Start by marking “Away From Her: Collection” as Want to Read:
Away From Her: Collection

Away From Her: Collection

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A collection of short stories.
Published 2007 by Penguin Books Canada (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Away From Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Away From Her

Carolyn
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Alice Munro's luminous, precise, unforced and simple prose conveys so much insight into the human condition. Every tiny detail of the physical and emotional landscape is significant. Her characters, mostly female, develop before our eyes, moulded by chance encounters, betrayal, lust or other small yet significant events. Sometimes the scenes moves back and forth over time, and memory is often a factor in her storytelling.
I loved this collection. Each story distils more truth than one would norma
Bookshop
Jul 29, 2007 rated it liked it
I am often tempted by great literary names in an attempt to be culturally sophisticated. This is one of the occasions. While browsing at Indigo, I thought this book was one good buy: I was in Canada; she was one of the greatest Canadian authors; and the book, particularly the title story, was highly acclaimed.

This is my first Munro and it took me a while to get used to her style. She, I read further, apparently specializes in telling stories about the changes that happen in people's lives. She
Mike Smith
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This collection of short stories was originally titled Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories, but was re-titled Away From Her after the movie of the same name based on the story "The Bear Came Over the Mountain" (in this collection, the story is also re-titled).

I wouldn't say there's a common theme running through these stories, but many of them deal with love, chances taken, or opportunities missed. The title story, Away From Her, surprised me by having a different tone t
Maggie
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada, nobel, 2014
I keep trying to puzzle out how the author created memory. How did she do it? and in a way that was somehow both unflinching and gentle? I think of trying to draw what I see in my peripheral vision. The things I draw from the edges of my sight lose their sense of periphery. Memories of the past seem to do the same thing. As I detail them, they become too tangible, not memories anymore at all. Yet with this book, I felt I didn't just read about the experiences of the characters, I remembered them ...more
Janice Thoroughgood
Feb 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
After much avoidance I gave up on this book with two short stories to go.

I can't put a finger on what was so unappealing to me. I'm still undecided on weather or not to see the film of the same title.
Noel Charchuk
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had read this story earlier this year in a collection. It was titled The Bear Comes Over the Mountain there.

It was very interesting to read Sarah Polley's foreword to this edition, and her reaction to the story.

Another of Munro's great tales.
Debbie
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good book but couldn't really connect to the characters although I will say that the end scene where the husband comes to visit her in the home is powerful.
Danielle Adams
Jun 17, 2012
Anubhab Banerjee
Oct 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter
More about Alice Munro...