Start by marking “Sleep In Heavenly Peace” as Want to Read:
Sleep In Heavenly Peace

Sleep In Heavenly Peace

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  374 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The author of "Every Move You Make" reveals the true story of Dianne Odell, who in 2004 was convicted of killing three of her newborn children in the early 1980s at her New York home after their remains were discovered in a storage facility in Arizona in 2003. photos. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published January 1st 2006 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Sleep In Heavenly Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep In Heavenly Peace

Jeannie
Apr 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-own
I give up...I've been trying to get interested in this book for weeks and it's just too painful. Not due to the subject matter, which IS painful enough, but this book just isn't going anywhere, it's so repetitive. She denies, they accuse, she denies, she lies, they accuse, she tells more lies, they accuse, it's back and forth and not only boring but confusing. I started to wonder exactly how many babies did die. I hated the way this book was written. It's like this...lay the facts out and let th ...more
Carol Ann
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is a truly terrible story about a woman who kills her newborns when there is no father on the scene. She totes these remains around in boxes and suitcases until she tires of it and leaves the remains in a storage unit.

M. William Phelps has the story down pat, but he is the most repetitive writer I have read in years. I thought I would go mad reading and rereading the same facts. I ended up scanni9ng pages that I had already read in an earlier chapter just to remain sane.
J.H. Moncrieff
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it

This book was twice as long as it needed to be. Somewhere, there must be a contingent of true crime lovers who hanker for repetition and learning about the childhoods and professional backgrounds of every lawyer and cop involved in each case, given how many of these books include this info. As for me, I really couldn't care less about the prosecutor's military background, let alone read about it twice, especially since it had no bearing on the events in this book.

And in the end, even wi
Susan
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I just could not stand the way the author laid out the chapters. Mini-chapters within a chapter go back and forth between modern days and the past, or one person then another. It makes for very disjointed reading, as well as much repetition when the author has to repeat things that would not have been necessary had the story been more straightforward. And his sentence structure was maddening. I mean, I use a lot of commas, but Phelps' use is very confusing. I found myself continually re-reading ...more
Jlsimon
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, true-crime
This book tells the story of Diane O'Dell. Honestly I think Phelps does a great job at providing primary sources for this book. Much of it is based on the trial and interviews with O'dell herself. I cannot say I connected with anyone in this book which always makes a tougher read for me, but you can't have everything. I cannot relate to anyone in this book.

Was O'dell abused by her parents? Phelps thinks so. Was she as profoundly sexually abused, turned out by her mother to turn tricks? I don't k
Eva Leger
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Shelves: b-true-crime
Another true crime story that just breaks my heart. I don't even know what to say about things like this that happen. Definitely a "good" true crime book if you want to see just how sick and evil some people are.
**I just reread the back of the book and remember more than I did before**
This is about a woman, Dianne Odell, that stored the bodies of three of her infants in a self-storage unit until a man found them in seaked boxes for over twenty years. This happened in 2003 and before that, in 198
Heather
This book became a bit of a non entity for me. The beginning was interesting but it then became laboured and overly detailed with very few facts being turned into many pages. To be honest it should have been a short story, based on the information and the trial outcome.
Talk about a flat ending...... in fact I was going to give it three stars, having written this I have decided on two. Sad to say it feels like it was a sad human story sensationalised to make a longer true crime book.
Tessa Ingram
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story got pretty boring, but that's not Mr. Phelps' fault. The subject is gruesome, but there's no depth to it. A selfish woman has 3 unwanted pregnancies. Rather than have abortions or give the babies up for adoption, she has the babies in her bathroom and either kills them or allows them to die. Disturbing enough on its own, but adding to the mystery is the fact that this same woman had had healthy deliveries in hospitals with other men and chose to keep the bodies of the dead ones in box ...more
Louise
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
From back cover:

"In May 2003, an Arizona man who'd bought dozens of sealed boxes at a self-storage facility's auction of unclaimed property made a horrifying discovery: the bodies of three plastic-wrapped infants, one of which had become mummified over the years. Police traced them to Dianne Odell, 50, a mother of eight children, who admitted the babies were hers but claimed that they'd died of natural causes. She'd kept the bodies for over twenty years before abandoning them.

