Start by marking “Politics, Murder, and Love in Stalin's Kremlin: The Story of Nikolai Bukharin and Anna Larina” as Want to Read:

Drawing from Hoover Institution archival documents, Paul Gregory sheds light on how the world's first socialist state went terribly wrong and why it was likely to veer off course through the tragic story of Stalin's most prominent victims: Pravda editor Nikolai Bukharin and his wife, Anna Larina.
Published April 1st 2010 by Hoover Institution Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Politics, Murder, and Love in Stalin's Kremlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politics, Murder, and Love in Stalin's Kremlin

Steven
Oct 15, 2010 Steven rated it it was amazing
In an accessible, concise manner, Dr. Gregory details the relationship between Bukharin and Stalin, and its deterioration from the late 1920s until Bukharin’s eventual execution in 1938. What makes this book so accessible is the fact that the story is incredibly personal, with Dr. Gregory using actual correspondence, which allows the cast of characters to tell their own story. To make the story even more personal, the book details the effects that these trials had on Bukharin’s young wife, Anna ...more
Nora
Jun 22, 2011 Nora rated it liked it
The purpose of this book was very unclear to me. In the introductory notes, the author states that he is writing for a general audience rather than an academic one, but the narrative does not bear this out. The text jumps around in time a lot; events that happen in 1934 are referenced before events that happen in 1929, then the author goes back to a semi-chronological narrative. The text is wonderfully cross-referenced and the evidence is solid, but if the author was intending to show "the horro ...more
Guinevere Nell
Mar 06, 2015 Guinevere Nell rated it liked it
The primary reason for the low rating for a Paul Gregory book -- someone who I admire and enjoy, respect and generally trust -- is the short length, the relatively light (if not superficial) level of the biographical story. Some will appreciate this I'm sure, but for me it left me craving more, and not really in a good way. He could have delved deeper - I am certain, because the information is out there - Anna wrote a massive autobiography herself.

Perhaps it was my fault - I should have checked
Amber
This book is exceptionally dry--historical (rather than analysis of current issues, which is the type I tend to read) non-fiction, and not at all literary. I learned a lot about Stalin and his rise to power, but I didn't find Bukharin or Larina as compelling as I think was intended, plus I found their relationship somewhat skeevy.
John
Aug 29, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
This book put a face on the Great Terror. Stalin is quoted as saying, "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic." Gregory's store of the relationship between Stalin and Bukharin besides being well researched and effectively told, makes the tragedy of the death of millions very understandable.
marco
marco rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2017
Milosav Miki
Milosav Miki rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Suffragette
Suffragette rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Toby Brain
Toby Brain rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Scott Gray
Scott Gray rated it really liked it
May 11, 2017
Susanna
Susanna rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
Randall S. Cheloha
Randall S. Cheloha rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Yashar
Yashar rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Ivan Mazur
Ivan Mazur rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Josiah
Josiah rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Bob W
Bob W rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2013
Timothy Little
Timothy Little rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2014
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2013
Hope Golden
Hope Golden rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2010
Conrad
Conrad marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2010
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2010
Trung Dang Le
Trung Dang Le marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2010
John
John added it
Jul 16, 2010
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2010
Adam P., Jr.
Adam P., Jr. marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2011
Stewart
Stewart marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2011
Brittany Gatchell
Brittany Gatchell marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2012
Davor Nikolic
Davor Nikolic marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Fabian
Fabian marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Evgeniy
Evgeniy marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Chiara
Chiara marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Mike Williams
Mike Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Plasticsoulder
Plasticsoulder marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Neil Rempel
Neil Rempel marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2010
Volta
Volta marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2017
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2017
Jean Barry
Jean Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2017
Heather G
Heather G is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2017