. Naprosto úžesné feel good čtení. :)
Hanča
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobooks, cz
I liked some parts more than other, but overall it was very pleasant and heartwarming book. I understand why so many people here love Fulghum so much.
Mommooshka
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable, light read by Robert Fulghum. Great for reading in bits and pieces as time allows.
Jim Townsend
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great book; so many truisms with a couple of laugh-out loud moments thrown in. I think I'm reading him backwards. I need to read All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.
Carolyn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not nearly as good as "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" also by Fulghum. This book didn't seem to flow.
  • At Wit's End
  • Fatherhood
  • A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
  • Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up
  • Saturnin
  • Loving Each Other
  • Wry Martinis
  • The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide
  • Chili Dawgs Always Bark at Night (MM to TR Promotion)
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • It's a Mens World
  • A Primer of Jungian Psychology
  • Couplehood
  • A Piece of My Heart: The Stories of 26 American Women Who Served in Vietnam
Robert Fulghum is an American author, primarily of short essays.

More about Robert Fulghum

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
“Then he read the words of the scroll slowly, first in Japanese and then carefully translated into English:

'There is really nothing you must be.
And there is nothing you must do.
There is really nothing you must have.
And there is nothing you must know.
There is really nothing you must become.
However. It helps to understand
that fire burns, and when it rains,
the earth gets wet. . . .'

'Whatever, there are consequences. Nobody is exempt,' said the master.”
56 likes
“I often say that I don't worry about the meaning of life--I can't handle that big stuff. What concerns me is the meaning in life--day by day, hour by hour, while I'm doing whatever it is that I do. What counts is not what I do, but how I think about myself while I'm doing it.” 55 likes