Start by marking “Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)

Cookie Dough or Die

(Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery #1)

Olivia Greyson is the proud owner of The Gingerbread House—a quaint shop that specializes in all things cookie—and her best friend, Maddie, is her sidekick, baking up scrumptious treats for their cookie-themed parties. But now they must take a break from baking and turn their attention to recreating a recipe for murder...

No one is more shocked than Olivia when prominent bu
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Berkley Books (first published March 1st 2011)

Stacie Amelotte
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was it an accident, suicide or murder? This book has been on my “to be read” pile forever, it was released in 2011. I’m glad to finally start this series. Culinary cozies are my favorite so I enjoyed the idea of a shop devoted to cookies and cookie cutters. I must admit the beginning was a little slow and I struggled a bit. Truly I believe my frame of mind influenced me so I was determined to give this book a chance. I’m really glad I did. The plot is enjoyable and will keep you guessing as ther ...more
Robin
Apr 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I found the whole situation unbelievable. How could a store completely devoted to selling cookie cutters plus a few baking utensils support two employees? The characters are suppose to be in their early thirties and have the experiences of people of that age (college, careers, failed first marriages) but act as though they barely in their twenties acting like moon-sick calves with their new love-interests, throwing caution to the wind trying to catch a dangerous murderer, and even eating nothing ...more
Jessica
Feb 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
I really hate to give a bad review... that's why I'm not... I just really think it was me this time and not the book. I just couldn't get into the plot and the characters. I will have to pick it up and re-read it at a later date... so...

Dear Cookie Dough or Die,

I sincerely regret to inform you, that I am finished reading you (for now). It is just not working out between us and to be truthful... I'm just not that in to you. Fortunately it is not your fault... this time it's all me. Don't worry..
Suzanne
Olivia Greyson and her Best friend Maddie own The Gingerbread House. A store inside a quaint Victorian home that sells cookie cutters and bakes the best cookies around Chatterley Heights.
When Olivia's friend and mentor is found dead She can't believe it's a suicide and takes it into her own hands to find the killer.

The story is good and I liked the characters. Maddie with her crazy color combos for the cookies and Livie's mom Ellie. Who may be short but oh what a personality. The surrounding cha
Cathy
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The mystery itself was fine; plenty of suspects, plenty of motives and red herrings to keep the reader guessing.

But I am a knit-picker, so I question whether a town that is so small that it only has two officers of the law could really support a store that specializes in cookie cutters (Unless it is a known tourist destination, but then wouldn't there be more that two police officers?) and provide enough income for two people. Also, did Livie and Maddie sell the cookies they made or only use the
Dharia Scarab
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Linda Smatzny
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a series featuring Olivia Greyson as the main character and Maddie as her best friend and business partner. They own The Gingerbread House a shop that features everything cookie but especially cookie cutters. When a good friend and mentor is found dead, it is thought to be an accident but it turns out to be murder and Olivia is not resting till she finds the killer. The book was an easy read.
Julie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I loved this cozy mystery by Virginia Lowell! I just finished a dark, graphic, violent serial killler type novel and needed something a bit lighter . I couldn't put this one down.
Olivia, (livvy) owns a cookie shop with her good friend Maddie. Since moving back to her small hometown, Livvy became close with Clarrise. When Clarrise is found dead, Olivia can't believe it. It looks like Clarrise either accidentally consumed too much wine while taking pills, or committed suicide. Livvy just doesn't
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I found this book very gentle and handled being a new series well. There were murder mysteries and the clues were placed, not obviously, throughout the book. I had a sense of the culprit but was not sure until the ending.

I would make the recommendation that our new friends, Olivia and Maddie learn to eat something other than pizza. I do understand about not being a 'cook' but a baker, however, with the world of take-out at our finger tips, it seems, a lasagna, ravioli, sub-sandwich, something?

T
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
The start of a series with a nice cast of characters, Olivia came back to her home town after her marriage to a surgeon broke down and soon became friends with Clarisse Chamberlain, Clarisse encouraged Olivia to open her cookie shop (selling items for making cookies rather than selling cookies, although a lot of baking does happen, especially as they provide cookies for parties etc), after Clarisse dies suddenly Olivia and Maddie (her best friend and co-worker) start to investigate as an acciden ...more
Jonathan
Really 3.5 stars but I rounded up.

