Start by marking “The Murder of Tutankhamen” as Want to Read:
The Murder of Tutankhamen

The Murder of Tutankhamen

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  641 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Tutankhamen conjurs all the fascination that people have with Egypt. Ironically very little is known about the boy king.He was born in one of the most traumatictimes in Egypts 3000 year history. The nations religion was changed to montheism, as was the nations capital city. Leading egypotologist Bob Brier brings to life the dramatic story of Tutankhamen , the " boy king " ...more
Published June 7th 2010 by Berkley (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder of Tutankhamen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder of Tutankhamen

Rachel
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: egyptology
So this is a really cool, interesting book. However, it is outdated. New research has evidence to prove that Tutankhamen was not murdered. However, it goes into great detail about his life, his wife's story-which is really interesting. So I would recommend this book for the knowledge you gain concerning his life-Just ignore the stuff about his death. :)
Chris
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ah, those silly anicents, leaving great treasures buried but forgetting to mark the X on the map. Poor Tut, he should've copyrighted his own death, considering how many people seem to make money off of it. Or maybe Egypt should've.

I must have seen the documentary that Brier did that inspired his book. I know I have seen his other specials. His like Simon Schmna, interesting to listen to but something about those mannerisms.

Brier's book is quite easy to read, and while he writes for an non-Egypt
Randee
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-egypt
My passionate obsession with all things ancient Egyptian, particularly the 18th century, particularly Akhenaten, has never diminished since I was around 7-8 years old. I found this book at a used bookstore for $5 and was thrilled to add it to my collection as Dr. Brier is a well known Egyptologist. As many others have stated, DNA has more or less proved that Tutankhamen, the son of Akhenaten and one of his sisters, was not murdered by his vizier, Aye; it's still an interesting book with some goo ...more
The Badger
Sep 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this ages ago, imagining a strong, virile king cut down in his prime. However, over 20 years later, we now know that the young king had serious physical deformities, suffered from malaria, and was inbred. He would have walked using a cane due to a club foot. Even the theory that Tut was murdered is now in question.

This is a good reference to read regarding the recent CAT scan and DNA analysis:
Kristin Clifford
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've read a few books about Tut, the rockstar of Egyptology. This was one of the better ones - it looks at his death from the point of forensics and makes an interesting case for murder. Better still, the books gives a great, interesting and detailed overview of the events in Egypt thousands of years before and well after Tut's death, including a good chunk on the Amarna period.
John
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1history, box5
Although his theories have been disproved in the past two years - the book is a great read and his material on the 18th dynasty is great.
Barbara
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: archaeology
Nicely written but the title is wrong. Less then 15 % actually is about the murder and who could have done it. The rest is about his life and his ancestors.
Michael Joosten
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The populist draw to read this book is the salacious idea of Tutankhamen's murder and Brier capitalizes on it, but even where science may have since invalidated his theory (an outcome he considered possible and prepares the reader to consider), his book remains eminently readable because it is also engagingly-written and a concise history of both Ancient Egypt through the dawn of the 20th Dynasty and of Egyptology through Howard Carter. Brier is able to open up for the lay reader a wealth of inf ...more
Nikki
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flicked through this again, in the same vein as I flicked through the Christiane Desroches-Noblecourt book yesterday. Reread bits of it. I believe the actual theory is discounted now, due to more high-tech scans, but it's still interesting, because it doesn't solely seek to pose the theory that Tutankhamen was murdered -- there's a lot about his life, too, and that of Akhenaten (now confirmed to be his father, I believe?).

Very exciting stuff for me, when I was younger, and still interesting when
Kristen Coffin
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-egypt
"The characters live and breathe; you feel you know them."

So even though this book is from the late 90s and information in here might be outdated (and might continue to become more outdated as time goes on), it is still such an interesting read. It delves a lot into King Tut's relationship with his sister-wife (a lot of which I didn't know, because much of the focus on him in school when I was young was simply about Carter and the discovery of his tomb). Even the science behind his potential mur
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Hatchepsut: The Female Pharaoh
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Akhenaten: King of Egypt
  • What Life Was Like on the Banks of the Nile: Egypt, 3050-30 BC
  • A History of Ancient Egypt
  • Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • Cleopatra: A Biography
  • The Lost Tomb
  • The Keys of Egypt: The Race to Crack the Hieroglyph Code
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • Ancient Egypt
  • The Mummy: A Handbook of Egyptian Funerary Archaelogy
  • Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaohs' Tombmakers
Robert Brier (born December 13, 1943), also known as Mr. Mummy, is an American Egyptologist specializing in paleopathology. A Senior Research Fellow at Long Island University/LIU Post, he has researched and published on mummies and the mummification process and has appeared in many Discovery Civilization documentaries, primarily on ancient Egypt.
Born and raised in The Bronx, New York, Brier earned