In 1989, police fou
Mikki
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
I love these types of books; the whole true crime thing. It facinates me to see what in the world went through their minds to make them commit these horrible crimes. This book was in and of itself interesting as the person who committed the crimes can't seem to keep her own story straight! In one story, she was abused by her mother, yet in another, her mom was just distant. Dianne Odell, 50 years old, had 8 children that lived and 4 that "just died", yet they had no burial, were put into boxes o ...more
Joe
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great book on a heartbreaking story, I say this because helpless innocent newborn babies were involved, and in the end...they got justice. Diane Odell had to have been a totally careless, irresponsible, out of control woman when she was young. She didn't even have the decency to give them proper burials, and that makes her below inhuman. Even though she claimed she was physically and sexually abused and pimped out as a prostitute, it's no excuse to kill her newborn children. The story is well- ...more
Rachael
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love true crime books, I am a super junkie when it comes to this genre. I find a lot of books just rehash facts about cases without shining any new light on the case. This is not the case with Sleep in Heavenly Peace. It is full of new information thanks to M William Phelps' interview with Dianne Odell. It made the book incredibly interesting, and heartbreaking as well.
Dianne Odell was a really disgusting and evil person.
SueAnn
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: law-crime, nonfiction
This was one of two true crime audio books that I picked up at the library recently. This one was so good that the other one did not even compare and I could not get past the first CD. The end of story features authors notes and an epilogue by the author. I am looking forward to reading the authors other books.
+*ashley*+
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
OMG! what kind of person can do this to helpless children? This book definately left me upset. I had mixed emotions all througgout the plot of this story. The sad thing is that, of course, this is a true crime, so this kind of evil is true. I would've hate to have been the guy in this situation who bought the contents of her storage and found the boxes of babies.
Mary
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
True story, so was a bit dry, but the content was hard to take and think a woman could be such a contradiction. Such a sad sorry for all involved. She told so many different stories about the same situations...maybe just a pathological liar and we will never know the whole truth. It hit me as hard as Sybil did when I read it in my twenties.
Theresa
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baby killer?

This book was very well written.It is a sad story but if I was on the jury knowing what I know from experience his book I'm not sure I would have reached the same conclusion.
Tiphanie
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking book. Because it was non-fiction it really had me wondering what was going on in this woman's head. I was left still not knowing when I finished but could not put it down. Well written.
Julie
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-william-phelps
There is a lot of repetition, and disjointed reading (from another review). It was hard to get through this one. I felt it was confusing and hard to keep track, especially in the beginning. It was a lot of she did it, no I didn't, yes you did, no I didn't. Moved pretty slow in my opinion.
Lesleyanne Bathory
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This woman clearly knew what she was doing, each time no father is in the picture her child ends up dead, and she keeps them with her. Sick woman.
Sandy
Jan 23, 2012 is currently reading it
Interesting reading.
Don
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is a close-up look at some severe disfunction. Both sad and infuriating.
Chris
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book's plot takes place in Arizona, NY, and in familiar Rome, PA. This is a must-read for my Facebook friends, and for those I grew up with in Northeastern PA!
Natalie
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was interested in the story but the book could have been half as long as it was. I just wanted the author to get on with it.
Donna Reid
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very slow read.....dry
Ide
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Interesting and well-researched story, but Phelps' writing style is a bit dry for my taste.
Marley
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
For what it is, it is pretty good. But I feel like that the author had to add A LOT of unnecessary background to fill the book. Decently written, just not what I was in the mood for.
Gena Koehler
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: true-crime
My least favorite M. William Phelps book so far. The constant jumping around in the chapters made it exceptionally difficult to follow the timeline.
Karol Fernandez
Excellent book.
Melissa
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mmm
Interesting true crime about infantcide. The mother accused changed her story 3-4 times and the police weren't sure if they could charge her.
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Blood in the Snow: The True Story of a Stay-at-Home Dad, His High-Powered Wife, and the Jealousy That Drove Him to Murder
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Son of a Grifter: The Twisted Tale of Sante and Kenny Kimes, the Most Notorious Con Artists in America: A Memoir By The Other Son
  • Predator
  • Kill Grandma For Me
  • A Perfect Husband
  • Mafia Princess
  • Never Enough
Crime, murder and serial killer expert, creator/producer/writer and former host of the Investigation Discovery series DARK MINDS, acclaimed, award-winning investigative journalist M. William Phelps is the New York Times best-selling author of 30 books and winner of the 2013 Excellence in (Investigative) Journalism Award and the 2008 New England Book Festival Award. A highly sought-after pundit, Ph ...more
More about M. William Phelps...