I really enjoyed this book. It suffered from a few first-book blunders, but overall it was an enjoyable read.

The characters were excellently written. I especially loved Livie and Del. Maddie could get a little bit annoying, but for the most part she was an enjoyable character. However, at the same time I absolutely detested Lucas and Hugh, I don't know what it was about them, but I just did not like them.

The mystery was simply alright. The MC did a good amount o
Rage
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
like pretty much everyone else has already said: can a shop that only sells cookie cutters survive? and, can the main character survive when she only eats pizza and cookies? the story makes a point out of how she can still fit into a fitted dress, so good for her. I didn't really get involved in the mystery or characters - I found the cookie-themed reveal kind of bizarre. at some point in time I might keep reading this series, but it's not first on my list.
Isis
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
It was a decent mystery, but not all I'd hoped it could be. Some parts of the story were implausible, and could have used more editing.
Sapphyria
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Olivia (Livie) Greyson is the owner of The Gingerbread House, a store on the main level of her Victorian home in Chatterley Heights. The Gingerbread House is a quaint little store that specializes in cookie cutters; from brand new to antique. Olivia also owns a rescue dog named Spunky who certainly brings his own bit of charm to the story, and his interactions in the park with his lab friend Buddy, who is owned by the Deputy Sheriff, are just awesome. Olivia's business partner is her best friend ...more
LORI CASWELL
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Olivia Greyson is the owner of The Gingerbread House which occupies the first floor of her Victorian home in Chatterley Heights. It is a shop that features cookie cutters and other baking items. Olivia lives upstairs with her tiny dog Spunky. Olivia (Livie) and her friend Maddie run the shop and Maddie bakes and creates the most yummy cookies. Olivia gets to be close friends with prominent Chatterley Heights citizen and business woman Clarisse Chamberlain who also has a passion for cookie cutter ...more
QNPoohBear
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Somewhere between 3-4 stars. Enough to want to read more but not enough to say this book was great.

Olivia Greyson has returned to her hometown after her divorce to open The Gingerbread House, a quaint boutique shop that sells vintage and modern cookie cutters. Her best friend Maddie is the baker and creative genius behind the shop's scrumptious treats. Olivia owes her success to a local businesswoman, Clarisse Chamberlain. It was Clarisse who encouraged Olivia to start a business and who helped
Avid Series Reader
Cookie Dough or Die by Virginia Lowell is the first book of the Cookie Cutter Shop cozy mystery series set in a contemporary small town near Baltimore, Maryland. Olivia Greyson lives in a Victorian house, upstairs over The Gingerbread House, her cookie cutter shop. Olivia specializes in antique cookie cutter designs; her best friend and business partner Maddie specializes in baking artistic cookies. Life is mostly idyllic for the two young women, who "do what they love and love what they do" eve ...more
Arlene
Wow, a mystery centered around cookie cutters and collectors. I love that this book is dedicated to members of the Cookie Cutter Collector's Club and to our newsletter "Cookie Crumbs". I wish there was a shop like the Gingerbread House in my city! She talks about D.C. collectors coming in a van to shop at her little store. I am wondering if any of my friends were in that van? I do wish that she had included a little bit more of the cookie cutter lore.
This is an example of a "cozy mystery". Oliv
Nicole Cadet
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
While this is an enjoyable mystery romp (being the first in the series), with some well rounded interesting characters, it was be a little slow in parts. There seemed to be at times a repetitiveness with the descriptions of the baking and decoration of cookies (yes, the primary character and her sidekick run a cookie cutter store with a side of catering, but it did detract at times from the main story).

The books did not give away too many hints about who the actual killer was, which was probabl
Tammy
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book because it takes place in a cookie cutter shop named The Gingerbread House (how cute is that?) I liked the main character, Olivia (or Livie, as she likes to be called)because she is smart, tough, and determined. Her dog, Spunky, is a realistic characteration of a typical small dog, all bark and a lot of love. The way the story evolved, in my opinion, was too slow at the beginning. However, it really picked up during the last 100 pages of the book. Overall, it was an en ...more
Kate
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Oliva owns a cookie cutter shop with her best friend Maddie. When her mentor dies under suspicious circumstances, and the police think it was accidental suicide, Oliva makes it her mission to find out what really happened. I really enjoyed this book- especially the small town setting, Olivia's relationship with Maddie (which is tested by Maddie's new love), and Olivia's Yorkie Spunkey. I also liked the cookie cutter theme (I had no idea they were so collectible!) and the baking/cookie decorating ...more
Grey853
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Do people really collect cookie cutters? I guess so, probably the same people who collect salt and pepper shakers. It takes all kinds.

Livie Greyson runs The Gingerbread House that makes cookies and sells cookie cutters. When a friend and fellow collector dies, Livie's not convinced that it was an accident. Unlike some of the more recent cozies I've read, she at least investigates without being an idiot about it.

I found it an easy, fluffy read, no heavy lifting needed. For a first book in a seri
Ramona Walker
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book as a first in a series. The introductions were smooth and I grew to know the characters over the course of the story. I had misgivings about the story being centered around a cookie cutter shop, but it managed to be a fine setting. It is a little hard to relate to because I do not live in a place where such a shop could likely thrive.

The story was good and had enough branches entwined to lead you on an adventure. A few red herrings were included making you doubt some
❂ Jennifer
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Well, I started out not liking this book and putting it back down to read others. But I think it may have just been the mood I was in, because when I picked it back up I fell immediately into the story. Nice plot line and even though you know who the strongest suspects are throughout most of the book, she did a nice job of keeping me from guessing who really did it. Nice character development as well. This book was enjoyable enough that I'll read the next one.
Taylor GG
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I quite liked this one. It kept me wondering and guessing the entire book. Not an easy thing to do since I usually have already guessed the killer after the first few chapters. This one was well written for a first in the series book. Although the one complaint I have is the reveal for the killer. I felt that could have been written a little better. all in all a good read and I will definitely be checking out the rest of the series.
Casey
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I wihs there was a recipe in the back for cookie dough, as I have never tried to make cookies like these, now I'm ready to give it a chance. I liked the characters, but had a hard time picturing them in my mind. (just me, probably) It was a nice between books read, easy to follow - although I still didn't figure out who did it. (I never do!)
If you have some reading time on your hands, and enjoy a little myster give it a try.
Dawn
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a pleasant little cozy. At first I was not sure of a cookie cutter themed cozy but you know what it works and I loved it. The book went at a good pace and most important this book broke my reading slump. So needless to say will be reading more of this series.
Gail
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is my first cookie cutter mystery, and it was better than I had anticipated. The main characters we were defined with room to grow. Whether they cook or not, they need to expand their menus beyond Petes diner and pizza. Ellie is a character I hope to see more of in future stories .
Dawn
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picnic-bingo
Olivia and her best friend Maddie are owners of The Gingerbread House, a lovely store specializing in cookie cutters and anything you can imagine having to do with cookies. The twosome also bake for cookie-themed parties. Olivia is shocked when she learns that her friend and mentor, Clarisse Chamberlain, is found dead. While is appears to be a horrible accident, Livie can not accept that Clarisse could have been so careless.
Livie decides that she must prove her friend was murdered and enlists Ma
Ppcfransen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
OK story, clever mystery, though perhaps a bit convoluted: (view spoiler) Other than that, well crafted.

I wasn't wowed by the book though. But it flowed well enough to keep me reading. The ending nearly made my drop my rating when (view spoiler)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery, #1)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)

Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery (6 books)
  • A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
  • When the Cookie Crumbles (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #3)
  • One Dead Cookie (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Cookies and Scream (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Dead Men Don't Eat Cookies (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #6)
“She consoled herself with the thought that she looked terrifying.” 4 likes
“You can't control another person's agenda. You can only be clear about your own.” 4 likes